Community 2021 Top 50 Prospect Voting

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Community 2021 Top 50 Prospect Voting

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 414 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The final vote:

24. Alec Burleson
    25. Julio Rodriguez
    26. Edwin Nunez

Voting for #27-29 is now open. Voting will end at 6PM ET/5PM CT on December 4.

grenadier1
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

This portion of the Top Prospects list really gives you a chance to deep dive the statistics, and as we all know, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. Hopefully you guys enjoy reading everyone’s thoughts on these guys as I do as I try to bring together a lot of different statistics and opinions from different sources. I bring this up because I wrote a lot more about these guys than I intended to.

27. Andre Pallante – Last pitched for the no longer in the Cardinals system Spikes of State College. (By the way, thanks Brian for posting the everything goes sale for the JC Cardinals in the other thread, scored some sweet JC Cardinals gear at rock bottom prices!) He pitched about 30% above league average by DRA- though xFIP and DRA both have him as a little lucky with his ERA (2.78 vs 3.08/3.38 respectively). Kind of to be expected for a pitcher with average to above average command and control in short season leagues. Overall he seems to have a good FB that will play up in relief and a good to above average slider to pair it with. His frame and stuff really point to a relief role at the big league level if he gets there, but no reason to count him out of a starters role yet. With the starting pitching depth and the reduction in MiLB rotations to fill I will be interested if he is in the PB rotation or if he is relegated to long relief while waiting for a spot to open up.

28. Patrick Romeri – Drafted out of IMG Academy in the 12th Round, which seems like a real oversight by teams. IMG is basically a low level college team with the talent they have. In any case, Romeri was 10-20% (DRC+/wRC+ respectively) above league average as an 18 year old in the GCL. Certainly held his own while producing some solid pop and a good walk rate. 28% strikeout rate is a little concerning, but kind of makes sense for his first “real” taste of pro ball. (did I mention IMG has a lot of talent?) Seems he has a swing geared for contact and an advanced approach at the plate. A swing change may unlock some over the fence pop, but with his youth and size already he should have some natural power to tap into that should translate to games. I could see a 50 hit tool with a 60-65 power grade for him if everything comes together. The loss of 2020 and the loss of JC I think hurts a guy like Romeri as he may or may not be ready for A ball yet. Hopefully the Cards give him the Torres/Nunez treatment and give him some time at PB and then move him to “Johnson City South” if needed, if that becomes a thing. Overall a lot to like about Romeri as he just seems like a true baseball guy. He’s a guy that could really jump up the rankings, but like E. Nunez is a high ceiling / high risk prospect due to how far he is away from the majors.

29. Griffin Roberts – Good FB that plays up in short stints. He has a true outpitch in his slider. He has a good shot as mid rotation type upside if his CU continues to develop but if it doesn’t work out can fall back to a relief roll as a FB/SL guy. Really tanked in his first go round in PB with a 6.44 ERA (66% below average for the FSL by DRA-) and 4.9/4.8 k’s and walks per 9. That’s pretty bad. However his ~15 innings in the AZFL were much better with 3.07 ERA, 11 k’s / 1.2 walks per 9. Obviously much better in a better league. With good stuff and 1 true out pitch you can certainly hope he is able to put it all together this year. The rotations in the minors this year are going to be very competitive, but there’s no reason to believe he doesn’t get a chance in either Springfield or Peoria depending on how things shake out.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like your style, Grenny.

flood21
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

27. Pallante

28. Remori

29. Roberts

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

27- Ralston
    28- Pallante
    29- Toerner

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I believe that this is my first time since we went from single player voting that I get to make an entirely fresh trio, so this is exciting…

27-Justin Toerner. The guy has hit at basically every stop. wRC+ of 134 (Rookie), 142 (high A) and 103 in Springfield to end 2019. He doesn’t appear to be a major slugger (10-15 HRs), but his on base skills and ability to play a solid CF will serve him well. I think he ends up making the big leagues and could surprise people. Brandon Nimmo comes to mind as a best case comparison.

