Community 2021 Top 50 Prospect Voting

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Community 2021 Top 50 Prospect Voting

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 279 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Scotty? Ready to grab the bull by the horns? I think I speak for all here in commending the esteemed Cranny for a job not well done….but extraordinarily so.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looks like there’s a desire to go to voting for multiple players each round. It might be time to do that. And if that’s the case, it’s time for someone else to do the vote counting and keep the thread going.

BC, it’s actually less work because you can leave the voting open a little bit longer each time. But if you have other things to do, I can take the baton after you finish up with the #11 tally.

Participant

Paid - Annual

These next 10 are tough to figure. Fletcher with the highest ceiling, then there’s Torres who still holds all kinds of promise, and then there’s Nunez and his triple crown in the DL. What about Kodi Whitley who has flown through the system and could very likely be a valuable piece of the major league bullpen in 2021? Tink Hence looks like he could have a pretty high ceiling, too. And, IMO, Tony Locey is not getting the love he deserves. And when will Edmundo Sosa finally get his due? Any one of these players could be No. 11.

I’ll go with Fletcher and his very high ceiling at No. 11.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

Fletcher @ 11

Participant

Paid - Annual

Here’s how the voting for #11 came
    out –

14Nyquist – Woodford
    stlcard25 – Fletcher
    gscottar – Woodford
    PugsleyAdams – Fletcher
    grenadier – Fletcher
    mudville – Fletcher
    flood21 – Fletcher

So by a vote of 5-2, the 6’2”, 200 lbs. super all around athlete out of Deering High in Portland, Maine is our #11 prospect.

The Cards signed the 2nd round pick in 2019 for $1.5 million. He was the highest drafted player out of the state of Maine (not exactly a baseball hotbed) since 2008. Tre started out well as a pro, hitting 4 home runs, driving 26, and stealing 7 bases in only 43 games between the GCL Cards and Johnson City after he was drafted.

The voting is now open for the next round. Please select whether you want to vote for 3 or 5 prospects at a time. 3 at a time might garner more detailed narrative why the prospects were selected by the voter.
    Just a thought. Have fun.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yeep… 3 at a time would be the way to go. There’s no deadline set so there is plenty of time to stretch it out.

Participant

Paid - Annual

#12 Woodford
    #13 Torres
    #14 JFernandez

You can throw out the ’20 season for many of the prospects because other than a few rumors out of Springfield who knows? The other prospects, mostly the younger ones, spent 2020 hopefully keeping in shape.
    When 2021 starts up in the Spring we’ll get a better idea of who did what. Using stats from 2019 may not fit what Spring Training will show as production will become apparent.

Did I say “yeep”… that’s not even a word.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Who’s taking the reins? Scotty? 25?

Participant

Paid - Annual

I can’t commit to counting the votes. I am kind of in and out of here due to work commitments. Bcran is doing a great job but if stl25 wants to assist or take over that would be great.

I think voting three at a time is a good idea. I will go with:

#12 Woodford
    #13 Torres
    #14 Nunez

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I can take over, bc. Thank you for the job you’ve done here. Great work!!

We will do three at a time starting with #12-14 here. The system will be weighted so that the first (in this case #12) vote gets 3 points, the 2nd (#13) gets 2 and the 3rd (#14) gets 1. Players who don’t get voted by a particular person for get 0 points that round.

Voting for this round has started and will be complete at 6 PM ET/5PM CT on Thursday, November 19th.

This will be our voting schedule. All rounds will end at 6 PM ET/5 PM CT:

#12-14 ends Nov 19
    #15-17 ends Nov 22
    #18-20 ends Nov 25
    #21-23 ends Nov 28
    #24-26 ends Dec 1
    #27-29 ends Dec 4

Moving to voting in groups of 5:

#30-34 ends Dec 7
    #35-39 ends Dec 10
    #40-44 ends Dec 13
    #45-49 ends Dec 16
    #50-55 ends Dec 19
    #56-59 ends Dec 22
    #60-64 ends Dec 25
    #65-69 ends Dec 28
    #70-75 ends Dec 31

This will put us on schedule to get our 75 done at the same time Brian finishes the countdown here at TCN.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by stlcard25stlcard25.
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just as a reminder for everyone, the following players remain eligible for voting:

Andrew Knizner Voted #7
    Johan Oviedo Voted #8
    Jake Woodford
    JuniorFernandez
    Rangel Ravelo
    Edmundo Sosa
    Justin Williams
    Kodi Whitley
    Seth Elledge
    John Nogowski

NOT Eligible:

Dylan Carlson
    Genesis Cabrera

Participant

Paid - Annual

Is Lane Thomas eligible?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lane Thomas is not eligible, as he was not eligible last year either, I believe.

