Community 2021 Top 50 Prospect Voting

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Community 2021 Top 50 Prospect Voting

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 397 total)
  • Author
    Participant

#30 – REDMOND

#31 – TOERNER

#32 – NOGOWSKI

#33 – PAGES

#34 – PARSONS

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m going with one hitter and a bunch of pitchers:

30-Justin Toerner. A lefty who is an above average fielder in CF, plays hard, without a ton of power…I think he could be a fan favorite. It would be nice to see another OFer develop to fill the hole in the system.

31- Ludwin “The Magnificent” Jimenez. Fastball was in the upper 80s, but he was only 17 last year and he has some room to grow into his lanky 6’2″ frame. There must be some deception here, as he’s been striking out batters at a high rate in his young career (8.9 K/9 as a very young player).

32-Seth Elledge. He looked good enough this past year that I think he’ll have a spot in the bullpen for St Louis in the future. This year he may be on the shuttle. Mid 90s fastball and solid breaking stuff to keep the oppositon off balance.

33-Alvaro Seijas. I’m not sure what happened with him this year, but this seems too low anyway. Perhaps he was injured. He was excellent in 2019 with both Peoria and Palm Beach (2.81 ERA combined). The fastball-curve combo could help him pitch out of the bullpen if his frame won’t hold up to starting, which is a concern. At least they got his height fixed finally. Hopefully he gets a chance to shine at Springfield in 2021.

34-Levi Prater. The 3rd rounder who seemed to be forgotten behind the 4th rounder Bedell, Prater could be a LOOGY (or whatever that is in this day and age) or may be able to stay a starter if his velocity improves a little from his current low 90s stuff. He was the #2 starter for his Oklahoma Sooners team last year (1st rounder Cade Cavalli was the #1) and his college coach felt that he was a steal at the 93rd pick. Let’s hope that proves true.

Participant

Paid - Annual

30. Juan Yepez
    31. Kramer Robertson
    32. Evan Mendoza
    33. Alex Fagalde
    34. Seth Elledge

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gscottar with the “All Floor” team. Not a lot of ceiling there, but they will all be in the upper minors and possibly MLB this coming year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Like your picks, Scotty.

30. Alexander “The Great”

31. Juan “Pez” Yepez

32. Evan “The Alley Cat” Kruczynski

33. Evan “Bulldozer” Mendoza

34. Alvaro “Spider Arm” Seijas

Participant

Paid - Annual

Gscottar with the “All Floor” team. Not a lot of ceiling there, but they will all be in the upper minors and possibly MLB this coming year.

I suppose you are right. LOL An organization needs a certain amount of grinders who are dependable even if they aren’t flashy. These five would be on the blue collar list.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Like your picks, Scotty.

Thanks Pugs. I am concerned we will lose Fa Galde in the minor league portion of the Rule 5 Draft coming up this next week so I figured I had better vote for him while I can.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m shaking in my boots too, Scotty. It will be bad news indeed if Alexander “The Great” moves on. Unthinkable news if the cubbies are the fortunate club to nab him. The man has the heart of a lion and the ability to excel in the show. I regard him so highly that Alexander “The Great” actually cracks my Top 10 All Time Favorite Cardinal list, having played no official ML games. FWIW, here’s that coveted list:

1. Tommy Herr
    2. Lou Brock
    3. Bob Gibson
    4. Albert
    5. Ozzie Smith
    6. John Tudor
    7. Joaquin Andujar
    8. Jack Clark
    9. Yadi
    10. Alexander “The Great”

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I suppose you are right. LOL An organization needs a certain amount of grinders who are dependable even if they aren’t flashy. These five would be on the blue collar list.

By proximity, they have a better shot of contributing than the guys who are further away with higher ceilings. It takes some safe picks and some high risk picks to build a good farm system and big league team. I’m going more with the ceiling this year since we haven’t seen most of them in over a year. That doesn’t mean it’s the right call though. I really hope we have a 2021 minors season to enjoy.

Participant

Paid - Annual

30. Seth Elledge – Brian said that the word is that Mike Maddux likes him a lot. That’s good enough for me, although I don’t see where he should be ranked any higher than this.

31. John Nogowski – He is apparently considered good enough to induce the organization to non-tender Rangel Ravelo. Better insurance than Carpenter to handle first base if Goldschmidt can’t play for some reason.

32. Jack Ralston -Two Tommy John surgeries is worrisome. But when he actually starts pitching for the organization, he should move significantly higher in the rankings. He’s got a plus curveball with depth and a reliable fastball.

33. Pedro Pages – I say we give this kid a chance to play before questioning his hit tool. He’s already a strong defensive catcher. Looks like he’s packing a few too many candy bars around the waist, but that sort of thing never seemed to bother Prince Fielder.

