TCN’s 2021 Top 50 Prospect List Countdown

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum TCN’s 2021 Top 50 Prospect List Countdown

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I value Matt’s knowledge, his perspective, and his enthusiasm.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian your assessment of Yepes was spot on and your ranking at #47 seems accurate. I was optimistic about Yepes when he started out so well in the organization and saw a guy that can hit and had some pop. I followed him closely, but as you stated his career stalled and his ceiling has dropped significantly.

A big turnaround year in 2021 is about the only thing that will put him back on the organization’s radar. Otherwise…. well, you stated it already.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Toerner. The hope would be that he can be a CFer who can hit a lot of doubles and triples to go with 10ish HRs.

He has some fairly big splits:

2019 vs RHP: .271/.387/.427
    2019 vs LHP: .183/.322/.183

2018 vs RHP: .325/.435/.400
    2018 vs LHP: .282/.350/.352

Participant

Paid - Three Months

I’m getting kind of nervous that you’re going to miss Dennis Ortega. Right now I like him slightly more than guys like Ju-Rod, Pages, and the intriguing gent who came over with Liberators from Tampa.
    Ortega really passed the eye test last spring, and three years ago he was slightly better regarded than Rodriguez by some who watched them.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Your fears will be realized, Nigel T. Ortega was not ranked here last winter, either, when the community had a 1/3 vote. We merged three lists of 65 prospects and he did not appear on even one of the lists. Since then, he was not invited to the 2020 summer camps, but the guys you cite, Rodriguez and Pages, were there as were others. There were seven catchers in total in the 60-man pool, but he was excluded. So there was no reason for Ortega to rebound in the rankings from year to year. Hope that clarifies…

Participant

Paid - Annual

Can I vote for Rondon at #9 now, if Oviedo is 8? I might miss the next call, and Rondon is high on my list. I would have had him at 8, but Rondon was shaky in spring training, although to be fair it was his first NRI. I still think he has a good chance to be a #3 starter.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Wrong thread C27

Participant

Paid - Three Months

Brian those are valid points about recent assignments. Jose Godoy has little power, but has a nice line drive stroke. It seems like roster spots at all four stops will be very competitive.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

At UCLA, in the tough PAC-12, he was 11-1 with a 2.66 ERA in 17 starts in 2019. Struck out 110 in 101 innings, and had a WHIP of 1.11.

When he was drafted by the Cards, they assigned him to the bullpen at State College, where in 17 games he had a 1.07 ERA and 0.75 WHIP.

Can someone explain why he wasn’t drafted until the 7th round, and why there isn’t more excitement about this prospect in Cardinal Nation?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I feel like the Cards said right out of the gate that Ralston was going to be a reliever. Am I recalling that wrong?

Nevertheless, a two pitch pitcher with neither pitch being plus is why he’s not getting so much love from TCN, it seems. He had those very good stats in his debut, which moved him up in the rankings last year.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

25, I did not see a quote from the team that Ralston’s permanent role would be a reliever, but I could have missed it. The answer could be clear as soon as this coming spring.

To bccran’s point, I think Matt Thompson’s scouting report was very specific about why there is some caution about Ralston. To repeat an oft-mentioned point, there is more to prospect assessment than just the basic baseball card stats, which in this case were clearly exceptional.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe it’s because he was pretty bad at UCLA before his draft season. Or his windmill type unorthodox delivery.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

I really like Jones. Coming out of Chula Vista, CA, he led Long Beach State in hitting his freshman season. He was out his entire sophomore season when he was hit in the hand by a pitch, but came back strong this season for the Dirtbags. The redshirt sophomore hit safely in 12 out of 14 games (.327) before the season was shut down. He has some power potential as he develops due to his 6′ 0″, 225 lbs. frame. He hit 17 home runs his last 2 years at Eastlake High.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Jones is a RH batter correct? His profile in the article has him as LH.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Gutsy to rank a 7th rounder this high, but I like it. If LJ Jones IV pans out, for me, he is the true definition of a sleeper pick. I can’t wait to see how he does when he starts playing for the organization.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, thank you for the correction.

FWIW, Knizner was a seventh-rounder, but he debuted at no. 45.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Gutsy to rank a 7th rounder this high, but I like it.

Actually Jones was selected in the fifth round, but it is still a bit of an aggressive ranking.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Bleacher report says that the percentage of draftees that make it to the majors is –

1st round – 66%
    2nd round – 49%
    Rounds 3-5 – 32%
    Rounds 6-10 – 20%
    Rounds 11-20 – 11%
    Rounds 21-40 – 6%

A question, then. How many of the players on our Top 50 lists make it to the majors? How many for more than just a cup of coffee who end up being starters in the field, or regulars in the rotation or bullpen?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran, those are multiple questions, and good ones without answers readily available. This has been added to my winter projects list.

P.S. Please share the Bleacher Report link. I would like to view the details they used to potentially use as a baseline comparison. Thanks.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Nine additions and nine departures from the TCN 6-17-2020 rankings.

IN: the seven 2020 draft picks plus LJimenez and Redmond.

OUT: Carlson-Cabrera-Ravelo-Shrock-Parsons-Nogowski-Pages-Justo-Robertson.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny, please clarify what your OUT list refers to. They do reflect the site list. Thanks.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Perhaps I should have used ON and OFF.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years