Roster Matrix

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Roster Matrix

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, Thanks. This should make for a very competitive fall or spring camps. Tough on the local fans of those teams!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Because of COVID, the fans of the 42 local teams to be eliminated did not even get a final season to say goodbye. Other than MLB, everyone else loses…

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not finding Ravelo on the roster matrix. I think he’s on the active 28, but only 27 listed.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Didn’t see this posted anywhere else when I did a search but the Cardinals acquired Domingo Robles from Pittsburgh today for international bonus capacity.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks, jj.

I was out today, but will be writing up Robles shortly.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Isn’t Robles a minor league FA (if not added to the 40 man roster) at the end of the season?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC, I believe he has another year, but please share your thinking if you suspect otherwise…

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Signed 2014

Looks like 6 full minor league years unless I am interpreting the rule wrong

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Do minor leaguers get a full service year for 2020 without playing? That’s the only season I would question.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, 2020 counts, but the rule is they have to spend seven seasons on a minor league roster before free agency. In this case, 2014 does not count, as his first contract was effective in 2015.

Participant

Free

The 09/22 transactions of Hudson to the 45-day IL and Whitley to the 28-man active roster have finally reduced the 40-man roster to… well… forty men… but it seems that the 60-man player pool is still at 61, right? 28 active + 32 at alternate camp + 1 (Dean) on 10-day IL = 61. Maybe somebody left the Springfield camp when Whitley was activated?
    -Joe

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The alternate camp is no more. Most of the Springfield players have been sent home, but a handful remain in St. Louis working out as roster reserves. I will update the Roster Matrix as soon as we learn what will happen with Ramirez.

P.S. For members, I detailed what is going on in this article.

St. Louis Cardinals to Quarantine – Except for those Excluded

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It used to be 6 full milb seasons before becoming a milb FA. A 7th season could be granted if it was proven that a season was lost to injury. It’s 7 seasons for everyone now?

Also, not to be argumentative, but piratesprospects lists Robles as rule5 eligible for the second time this coming winter and milb FA eligible for 2021. This is sooo 2020 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not argumentative at all. We are all about learning. Pirates Prospects is an excellent site and I have great respect for Tim Williams, who runs it.

Having said that, I stand by what I stated. This is from BA.

MiLB free agency requires players to provide “skilled services as a Minor League Player in seven (7) separate championship playing seasons” as part of their initial contract.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2020-milb-free-agents-eligible-for-free-agency-this-fall/

Putting the rules aside and using common sense, why would the Cardinals acquire a player who will be eligible to leave as a free agent before ever playing for them? This is certainly not a time they have extra 40-man spots to grant to anyone.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wasn’t aware it was 7 seasons. Did that go into effect because of the latest Covid agreements, because I wasn’t aware of it during the 2017-21 CBA.

And, will Robles be Rule5 eligible again, if not added this winter? That scenario would see stl losing him w/out playing for them.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

jj asked:

I wasn’t aware it was 7 seasons. Did that go into effect because of the latest Covid agreements, because I wasn’t aware of it during the 2017-21 CBA.

And, will Robles be Rule5 eligible again, if not added this winter? That scenario would see stl losing him w/out playing for them.

I do not recall. I do know that it was seven years in 2019, as well. It is not COVID-related.

If St. Louis protects Robles on the Memphis roster for Rule 5, a claiming team would have to keep him on their MLB roster for all of 2021 or he would be returned. The risk would boil down to how MLB-ready he appeared to be the last time he played, in 2019. (Note the struggling Pirates did not use him in 2020.)

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Annual

where is Thompson?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, with the elimination of the State College and Johnson City teams, how many players would you guess will be left in the Cardinal organization for next year? In other words, of the 268 currently here, how many will be let go to get to the numbers we need?

I would think that this year’s small draft will have provided at least some of the expected relief that will end up happening, as those top 5 round guys would pretty much all be around anyway and the rest of the rounds would be fill in for guys let go from the lower levels.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

where is Thompson?

Thompson is listed under Palm Beach.

Participant

Paid - Annual

oh.
    thanks.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, you are going to have to slide Edman over to the 2B slot in your roster matrix.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Not much relief needed to find players to drop. All anybody has to do is look at the rosters for Peoria, Springfield, and Memphis.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mud, you may be right. This time last year, we had 322 players in the organization. At the same time in 2018, we had 305. 268 is a big cut already, so there may not be a ton more paring to go to fill out the rosters of the teams we will have next year.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good point on Edman. Done.

To the roster count question, with the teams we know for 2021, 231 would fill the rosters. Add to that injured players.

If you suspect the Cards may add another GCL team, it would go up to 266 plus injured.

HOWEVER, the international signing period opens in January. That could add another 20 players perhaps and another 20 are expected to be drafted in July.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years