Participant

Paid - Annual

OK thanks.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My #12-14

12. Malcom Nunez. A power hitting 3B prospect who got a #1 vote at one time, I think he will continue to progress with the bat and become a 1B/DH in the future. Still, there’s a lot of projection left for the guy who obliterated the DSL at 17. Hopefully we see him tearing up Palm Beach or Peoria next spring.

13. Kodi Whitley. A strong contender to be a late inning reliever for St Louis in the future, he got his feet wet this year. I think he’ll be back and forth in 2021 but looking good at each level.

14. Tink Hence. A projectable young arm drafted with the pick we got in the swap with Tampa, he’s got the athleticism to become a rotation stalwart some day. A good fastball and slider give him a nice 1-2 punch. As one of the youngest players drafted, he gets the Dylan Carlson label of “precocious” as he starts his career with the Cards next year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Fletcher #11

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

SoonerinNC, voting for #11 has completed with Fletcher being the winner. We are voting for #12-14 now.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I didn’t know Ravelo was a prospect. He’s 28 years old. I like him. I hope he can get some traction in Bigs. Don’t know where to rank him, although I think he is a better prospect than Nogowski.

Participant

Paid - Annual

12. Torres – He’s still young, stands 6’4″, weighs in at around 200 pounds. He has all of the tools and he’s only 20 years old. MLB ranks him at No. 9. The only red flag that I know of is that he still doesn’t know how to spell his name. Someone should tell him that ‘John’ is not spelled J-H-O-N. Adding to that, whoever volunteers to correct him needs to keep in mind the this kid is 20 years old and stands 6’4″.
    13. Tink Hence – The first three 2020 draftees, Walker, Winn, and Hence, plus LJ Jones, are all lottery tickets. Hence looks like he’s got the athleticism, but so does LJ Jones. I’m going with Hence because of his athleticism and his projectability as an 18 year old kid with a 96 MPH fastball.
    14. Edmundo Sosa – For all the reasons mentioned in previous posts. If he has the kind of spring he was having before the lock down (by the Federal government of all people), he almost for sure will be going north with the team.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

12, Tink Hence

13. Whitely

14. Malcom Nunez

Participant

Paid - Three Months

12. Malcom Nunez – I think Malcom Nunez is set for a huge growth year in his second year in the states. I think there was an adjustment to his first year in the US as well as the advanced competition he faced. He seemed to really turn it on for the JC Cards (RIP, gonna miss my hometown team) in the playoffs. I think he was getting more comfortable not only with the level of competition but in the US. PB will likely hide most of the strides he makes, but once he pushes back to Peoria (hopefully midseason) I think you will see a pretty good surge, if not a full break out.

13. Jhon Torres – Obviously a massive presence with power potential and an above average hit tool. This is what all-star RF look like at his age. If he continues to develop he will be a great piece for the Cardinals OF.

14. Junior Fernandez – I wasn’t sure I wanted to put him over Whitley, but frankly he has a great FB and possibly the best CU in the system. They pair well together and in a relief role I think he’ll continue to be a high leverage reliever and would likely close for a lot of teams that don’t have a Hicks level flame thrower (who does?).

Participant

Paid - Annual

Looks like a new sheriff has ambled into town. How fortunate we are to have been blessed with the likes of Bat Masterson (Cranny) for the first 11 selections, then following that class act up with the wiley Wyatt Earp (Stlcard25) for the remaining 39.

Picks 12-14 have me somewhat bemused. The only certainty I have is that both Malcom Nunez and Tink Hence will be included. I’ll be burning the midnight oil over these next two nights attempting to unearth the perfect compliment to these fine two young ballplayers. Then, it will be no easy task in correctly ranking them in slots 12, 13 and 14. I urge everyone in copying these threads at their completion. It makes great fun to go back and revisit these Top Prospect Projections one, three, five and ten years out.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Andrew Knizner, Jake Woodford and Rangel Ravelo are considered graduated. We decided to be consistent with the national prospect raters.

I guess I missed this on 11-8 from Brian.

So my revised selections are:
    #12 Torres
    #13 JFernandez
    #14 Whitley

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian also stated that Carlson is still eligible on his list but the community decided not to include him. There are going to be some discrepancies.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

NyQuisT, that info is not correct for the community rating. As it’s not being used as part of the TCN rating, we are not using the same eligibility rules.

Just as a reminder for everyone, the following players remain eligible for voting:

Andrew Knizner Voted #7
    Johan Oviedo Voted #8
    Jake Woodford
    JuniorFernandez
    Rangel Ravelo
    Edmundo Sosa
    Justin Williams
    Kodi Whitley
    Seth Elledge
    John Nogowski

NOT Eligible:

Dylan Carlson
    Genesis Cabrera
    Lane Thomas (graduated before last year)

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 279 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years