28-Patrick Romeri. A 12th round bonus baby from the highly touted IMG Academy, Romeri has become something of a darling here at TCN. I see why. The Cards took a gamble but if it pays off, he could hit it big. He’s a long ways from making it, but the tools are there to take a step into Jhon Torres territory in 2021 (potential 25-30 HR slugger with solid RF defense). Hopefully he gets a shot to shine at Palm Beach or Peoria.

29-Ludwin Jimenez. It’s time for this young man to start getting his due. At 16, he was punching out DSL hitters left and right. At 17 he made his stateside debut and finished in the top 10 in the Gulf Coast League in innings and Ks. He even had a cup of tea at Palm Beach as a fill in and held his own in a rain canceled start (4 IP, 1 R). I’m on record as predicting Ludwin to ride his (one day) 95 mph fastball, curve, changeup arsenal to the next Cardinals no hitter in late 2023. The pandemic may cause delays for other players, but not for our young hero Ludwin, who’s surely been spending his time throwing fastballs through wood panels in his spare time this off-season.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

27 Pallante
    28 Remori
    29 Roberts

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sooner and Flood…just to be certain, you voted for Patrick Romeri at 28, correct? I want to make sure I tally your votes correctly.

flood21
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Yes I have Remori @ 28

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

#27- Juan Yepez
    #28- Kramer Robertson
    #29- Evan Mendoza

14NyquisT
    Participant

Grenny…. write on! Much appreciation for your efforts. ***** 5-star stuff.

14NyquisT
    Participant

#27 – ROMERI

#28 – PALLANTE

#29 – REDMOND

bccran
    Participant

#27 – Steven Gingery
    #28 – Griffin Roberts
    #29 – Patrick Romeri

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

27 – Griffin Roberts
    28 – Steven Gingery
    29 – Patrick Romerinski

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have Romeri at #28

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Surprised by Roberts high placement. He simply has not had the results expected from a high draft pick. Any comp with Gregerson is not valid because Luke originally threw a mid 90s fastball, which Griffin does not have. Perhaps a move to the bullpen will add velocity?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Less than 12 hours to go and we have a couple of stragglers who still may wander in. Voting is tight so every vote counts! Voting closes at 6 PM ET/5 PM CT tonight!

krbpackfan
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looking for a running tally of these rankings. Is there anything out here or do you keep in your personal spreadsheet?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looking for a running tally of these rankings. Is there anything out here or do you keep in your personal spreadsheet?

The first post in this thread has the running list. I have the individual votes in a spreadsheet.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Right about two hours to go and we are missing votes from Pugs and Nigel T… wherefore art thou, you two?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The final tally:

27. Patrick Romeri
    28. Andre Pallante
    29. Griffin Roberts

We are now moving to voting in groups of 5. Voting for #30-34 is open, and will run until 6 PM ET/5 PM CT on Dec 7.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep….I would have voted for Juan Yepez too, if I had been afforded adequate time to lodge my vote. For what it’s worth, I had Alexander “The Great” at #27, Patrick “Romeo” Romeri at #28 and the aforementioned Juan “Yep I Can Hit Major League Pitching” Yepez, ensconced in the #29 slot. Go Birds!

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

30- RAlston was very good in his pro debut.
    31- Toerner going back Springfield possibly would help his offensive numbers.
    32- Gragg has a big, projectable frame and also pitched very well at Peoria in 2019. I look for him to stay there and pitch for the now high A club.
    33- Redmond has intriguing power potential.
    34- Escobar I see as Ferrnando Salas clone, only possibly better. Been very good in all his minor league stops.

flood21
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

30. Seth Elledge
    31. Jack Ralston
    32. Edgardo Rodriguez
    33. Alvero Seijas
    34. Tommy Parsons

bccran
    Participant

30.) Elledge
    31.) Gingery
    32.) Ralston
    33.) Seijas
    34.) Gragg

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 414 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.