Community 2021 Top 50 Prospect Voting

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Community 2021 Top 50 Prospect Voting

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 235 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sorry folks. I did not mean to confuse things. This year, your voting had already started before you realized you hadn’t hammered out all of the qualification questions. So I shared what we decided for the site – but I also made it clear that was informational only. Hopefully, next year will be normal and you all can get linked into the site rankings again.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Voting ends at 6 PM ET/5 PM CT tomorrow. We still have several who have previously voted and have not chimed in this round. With close tallies so far, your vote makes a difference!!

Also, for 14NyQuisT, would you like your original vote to be tallied or your amended vote? Remember that Woodford and others ARE still eligible. Only Dylan Carlson, Lane Thomas and Genesis Cabrera are not of the guys who could be picked at this time.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Original.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ok, thanks…it has been noted.

We are waiting on potential voters like Pugs, Carioca, padsFS, bccran, and Forsch31, among others, to chime in. The voting is quite close with 7 different players getting votes this round, so the final tally weighs on the balance!!!

Participant

Paid - Annual

12 Torres
    13 Hence
    14 Whitley

Participant

Paid - Annual

12. Hence
    13. Nunez
    14. Torres

Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry I’ve been on the bourbon trail for a bit.

12- Torres has a world of potential and big power possibilities with good defense and a cannon arm. SHould see full season ball in 2021.
    13- Fernandez had a poor 2020, but still a very lively fastball. Going more on his great 2019 milb season.
    14- Locey has a near triple digit fastball, with a chance to remain a starter. He is one of the minor leaguers I was hoping to see play a full season.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Our final rank on #12-14:

12. Jhon Torres
    13. Tink Hence
    14. Malcom Nunez

Voting is now open for #15-17 and will close at 6 PM ET/5 PM CT on Nov 22nd

Participant

Paid - Annual

#15 – WOODFORD

#16 – JFERNANDEZ

#17 – WHITLEY

Participant

Paid - Three Months

15 – Whitley

16 – Woodford

17 – Burleson

Participant

Paid - Annual

#15 – The player from the land of the big Canal who hit .291 with 5 triples and 17 home runs for Memphis in 2019 in 118 games. Mr. “I don’t get no respect”,
    Edmundo Sosa. Versatility at it’s best.

#16 – A pitcher who flew through 3 levels in the system in 2019 with the following ERAs –

Palm Beach – .155
    Springfield – .154
    Memphis – .148

Mr. Junior (“100mph”) Fernandez

#17 – A starting pitcher who also lacks the respect of posters, even though he tied for the most # of starts in the 16 team PCL in 2019 and was among the leaders in ERA and WHIP. The former ace of the Harry B. Panthers – our own Jake Woodford. Mr. durability.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like the picks so far! I really like the explanations. Thanks for sharing, all. We have about 54 hours remaining to vote, so get em in, folks!

Participant

Paid - Annual

#15- Jake Woodford
    #16- Kodi Whitley
    #17- Junior Fernandez

Participant

Paid - Three Months

15. Junior Fernandez – Should be a fixture in the bullpen this season. Needs to work in his change-up and slider into his pitch mix more to keep hitters from sitting on the fastball. I think he’ll have a much improved this year as I think his fastball velocity will back to it’s usual 97-98.

16. Jake Woodford – He would be in contention for the rotation for a lot of teams. Steady performer who will continue to improve and be a good back of the rotation starter for a number of years. I only wonder if it will be for the Cardinals. Pretty good value for this far down the system. He’s probably the victim of prospect fatigue, at least from me.

17. Edwin Nunez – This is admittedly a little high for the Dominican Fireballer. Kind of the antithesis of Jake Woodford (as far as prospect fatigue) He hasn’t pitched an inning in the organization yet, but an 18 year old that has 100 on his resume would be a first round draft pick if he were in the draft. I do wonder how he only signed as an 18 year old the way things go in international signings. A lot of risk with this pick, but a lot of reward too! Somebody has to take the mantle for overhyped international signing and I submit Edwin Nunez. I’ll put a little more about what I’ve read of him in the next round as I think a may get to vote for young Edwin a few times!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll be down for:

15. Kodi Whitley. He will be a nice piece in the bullpen for years to come. He should have a chance to show that this coming year. Hopefully he has a healthy 2021.