34. Alex Fagalde – Is his name pronounced fe-GALL-di? No matter. As long as he keeps improving, he’s got a chance to be a major league pitcher. Suspicious of that 85-90 MPH fastball? Think Adam Wainwright. Waino brings hope to all soft throwers, for now and for the future.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

30. Seth Elledge – Good FB/CB. Strange that MLB and FG both have his breaking ball as a plus plus SL, yet his advanced stats only show him with a FB/CB usage rate. Based on the 83 mph avg velo I’d lean CB. Matt Thompson also says CB so, CB it is. Either way seems to get a lot of swing a miss with those pitches with K/9 in the double digits everywhere except AAA. His DRA- and xFIP seem to show him as a bit lucky with his ERA, but he has enough track record at this point, that he’s probably been better than the competition at this point. To reach his potential as a lockdown back of the bullpen arm however, he needs to clean up his control. If that continues to progress in the right direction he could be a real weapon in the bullpen. Even as he is now he’s a useful piece so…I’m probably to low on him. Either way a good piece to have.

31. Alvaro Seijas – Still has the good FB/CB combo. TCN’s write up had concerns about his velocity with it being down at times. This inconsistency might have been why the Cards seem to have cooled on him following a pretty good season of development. His peripherals have been underwhelming at every stop, however with xFIP and DRA- numbers that seem to match his average K/9 and disappointing BB/9. Overall, if he wants to stay in the rotation long term he will need to clean up his control issues and prove he can sustain his velocity over the long term. A FB that can dial up to 97 and a solid CB does make for a pretty good relief prospect though, so his floor seems relatively high.

32. Jack Ralston – Big guy with an overhand delivery and some deception. Good K/9 and BB/9 at State College in 2019. Will be interesting to see what they do with him going forward as he didn’t start a single game for the Spikes. I assume because of the high innings he pitched in college, but maybe they see him as a reliever. He needs a third pitch to go along with his FB/CB combo. Will be interesting to see what they do with him. I’m hoping to see him in the rotation in PB.

33. Ludwin Jimenez – This is completely based on the guess that his FB is going to come along and the velo will pick up. Probably the most boom or bust pitcher they have stateside (unless E. Nunez is in PB). I’m guessing he starts in full season with PB, but will depend on where is FB is in January I would guess. Good CB and CU so he has a good starter mix. If he continues to grow into his 6-2 frame and progress as a pitcher he can go as far as his FB will take him. Probably the upside of a mid-rotation guy with a #2 if everything goes right. Can’t wait to see how he looks in the spring.

34. Juan Yepez – Go ahead and admit it. You thought he’d blow up when he got to the hitter friendly TX League. You did, I did…it’s ok. Now he’s a 3B/1B/kinda OF guy who should mash, strike out and hopefully not embarrass you on defense. Not a lot of innings at 3B and 1B where he’s at in the system so hopefully Matt is right about his remade body. Practically everyone has him as a 45ish hitter with power that if it translates into games will play in the bigs. I think he’s a tick better hitter than that with 20-25 HRs sooner rather than later. I’m also voting for him at 34 so clearly I’m not completely sold on that projection. The really good version of him probably looks like his A+ numbers last year around .275 and 20-25 HRs and 20% K rate. Hopefully this is the year he breaks out in AA!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Close, Mudster. It’s pronounced “Fa-Gall-Dee”. Though many, myself included, just prefer Alexander “The Great”.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good to see another member of the Ludwin Jimenez Fan Club™! Grenadier1, you won’t be disappointed.

Once again, voting is coming down to the wire! Voting ends TONIGHT at 6 ET/5 CT, so hurry and get your votes in!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Voting for #30-34 has closed. The picks:

30. Seth Elledge
    31. Jack Ralston
    32. Justin Toerner
    33. Alvaro Seijas
    34. Juan Yepez

Voting for #35-39 is now open. Voting will close at 6 PM ET/5 PM CT on December 10th.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wanted to give a quick update on the eligible/not eligible list. As Ravelo was not offered a contract, I am going to remove him from consideration.

Andrew Knizner Voted #7
    Johan Oviedo Voted #8
    Kodi Whitley Voted #15
    Junior Fernandez Voted #16
    Jake Woodford Voted #17
    Edmundo Sosa Voted #18
    Justin Williams Voted #23
    Seth Elledge Voted #30
    John Nogowski

NOT Eligible (although I’d like to discuss this after our list is done, perhaps):

Dylan Carlson
    Genesis Cabrera
    Rangel Ravelo

Participant

Paid - Annual

35. John Nogowski – It feels kind of weird ranking a player who has a better than even chance of making the Opening Day roster this low. Goldy-esque defense at first base. Not a lot of power. But Nogowski does hit for average (.295 over 6 minor league seasons). So what’s not to like about a line drive that keeps the inning going?

