Community 2021 Top 50 Prospect Voting

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Community 2021 Top 50 Prospect Voting

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 402 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My list:

35) Ludwin Jimenez. He will be top 20 on next year’s list, no doubt about it. I predict he starts the year in Palm Beach and ends in Peoria, posting ERAs under 3.50 at both stops with K rates over 10 and walks under 3. That should be enough to get him noticed, along with a blooming fastball that should have gained a tick or two since we saw him last.

36) Levi Prater. A tough as nails lefty who will pitch his way up the system quickly, I suspect. The 2020 4th rounder will cause his Oklahoma coaches to weep as he will dominate hitters at Palm Beach before looking just as good in Peoria.

37) Pedro Pages. Much like Julio Rodriguez and Dennis Ortega, these next two will probably have their fortunes tied together for a year or two. We may see some separation eventually, but I’m bunching them together right now. Pages had an .823 OPS at State College in his draft year, which is not an easy place to hit. Let’s hope he doesn’t go the route of Jeremy Martinez, who had a great first year and then fell off.

38) Edgardo Rodriguez. He makes some loud contact and may end up being more than just “the other guy” in the Liberatore/Arozarena trade. He will be even higher if he can stay at catcher.

39) Delvin Perez. Could be a defense first shortstop but there’s not a lot of hope for even that if he can’t hit better. He finished the year in 2019 strong with Peoria and will need to show more ability to drive the ball or he will be moving on after next year. That would be a real shame with the guys who could have been picked with the Cards’ selection in that 2016 draft (Carter Kieboom, Will Smith, and Taylor Trammell were all picked shortly after, along with the Cards’ own Dakota Hudson and Dylan Carlson).

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Still missing Sooner, Pugs, bc and Nigel T from the voting. Believe me when I say that one vote could make ALL the difference right now. It’s possible that a player not in the next group currently could be at the top of this 5 by one person’s tally. So come on and vote! About 6 hours to go.

Participant

Free

#35 – Perez
    #36 – Jimenez
    #37 – Jones
    #38 – Prater
    #39 – Robertson

Participant

Paid - Annual

BTW it appears that Fagalde was not taken in the minor league portion of the Rule 5 draft today so he stays in the organization. Good news!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hey bc, is your pick for LJ Jones, or Connor Jones? Just want to make sure. I’ll assume LJ if you don’t check in before I finish the picks.

Participant

Free

LJ Jones. Dynamite athlete. Sorry I didn’t denote.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Voting for #35-39 has closed. This was by far the closest voting yet, as 7 players were a mere 1 vote apart for the last three spots in the group and the first four out. The tally:

35. Ludwin Jimenez
    36. Pedro Pages
    37. Edgardo Rodriguez
    38. Levi Prater
    39. Alex FaGalde

Voting for #40-44 is now open. It will conclude at 6 PM ET/5 PM CT on December 13th.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

40. Parsons

41. L Jones

42. Gragg

43. Redmond

44. Perez

Participant

Paid - Annual

40- Gragg
    41- Redmond
    42- Escobar
    43- Yasenka
    44- Ortega

Participant

Paid - Annual

40. Evan Mendoza
    41. Logan Gragg
    42. Dennis Ortega – Having an impressive offseason in
    Venezuela.
    43. LT Jones IV
    44. Angel Cuenca – 17 year old right-handed pitcher was the
    only 2019 DSL player invited to Instructional Camp last
    spring. In 2019 he pitches 63 innings, 2.00 ERA, 60 SO,
    0.921 WHIP.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry to be a pain, but can I change my selection to the pitcher we drafted today, Garret Williams. Then I am bumping the rest down a peg. Thanks.

40- Williams
    41- Gragg
    42- Redmond
    43- Escobar
    44- Yasenka

Participant

Paid - Three Months

40. Logan Gragg – There’s not much more to say here. If he puts up similar production in a more age appropriate league for him he will shoot up the rankings.

41. Lars Nootbaar – He’s a bat first prospect with a good feel for hitting and an advanced approach at the plate. He seems to have enough arm to play either corner OF spot, but his bat will have to carry him. In his first full professional season in 2019 he played at 3 levels and performed well at each. His numbers at Peoria were particularly good with a 128 by wRC+/DRC+. If he picks up his power numbers at AA/AAA he can force himself into the corner OF conversation. Would be another good lefty bat in the system. I like him a bit better than Conner Capel. He has a ceiling of a starting OF, but more likely a lefty off the bench if he continues to progress. Kind of a mix between Justin Williams and Conner Capel for lefties in the organization.

42. Evan Mendoza – He’s probably the best defensive 3B in the organization (including STL) but he’s way down the list of 3B prospects) With Montero and Gorman on his heels at AA I think his best shot is as a utility IF type. He’s played some SS and 1B and is a good enough all around athelete that I think he would do well enough at any position on the IF. Frankly, he’d look a lot like Tommy Edman in that role. He raked at his primary placements in 2017 and 2018 in SC and PB with a 191/147 wRC+ (187/156 by DRC+) respectively, but stalled out at AA. If he can recover some of that production in AAA then I think he can find a place on major league roster, particularly if can transition to a utility role.

43. Delvin Perez – The good news is he compares favorably with a 17 year MLB veteran SS. The bad news is that it’s Rafael Belliard (Seriously, they’re pretty comparable). He’s still young and still is a great fielder who can make more plays than most at the hardest position on the field. He also had a better year at the plate than I thought with a 101 DRC+ in Peoria. He hit pretty well at the end of the season as well going for a .323 line with 11 of his 32 hits going for xBHs. Of course he also struck out 30% of the time. Overall he could turn into a late bloomer who puts on some much needed mass and can impact the ball a bit more when he does make contact. There’s still a chance for him as a prospect, but needs to show something soon. Even 1st Rounders run out of time eventually.