16. Edmundo Sosa. I agree with others that he may be a bit underrated. The Cards haven’t given him much of a shot, for some reason. He could be a solid backup middle infielder who won’t walk a lot or hit for particularly much power (maybe 10 HRs in a full season), but could hit .270 and play good defense to back up SS or 2B.

17. Junior Fernandez. He struggled this year, but he has a live arm and probably spots into the 7th or 8th inning long term. Should be a nice up and bullpen piece this coming year, where the upper 90s stuff and wicked change will play well.

Participant

Paid - Annual

15- Fernandez
    16- Locey
    17- Sosa

Participant

Paid - Annual

15 Whitley
    16 Fernandez
    17 Woodford

Participant

Paid - Annual

15. Sosa – I’m inclined to give a player credit for being on the cusp making the team and actually contributing to some wins. I think Sosa is right there. The word last spring was that his coaches were impressed with the gains he made last offseason. As it stands right now, IMO, the only thing that can keep him off the Opening Day roster is if MO signs a veteran as a backup middle infielder (which, unfortunately for Sosa, wouldn’t be out of character for MO to do).

16. Whitley or Fernandez? Fernandez or Whitley? I’ll go with Whitley here only because his progress through the system has been so smooth, whereas Fernandez has had his ups and downs. Kodi Whitley at No. 16.

17. Fernandez. This should be the year that he starts to really realize his full potential.

I was starting to think that, with all the effective relief pitchers that this organization has, they ought to be able to put together a package that includes one or two relief pitchers and use it to acquire an outfield or middle infield prospect. But then, this business of being satisfied if a starting pitcher gives the team only
    5 or 6 innings has really increased the need for relievers. I only hope that the amount of money front office’s give to starters goes down as a result of that shorter workload because these pampered starting pitchers don’t deserve the kind of money that the tough starting pitchers of the past got.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

7 different players voted for this round so far! Three stand abreast of the rest at this point, but a surprise vote or two could sway the tally in the direction of another player.

Voting remains open til 6 PM ET/5 PM CT tomorrow, November 22nd.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Really glad that Cardinals27 voted for Tony Locey. Locey’s really intriguing, and is flying under the radar in the shadow of Liberatore, Thompson, Oviedo, Rondon, Seijas, Hence, etc. His 2019 numbers at U. Of Georgia were eye popping – 11-2, 89 IP, only 51 hits given, struck out 97, had a 2.53 ERA, and a 1.08 WHIP. His only issue was a little wildness with 45 walks. He also gave up 8 home runs. The Cards drafted him in the 3rd round.

After being drafted, he pitches 2 innings in the GCL, and then is promoted all the way up to Peoria. In 10 relief appearances
    and 15 total innings, he has an ERA of 6.00 and a WHIP of 1.67.

But wait a minute. He struck out 28 in those 15 innings. Wow. Do we have another Helsley, Fernandez, Whitley, etc. coming through the system? As Cardinals27 mentioned, he’s hit 100mph on the gun. If he can gain more control, he could be a force at either starter or in the pen some day. Thanks again, Cardinals27.

Participant

Paid - Annual

15.Whitley
    16.Woodford
    17. Burlson

Participant

Paid - Annual

stl25, have the polls closed for #’s 15-17? You aren’t doing a recount are you? lol

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry, I was waiting on Pugs. He snuck in there just before the deadline and I didn’t see.

15. Kodi Whitley
    16. Junior Fernandez
    17. Jake Woodford

Voting for #18-20 is now open. It will close at 6 PM ET/5 PM CT on Nov 25th.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

18.Sosa

19. Burleson

20. Locey

Participant

Paid - Annual

Baseball Reference says Ravelo exceeded rookie limits during 2020 season. Can a player that is not a rookie still be a prospect?

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 235 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years