Roster Matrix

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Roster Matrix

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 386 total)
  • Author
    jlshetler
    Participant

Free

Thanks, gscottar!

Brian, the matrix currently (9:30 am CT 07/14) shows Memphis as 27+3, but it looks like it should be 28+3. Probably just a discrepancy from the Rondón DFA (which disappoints me).

-Joe

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, it is 28+3 on my work copy, but I apparently neglected to update it on the live version. Corrected now. Thanks!

14NyquisT
    Participant

Giants picked up on Rondon.

jlshetler
    Participant

Free

Cory Spangenberg does not have to be added to the 40-man to play in the Blue Jays series???

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

That is correct. There is a special COVID restriction. He counts against the 26 active, but not the 40. An odd situation certainly.

jlshetler
    Participant

Free

I hope they will pay him for the two days as if he were on the 40-man!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, I believe that to be the case.

bccran
    Participant

Why Spangenberg over Deluzio?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

They play different positions. As I mentioned on several other threads, Spangenberg fills a need as backup third baseman (for Arenado) and second baseman with Donovan likely moving to first for Goldy.

DeLuzio would be redundant with Capel and the Cards aren’t missing any outfielders in the Toronto series anyway. Adding two outfielders would not have been wise, while potentially leaving the infield exposed.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Just saw this on Minor league transactions:

07/27/22 Palm Beach Cardinals released RHP Chris Holba.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Confirmed. Must be doing more cleanup to make room for the new draft picks.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is it not clear another rookie team is needed? The Florida Complex league team alreadty has 40 players on its roster. And the current draft will add 20 or 21 more. How can all these prospects get proper playing time? I know the higher draft picks would surely get preferred playing time, and possibly moved to the Palm Beach team, but then again there is only 5 weeks or so left in the minor league season. I think they should extend the season to match the AAA teams.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I get the impression that the players from the last draft are primarily there to get used to professional ball and to get evaluated by trainers. I think the FCL is more about strength training, drills, and practice, practice, practice, than it is about playing games.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The pandemic lost season and mini draft year obscured the effect of eliminating the two short season rosters. We saw a bunch of crazy level skipping nonsense, but besides that, we really don’t know how the lower end of the player development pipeline is going to work. It seems like they are going to have to get weeded out very quickly. There just isn’t anywhere to park guys while they figure it out. Besides the new draft class, there has to be room for DSL guys to move up so that branch of the pipe doesn’t get plugged up.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27 asked:

Is it not clear another rookie team is needed?

The Astros did it. Instead, the Cards got rid of one DSL team (on the heels of everyone dropping two levels.) That is roughly 105 jobs lost in the last few years.

I think they should extend the season to match the AAA teams.

I get where you are coming from, but it is not likely. The only reason the Triple-A season was extended (costing more money) is that owners put themselves in a bind. They saved a lot more money by cutting September MLB rosters to 28. However, they soon realized they had no one left to bring up in much of September since the Triple-A players went home. MLB would likely balk at the cost of paying the players at other levels for another month.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mud said:

I get the impression that the players from the last draft are primarily there to get used to professional ball and to get evaluated by trainers.

Not the same answer for all. High schoolers will almost always start in the FCL, but there aren’t any of them this year. So the rest applies to collegians.

Position players are immediately thrown into the fire. Many start in full season ball.

Pitchers are evaluated to see where they are physically and are generally treated more carefully the first year. For example in the last draft, McGreevy split between the FCL and Palm Beach and threw just one inning per start.

On the other hand, Graceffo had kept pitching in a summer league right up to the draft and started his pro career at Palm Beach last summer. He threw 26 innings in A-ball and that likely helped him break out in 2022.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Chamberlain not mentioned above:

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Romeri with the well deserved promotion

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

I’m confused… I just saw this on the Cardinals transaction page:

08/01/22 St. Louis Cardinals signed free agent 3B Jake Thompson to a minor league contract.

But when I look on the player page, it shows him on the Jupiter Hammerheads. Even on the bottom of his page it shows the Cardinals signed him and he was placed on the Jupiter squad, and he is indeed on the Milb team page for the Hammerheads! I think somebody goofed!
    Any wisdom, Brian?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I saw that too. It is a mistake. He is a Marlin. Just because the site is “official” doesn’t mean it is always correct!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nothing is official until its on the Roster Matrix thread transaction log.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Very true! I also saw Irving Lopez was on their 7-day IL. When did that happen?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Since Lopez played as recently as last night, that would be some late-breaking news.

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 386 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.