44. Gianluca Dalatri – This one is a bit of a reach based on projection, so stick with me here. He’s a 6’6″ 240 RHP, undrafted FA. He’s a 7th or 8th rounder in a normal year however. He’s had a number of injuries over the last three years, but when he’s pitched he’s been good. He has great stuff with a good FB with movement that I think will pick up a few MPH as he develops just due to getting healthy (if in fact he stays healthy). He also has a plus change up and good feel for a breaking ball. If the CB doesn’t come along he’s probably going to the bullpen. With a little luck and development he’s a legit middle of the rotation pitcher with a three pitch mix who could advance quickly through the organization. The risk here is high, but if he has healed with the time off he’s likely to jump up the rankings pretty quickly.

Participant

Free

I just don’t know how you can do a prospect rankings on players on who we’re in Springfield for the satellite camp.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

858, it’s just a fun activity based on players we have gotten some look at, new draftees and international signings and their scouting reports, snippets from the team, etc. Naturally it’s not going to be totally accurate, but it helps pass the time while the team is waiting for January.

Participant

Paid - Annual

40. Kramer Robertson
    41. Evan Mendoza
    42. Delvin Perez
    43. Brendan Donovan
    44. Brady Whalen

Participant

Paid - Annual

Also, when you get this far down in the rankings, and with no meaningful data to go on for 2020, it becomes more subjective (i.e. ‘gut’ or faith) and less objective ( data). For example, I listed Angel Cuenca in my last grouping primarily because BW commented in his TCN Prospect Guide 2020 that his coaches brought the then 17 year old over stateside for the Instructional Camp. That tells me that his coaches see something in him that differentiates him from the rest of the players in the DSL at that time. Edwin Nunez got ranked pretty high based on a reported FB reaching 100 MPH and a big signing bonus. Out of respect for the ranking and the other posters, you try to be sincere about your selections, and besides, it’s more fun to be right about your selection, than it is to be wrong.

Participant

#40 – redmond
    #41 – nogowski
    #42 – parsons
    #43 – dperez
    #44 – kruczynski

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My picks:

40. Delvin Perez. Unless he’s that rare type who just never can put on muscle, you’d have to think he’ll get some more meat on his bones some day. It just may be after his baseball career. He could be a backup SS who’s rides his glove to the big leagues.

41. Jeremy Rivas. I don’t know much about him, but the Cards gave him a $600K bonus, so they must have some idea that he could be a good ballplayer. Going on a bunch here. Allegedly he should be able to stay at SS and he has a high offensive ceiling.

42. Evan Kruczynski. He didn’t look great in 2019, but the big lefty should have an opportunity to reassert himself in 2021. He could be an innings eater or perhaps a move to the bullpen will allow his stuff to play up. A mid 90s fastball in a lefty will get you a shot somewhere, some time.

43. Edgar Escobar. I sort of forgot about him, but the 2.45/2.21 FIPs at Peoria and Palm Beach should attract some attention. He should be at Springfield next year with a shot to make his big league debut if all goes right.

44. LJ Jones IV. He’s a highly athletic guy but probably a LF going forward. His bat could carry him up the ladder, and will have to if he’s only a LFer. He’s one of the players for me that I don’t have any real view on as I don’t think this profile is an exciting one. But as a 5th round flier, he’s worth a shot on the off chance that his lack of experience hides a real gem.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

Sorry to have been now. Names I see missing start with Edgar Escobar. He could leap up next year. I think he was stashed low to hide him a little.
    Scott Hurst is going to get MLB at bats next spring if he has progressed, and he could get released if he hasn’t, but that opportunity puts him on the cusp.
    Roel Rameriez is a prospect isn’t he?
    Lars Nootebar is interesting. He is a big ok Skip Shoemaker. He is happy to stay on the low outside strike and stroke it the other way. He has some power, but since the most common pitch you see is low and away and he hits that pitch consistently, it skews his slugging down. Ground balls to short never help. He covers the grass well and has the Skippy arm I referenced earlier.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Voting has closed for #40-44. The final tally:

40. Logan Gragg
    41. Delvin Perez
    42. Evan Mendoza
    43. Chandler Redmond
    44. Tommy Parsons

Voting is now open for #45-49. Voting will close at 6 PM ET/5 PM CT on December 16th.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

40 Nogowski
    41 Delvin Perez
    42 Evan Mendoza
    43 Edgar Escobar
    44 Evan Kruczynski

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nigel T, looks like you must missed the deadline for the voting. A couple of your guys did get voted in this round, so you’ll be able to keep a few and add a couple more for the next batch, which is open now.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

Oops
    45 John Nagowski
    46 Rdgar Escobar
    47 Roel Rameriez
    48 Kramer Robertson
    49 Scott Hurst

Participant

Paid - Three Months

45 L. Jones

46 Donovan

47 Nootbaar

48 Yasenka

49 D. Ortega

Participant

Paid - Annual

45- Williams, formerly rated as # 7 Giants prospect with moving fastball and best curve in Giants system.
    46- Escobar will move fats as he throws strikes and gets swings and misses.
    47- Yasenka was much better than where he was drafted in 2019, Showed improved offerings.
    48- Ortega having a great winter, maybe is ready to move faster. Bat will decide this. Strong defense/arm.
    49- Statler, young, big bodied 2019 HS drafted with lots of upside. Could show ticks up on fastball.

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 402 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years