Roster Matrix

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Roster Matrix

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 365 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Both are correct. Portillo went up to PB for one day before being returned.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

I have a roster type question that has me confused. On June 1, 2021, Memphis Redbirds placed RF Clint Coulter on the 60-day injured list. Then, on June 24, Memphis Redbirds activated RF Clint Coulter from the 60-day injured list. I’m pretty good at math and that is not 60 days! How were they able to do this? They also show him as a RF, not as a catcher as the matrix has him. Hasn’t been a C since 2014. I’m sure there is a logical reason they were able to bring him back before the 60 day period, but it has me baffled!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe they backdated it to the last time he appeared in a game.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On Coulter:

The reason Coulter is listed as a catcher here is simple. That is how he is represented on Memphis’ official roster, as they provide to the media. He has only played in five games in the field for Memphis, so that they are all in the OF is not that telling. The assertion that he has not played catcher since 2014 is not correct. In indy ball, he played 11 games behind the plate last season and 22 this season, though more of his appearances were in the OF. Frankly, his primary position for Memphis is currently “pinch hitter”.

Why MiLB does what they do, I do not know. Go to MiLB.com and enter his name in the search box. Nothing even comes up. You have to go and find him on the team roster. I know it is supposed to be the “official site”, but there are often discrepancies, so be careful.

Another relevant example that is not specific to Coulter, but MiLB also never acknowledges players who played indy ball, simply ignoring their stats. Also, Coulter’s transaction log states he was signed to a minor league contract, but they entirely leave out that his services were acquired from indy Sioux Falls.

On the 60-day IL thing, I have no idea. FWIW, the team roster and media notes never even mentioned he was out, but he clearly did not play for about three weeks.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

With the draft over now and things starting to settle down (except for draft picks signing and UDFA signings); were you planning a new or updated Matrix with the two DSL teams now playing? Interested to see where all the new draftees end up playing and if current players will have to get cut to make room! What are the roster limits for the various leagues?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

All of the draft picks (and free agents added) are already in the Matrix, but are not counted as signed until they are announced by the Cardinals. The draft picks also have their own team roster, called “Draft Unsigned Players”.

Now that the draft is done, I will clean up the DSL assignments.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Thanks, Brian! I am curious to see what the Cardinals do to accommodate all the extra players. Can you fill us in on roster limits on the lower minor league teams?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think I remember that there is a headcount limit for the MiLB system rather than limits for individual rosters.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The DSL rosters are all current. The US player limit is 180.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Wow I did not know an organization could have that many players throughout. That’s a lot.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The current organization total from top to bottom as shown on the Roster Matrix is currently 270. Before State College and Johnson City were axed, 300 players under contract was not unusual.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How many players can be on Peoria and Palm Beach’s rpster?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

30 each.

I wrote about the roster details here a few weeks ago and plan to revisit the numbers soon.

2021 Cardinals Jupiter Complex Plans and Schedule

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Juan Peralta and William Miranda have swapped roster spots. Transaction was on August 7.

Brian’s already got an article up but Springfield with 5 guys on the IL today.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It appears the second Peralta/Miranda transactions were to correct their own errors made the day before.

jlshetler
    Participant

Free

With Johan Quezada moving from Springfield’s COVID injured list to the 60-day IL, what is his new “available” date?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

jlshetler
    Participant

Free

The top of the Roster Matrix currently (morning of 08/18) says “40+7”, but I think there are currently only 46 players under major-league contracts: 26 active roster + 3 on 10-day IL + 11 on optional assignment + 6 on 60-day IL. I am also only seeing 46 players with their name in bold. Is this just about waiting for Hurst to clear waivers (or not)?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

40+6 is correct. Thanks for the correction. (Hurst cleared waivers, but had already been taken off the 40-man the moment he was DFAed.)

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Brian you have the 40-Man roster at only 39 but I do believe the 40-man became completely full when Waddell was activated off the Covid-IL.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

BlackHills is right. Ali Sanchez is listed on both Cards and Memphis still which may be providing some confusion. The Cards can still move LeBlanc to the 60 day to free up a spot for Hudson, but if Flaherty also comes back, things get a little dicey! Someone may get designated!

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It makes no sense to keep Andrew Miller if they need roster space.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The mistakes are cleaned up. Thank you.

Miller isn’t going to be released with two weeks remaining. His roster spot will be freed up after the playoffs, anyway.

It would seem Flaherty would have to tune up in some minor league games before returning. Time is running out.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Hey Brian,

Help me understand the numbers on the Memphis roster. I count 32 active (not counting Hudson rehabbing) and two on IL. I thought the max number of players could only be 30, so has there been a change for this extended period of 10 games?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Supposedly, the limit at both Triple-A and Double-A was to be 28. In practice, that seems more a suggestion than a hard number. This is not the first time for an overage this season.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 365 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.