36. Pedro Pages – Very good, and improving, defense and an arm that neutralizes the running game. Now let’s see if Pages can hit.

36. Alex Fagalde – This pitcher is not going anywhere but up. With the kind of improvement that he’s been having each year, you have to think that he’d be knocking at the door of the Majors were it not for the time off because of COVID.

37. Evan Mendoza – Here’s another player that has a chance of going north with the team next spring. There has never been doubt about his defense. Mendoza might be the third base equivalent of Nogowski, exceptional defense and a BA that hovers around .300.

38. LJ Jones IV – Injury problems, then COVID, diminished this player’s exposure. But when he finally did play those 14 games during the COVID-shortened 2020 season, he was an offensive force hitting .327, OPSing .886 with 2 HR’s and 2 SB. On top of that, Jones appears to be hungry for an MLB career and he’s not taking anything for granted. He’s definitely a lottery ticket for the Cardinals because there was so little opportunity to evaluate him. But then, how much is the payoff on the lottery these days?

Participant

Paid - Three Months

35 – Ludwin Jimenez – Sad to see that STLCard 25 TM the Fan Club. I won’t rewrite my previous statements, but he seems like a young pitcher that could really break out as he has been out of the public eye for a year plus and should have had some natural development/growth that I hope will pay some dividends with his stuff. Excited to see him in January.

36 – Levi Prater – Seems like a gamer. Stuff has outperformed better prospects in college. He seems to have a averagish FB combined with a good SL/CU combo. Can probably work as a starter at lower levels with that repertoire, but likely a pretty quick reliever transition with his size and possible ability to get a little more FB velocity in shorter stints. No reason to bet against him yet though as he seems to enjoy defying the odds. If everything goes right he could end up at the back of a MLB rotation, but most likely scenario seems to be middle relief.

37 – Edgardo Rodriguez – If he can stick behind the plate, his bat will play. If he has to switch, he’ll need a lot of development with the bat to carry him. He’s still young and seems to be a pretty advanced hitter for his age. Hopefully his defense comes along, but no reason to think it won’t improve at this point. Pretty good lottery ticket in the Matthew Liberatore trade (see what I did there? #Arozawho)

38 – Logan Gragg – Ended up bumping him up in my rankings. Hard to argue with his production. Proved to be too good for the NY-Penn League in his debut with continued success in Peoria. Cardinals seemed to like him as a starter, but will need his CU to come along to stay in the rotation in my opinion. Has a good frame for starting, but would also be a good FB/SL guy coming out of the pen. No reason to move him out of the rotation yet, unless competition forces him to the bullpen. It will be interesting to see where the Cards place him, particularly if he is in the rotation. I could see him starting out in Peoria again, this time for A+ ball if he starts well in the winter/spring.

39 – Alex Fagalde – Seems to be a pitcher over stuff kind of guy we all want to pull for. Has been very productive in the low minors. AA seems to be the real separator for whether guys like Fagalde can get by with a below avg FB. K/9 has decreased every stop, but that’s not really his game. Got bitten by a the HR at AA which inflated his numbers a large degree. If he can improve his AA numbers and work a promotion to AAA this year, then I think he’s got a good shot. Easy guy to pull for to beat the odds.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

35. Edgardo Rodriguez

36. Tommy Parsons

37. Alex Fagalde

38. Gragg

39. L. Jones

Participant

Paid - Annual

35- Gragg
    36- Redmond
    37- Escobar
    38- Yasenka
    39- Pages

Participant

#35 – REDMOND

#36 – NOGOWSKI

#37 – PAGES

#38 – PARSONS

#39 – DPEREZ

Participant

Paid - Annual

#35- Kramer Robertson
    #36- Evan Mendoza
    #37- Alex Fagalde
    #38- Delvin Perez
    #39- Brendan Donovan

Participant

Paid - Annual

35- Gragg
    36- Redmond
    37- Escobar
    38- Ortega, Dennis
    39- Pages

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve always been a Julio Rodriguez fan, but I am liking what I see in Dennis Ortega. He had brief, good spring this year, has hit well in winter leagues, and is very strong defensively. If he can hit a little, his defense could carry him to a backup MLB job, perhaps more.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27…you voted twice. Are you wanting to amend your vote to the second set? Please let me know.

About 24 hours to go in the vote and it’s quite the race!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry 25, disregard last vote, and I’ll reconsider for next vote.

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 397 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years