TCN’s 2021 Top 50 Prospect List Countdown

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum TCN’s 2021 Top 50 Prospect List Countdown

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny, I still do not know what your lists mean, no matter what label you put on them. Please clarify. Thanks.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice versatile athlete. Was the QB on the football team, point guard on the basketball team, and SS on the baseball team at Midway HS in Waco, Texas. Became one of the leaders on the LSU Tigers baseball team, starting all 4 years, and helped lead them into the CWS. Was a 2nd team All American and 3rd team All American his junior and senior years. One of the best college defensive shortstops in the country.

In 2019, he played at both Springfield and Memphis, hitting 11 home runs, driving in 51, stealing 14 bases, and having an OBP of .360 in 123 games.

Nice versatile player who projects as #5/#6 infielder. Mini Edman type.

Participant

Paid - Annual

From Brian’s assessment of Robertson:

As the prior rankings indicate, the initial excitement over Robertson waned after his first full season as a minor leaguer,

That’s about how I feel about KR. I had heard that he was an infield general and a heads up guy but its nice to hear it confirmed. His value to the organization seemingly is more than what the stats show us.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ouch for Seijas. I liked him but sort of like Jhon Torres, you have to wonder if the Cards organization soured on him for whatever reason. Hopefully he can use the rest of 2020 to work on whatever the club would like him to and energe with a strong 2021 to follow his very solid 2019 campaign.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Seijas has always been one of Brian’s pets and a fan favorite around these parts, but #28 versus #49? I know that Brian and Matt are taking different routes in their selections so it will be interesting to see where he falls into the Community vote. Somewhere in between is likely.

At 22, Seijas is already a veteran within the organization after signing at age 15 and could very well hit his potential yet.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The “pet” comment is silly, as this community ranked him #24 just last year. As I wrote, the skills that got Seijas added to the 40-man roster at age 21 didn’t disappear the next year, during 2020. Only time will tell if he rebounds, though.

On a general comment, I tend to give players who have done well in the past more of the benefit of the doubt for one bad year. This was clearly a bad year for Seijas, which is pretty amazing since he never threw in even a spring training game.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

TCN 2021 St. Louis Cardinals Prospect #35 – Pedro Pages

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Brian WaltonBrian Walton.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Has always had a nice OBP. In the 3 years he hooted for the Owls – .366, .368, .433.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Yeah I’m still curious on the Seijas story and what actually happened at the Alternative Site this past year.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Is that a photo of Rodriguez? If so it appears he is a LH hitter but his profile says he is a RH hitter.

I would also say that the number of catchers the Cardinals have in their Top 50 is quite amazing. A lot of depth there.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Per the blurb from Matt Thompson, he said that Rodriguez began as a switch hitter before moving exclusively to hitting right handed.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You missed the photo caption at the top of the article, which states Rodriguez is on the left (the catcher), obviously not the Cubs LHH on the right. (FYI, it is hard to get photos out of the DSL.)

Participant

Paid - Annual

Ah ok, that makes sense. I thought that looked like a Cub uniform.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

25 year old Division 3 product, who got it handed to him at Springfield and Memphis in 2019?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Out of these last 19 rankings, going from 32 to 50, I think
    LJ Jones IV has the highest ceiling. Because of his reputed excellent defense, I still like Mendoza a lot, and I would have liked to see him ranked higher than No.45. I hope I get a chance to see him some time. His problem apparently is lack of power. I’m going to keep him in mind when the Community ranking gets up to about No. 25. After that, I think Pedro Pages and Alvaro Seijas, and hopefully, Jack Ralston have the best chance of contributing one day. Kramer Robertson appears to be well-liked because of his aggressiveness, but his hit tool might hold him back. I have a feeling that because of that likability factor he gets a few at bats at the major league level.

Participant

Free

bccran, Parsons threw 165 2/3 innings in 2019. He only threw 57 innings in 2018, 29 1/3 in 2017 and 44 in 2016. 4 of his last 5 appearances in 2019, he pitched poorly. I wonder if he was experiencing fatigue. For now, I will give a little benefit of the doubt.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Could be, Forsch, but those 26 home runs in 83 1/3 innings at Springfield is pretty ugly.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Out of these last 19 rankings, going from 32 to 50, I think
    LJ Jones IV has the highest ceiling.

Mud, all your opinions are well reasoned and I can see where you are coming from. I’d also like to submit the pitcher who was top 10 in the DSL in innings and strikeouts as a 16 year old in 2018, then 2nd in the Gulf Coast League in both innings and Ks as a 17 year old in 2019. He even got the call to pitch in a couple of Florida State League games, where he had one game rained out where IIRC he gave up one run in 4+ innings.

Ludwin Jimenez has the highest ceiling of the guys so far, IMO. Reportedly his velocity isn’t there yet, but he has a frame that should be able to support more and he clearly can already pitch. I like him to be a major league arm some day.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t quite understand the grading difference between control and command. They seem like the same thing.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years