TCN’s 2021 Top 50 Prospect List Countdown

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum TCN’s 2021 Top 50 Prospect List Countdown

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting new approach. I do like it. I definitely miss when we all had the ability to see how guys were doing on a daily basis, as no one really has an idea how much progress anyone made over the summer. Hoping for 2021…

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am curious how he ends up ranked #50 since Brian had him at #46 and Matt at #49. How does that average to 50? Is there another component involved? Last year the community vote was the third component but I can understand if we don’t do that this time.

Also, I like the comparison to Edman.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Why not a community vote? Makes for a lot of fun.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On how the rankings are decided, the two individual rankings were simply averaged. Donovan’s average of 47.5 was 50th-best of the 65 players considered. (It also suggests our two lists are not identical, which is a good thing, IMO.)

On the community vote, it would have been great to include it again. But to be done in time to make the schedule, it has to start just after Labor Day and move ahead fairly briskly. This year, it seemed that everyone was waiting for someone else to step forward and lead the effort on behalf of the community. It is a lot of work.

Even though it will not be a part of the site rankings, you all could still conduct your own voting. Three months remain until spring training…

Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe Black Hills can start it. He’s great at managing it.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, I went back and doublechecked my spreadsheet and found I slightly messed up a few of the numbers when combining. The only impact is that tomorrow’s #49 really should have been no. 50 instead of Donovan, who should be #49. Too late to change now, but I am glad the discussion caused me to verify.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Looks like there’s a new deputy sheriff (Matt Thompson) in town, leaving our esteemed community on the outside looking in, as far as our annual community voting is concerned. Not allowing us to be at the very least, the “third component”, as Scotty phrases it, borders on the unconscionable. We do not want to do our own Top 50 Prospect List just for funzies. Our vote needs to count!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the comments, Pugs, but Matt Thompson is filling the big shoes left by Derek Shore. That has nothing to do with the time problem with the community voting as I explained it. It has now begun on another thread, and I encourage you to participate.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like this Matt Thompson fellow. Seems he’s got a good head on his shoulders. Ludwin the Magnificent is gonna be a good one.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Agreed. Matt’s work had caught my eye several years ago and we have some mutual friends. When I needed to replace Derek Shore in the ranking process, Matt was the first to come to mind. Especially in a year with no games, getting a fresh voice who personally scouts and regularly talks with scouts seemed ideal. I am obviously biased, but I really like the way the 2021 Top 50 is coming together.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

2021 individual rankings – Brian Walton #49, Matt Thompson #38.

Apparently Matt, like myself, seems to be higher on Kruczynski. Outside of Rondon I don’t see any other AA pitchers passing by Kruc. Its true that ’19 and of course ’20 didn’t do much to raise his stock however his ceiling is still there but like Brian pointed out he’ll need to giddyup with a couple of premier prospects likely to be on his heels very soon.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I cannot take exception to Matt’s assessment of Mendoza’s future probably being that of an up-and-down player. He simply lacks the power to be a big-league starter at either infield corner.

I’ve always liked Mendoza and he has shown spurts of hitting very well. Being an up and down hitter and lacking power doesn’t help his stock and probably are Matt’s concerns. His glove will keep him around but he needs to show more up than down at the plate to advance. Also, I don’t know if he will ever gain the power needed to take the next step.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

I really like this countdown and am thankful for it. But it has to be a difficult task given that 2020 was pretty much a year off for these kids. I have to think that if 2020 had been a normal season, Matt and Brian would be closer in their rankings.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thank you for reading and commenting.

What little good news there is out of 2020 is that scouts were given access to alternate camp film, if their organization was willing to share theirs. So, pro scouts have been very busy breaking down video. But of course only a subset of players were in those camps.

I think it is good to have different points of view and that makes Matt Thompson’s addition for 2021 most timely and effective. In today’s case, the difference is perspective. Matt is looking at the player’s skills. I am looking at him as a potential major leaguer for the St. Louis Cardinals. Both are most relevant, but in this particular case, one may override the other.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years