Roster Matrix

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Roster Matrix

Viewing 23 posts - 401 through 423 (of 423 total)
  • Author
    Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Not until he files paperwork.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ok, I guess he and Quintana will be removed from the roster shortly after the World Series.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

On the subject of the 40 man roster, I am wondering what might be the thinking as to Jake Walsh. He is 27 now and has only pitched about 40 innings since the end of 2018. Admittedly, he’s looked good for those 40 innings except for his MLB attempt, which was a debacle, as might be expected for a pitcher with <40 innings above A level ball.

He was a good looking starter in A ball in 2018 but went down with an elbow injury early 2019. After a couple months of rehab attempt a torn UCL announced, he had TJ and spent the 2020 covid season recovering. He only got in about 20 innings in 2021 and was out June and July. This year out again much of the year, and got some shots in the elbow. Apparently, not a clean recovery from the UCL repair.

I think he’s been in the organization 6 years now, including 2020, and like I said, has 40 innings above A ball, and hasn’t been able to stay on the field since 2018.

jlshetler
    Participant

Free

I am not sure. I lost a player somewhere during the last matrix period. Just now, I went through my rosters one by one and validated the 235.

Brian, could it be the removal of Gavin Van Kempen, who was drafted but not signed?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good guess, but no, I did not include the drafted but unsigned in the organization total – at least I intended not to!

On Walsh, he clearly survived the first round of cuts and I am glad he did. They will have four 40-man openings as soon as Q and Dickerson declare free agency. That should be enough for a while and maybe the whole off-season.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

I am not sure. I lost a player somewhere during the last matrix period. Just now, I went through my rosters one by one and validated the 235.

I think I found it! Was bored this morning and took it on as a challenge to find the missing player on the matrix. (I think I have too much spare time!) Check the old matrix on 8/31. Two catchers were dropped but only one accounted for.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder how many notable minor league free agents we have? Julio Rodriguez might be one of them.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

cf64 said:

I think I found it!

You did. Thank you for being my proofreader. I will make the necessary corrections.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not sure where this question fits, so I’ll post it here.

Did 2020 count as a season for minor leaguers in regards to 7 year free agency? Julio Rodriguez has played 6 seasons, not including 2020. I am thinking it will not count.

jlshetler
    Participant

Free

By my count, 11 of the 37 players on the roster (29.73% of the team) are arbitration-eligible this year: Cabrera, Edman, Flaherty, Helsley, Hicks, Hudson, Knizner, Montgomery, O’Neill, Reyes, andStratton. That’s got to be some kind of record!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, 2020 applies for all minor leaguers. 2022 is Julio’s seventh season, starting in 2016.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Question for Brian or whoever knows the answer: When do players have to be added to the AAA roster to protect them from the minor league portion of the Rule 5 draft? I’m thinking of Paniagua as well as a few others that are eligible for Rule 5. What is the specific ruling about the minor league portion of the draft?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian usually posts about how many can be protected at Memphis. Not sure the Cards always post a list of those protected though.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals 2021 Minor League Rule 5 Draft Preview

Article from last years minor league rule 5 protection. No time frame on when you protect a prospect though.

I noticed about the 38 man list is how many left the organization.
    Also wondering what qualifies as rule 5 elgible. I’m thinking college from 2019 (and prior) and international signings from 2018

jlshetler
    Participant

Free

The deadline to protect from the Rule 5 Draft was yesterday (11/15), and we added LHP Connor Thomas to the 40-man.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tomorrow, the 18th, is non-tender day.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Brian, after looking at your AAA roster rule 5 projection predictions and comparing it tô the roster matrix where does Grant Black fit in?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good question. Black is an interesting case. Just based on age and time since college, he would be Rule 5 eligible. However, his first two years were in independent ball so they do not count. So he has two more years before becoming R5 eligible.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Per MiLB transaction page:

12/01/22 – RHP Cade Winquest assigned to FCL Cardinals.
    12/01/22 – RHP Joseph King assigned to FCL Cardinals.
    12/01/22 – LHP John Lynch assigned to FCL Cardinals.

These players are officially on the Complex League roster! Lots more movement to come!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

That still leaves arguably the best four from the draft still in roster limbo – Hjerpe, Mautz, Hansen and Rajcic.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Maybe that best four goes straight to Palm Beach instead of FCL?

Viewing 23 posts - 401 through 423 (of 423 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years