Roster Matrix

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Roster Matrix

Viewing 24 posts - 51 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope they follow through with the rumors of flipping the FSL and Midwest leagues between High A and Low A, although it might not matter this year if most of the teams are going to play in Jupiter.

Participant

Free

The Roster Matrix lists 10 unsigned minor-league free agents after the 11/01/2020 additions, but should Ryan Meisinger be added as an 11th? I wasn’t clear exactly what happened with him at the end of the postseason. It looked like he declared free agency after being outrighted.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Meisinger declared free agency at least a month ago. He had been removed from the prior matrix at the time, long before the off-season began. It could go either way as far as listing him now, but I am fine with noting him among the free agents since the value here is to track where the free agents eventually sign.

Thank you for reading and commenting.

Participant

Free

Thank you!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Okay, so teams have to set their 40 man rosters by Friday, November 20, in preparation for the Rule 5 draft. The Cardinals have 37 players currently on their 40 man roster. I think we have to assume that Molina and Wainwright are not going to sign until after the Rule 5, if at all. That mean’s we have 3 players that could be added. The obvious players to be added are Herrera and Rondon. After that, it’s either Julio Rodriguez or Alvaro Seijas, I guess, unless they want to add newly signed Tyler Heineman. Is this correct? I’m asking because this 40 man roster stuff can get hard to figure. It seems like somebody always comes up with a ‘Wait, you forgot something’ comment.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mud, it doesn’t look like you forgot anything major. Always points of opinion exist. Coincidentally, for members, I posted this today. It goes three dozen players deep.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Rondon and Herrera get added and one spot left for Wainwright.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

What’s with all the Memphis assignments yesterday? They added around 21 players and now have 35 players on their roster.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It is probably the organization trying to protect players from being taken in the MLB Rule 5 draft. Brian alluded to that in one of his articles. If players are on the Memphis roster then other organizations would have to place that player on the big league roster for a year if taken in the Rule 5 draft.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian answered that question in the piece he wrote last Sunday about the Rule 5. The way I understand it is that if they assign a player to Memphis, that player can still be drafted in the Rule 5 since he is not protected on the 40 man roster. But the organization that takes him has to keep him on their active roster for the whole season which ties up an active roster space even though that player might not actually be ready to play at the major league level.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

It looks like Alex Fagalde (TCN prospect #43) hasn’t been put on the Memphis roster yet(he’s still listed on Springfield’s) so he would be available to be drafted in the minor league phase without having to go on another teams 40 man roster.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For members, I posted a new article this morning which goes into this in some depth.

Cardinals Rule 5 Draft Preparation Changes

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian wrote:

For reasons only known by them, the St. Louis Cardinals waited until Thursday to add right-handed pitcher Angel Rondon to the 40-man roster to protect him from the Rule 5 Draft.

Maybe they read some of the concerned posts on this board and wised up…lol

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, isn’t the draft on December 10?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, that is correct. Winter Meetings run 12/8-10, with the Rule 5 Draft at the end.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe they read some of the concerned posts on this board and wised up…lol

Mo, blink twice on your next Zoom call if you’re reading. Lol.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Mo, blink twice on your next Zoom call if you’re reading. Lol.

Seriously I read somewhere a couple of years ago that the Cardinals had some junior staff members who regularly patrolled social media and message boards. I have no idea if their findings amounted to anything plus those young staffers have probably since been terminated with all of the covid personnel cuts.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A number of Cardinals employees have full access to this site – names you know and names you don’t. That is all I will say.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Am I correct in saying that Kruczynski is still in the Cardinals organization but Crismatt and Sanchez are not?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Free

After adding Rondon to the 40-man, the Cardinals then protected Jacob Schlesener over Alex FaGalde. Weird. Schlesener’s got nasty stuff but he’s never been able to control it and hasn’t really impressed me.

Viewing 24 posts - 51 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years