Roster Matrix

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Roster Matrix

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 354 total)
  • Author
    1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Apparently pallante is going to be our fifth starter for now. But marmol doesn’t know who can replace him out of bullpen. I know, his name is Woodford. They need to get rid of some of the other dead weight and bring him back up. Though really the Cardinals don’t deserve him.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Gonna have to start a write in campaign for Woody.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder when DeJong will get called back up? His overall numbers in Memphis aren’t great but he has been rather hot lately. In the last 15 days his OPS is .916.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Do you call him up or trade him for pitching? Seems like Gorman and Donovan have made him less needed.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Once they brought Gorman up the PDJ return seems iffy. He may need an appropriate roster spot to open up that he can backfill.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Paulie would need to keep hitting at that pace and have a rash of injuries to our minf and our 42 year old dh get hurt for it to be a consideration.

We’ve seen this before with Paulie. Ride a hot streak to a meteoric crash. So don’t beleive the hype.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would include Sosa in a trade for pitching. I just don’t like the concept of paying someone to play for another team, which is what we would have to do with PDJ. Edman, Gorman, and PDJ would be a decent middle infield rotation with Donovan the utility guy playing everywhere.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

DeJong making noise again tonight.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

So lets say Mo gets antsy to get PDJ’s contract back on the active roster.

Does he DFA Sosa? You’re still four deep with middle infielders on the active roster; Edman, Donovan, Gorman and PDJ.

Does he send Gorman back down? Sosa doesn’t have trade value unless a club is decimated by injuries, needing a stop gap.

How does Mo navigate this logjamb? Just leave it alone? Phantom injury?

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I’m going to with Phantom Injury for $300, Alex.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Very good questions JJ. I could definitely see an injury developing soon. It saved Dickerson’s bacon for the time being.

From Rick Hummell in the P-D:

Shortstop Paul DeJong, exiled to Memphis on a regular option a month ago, has begun to hit with authority to all fields and Mozeliak said he could see a situation developing.

“We’re very encouraged with that we’re seeing out of him,” Mozeliak said. “I hope it continues. I hope he puts us in a position to make some very difficult decisions.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

The DeJong situation is very complicated right now. There’s a good piece in today’s VEB that clarifies what can and cannot be done about it.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2022/6/13/23165484/what-to-do-about-paul-dejong

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks Ny. That is an excellent read.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I am not sure but if Dejong is sent down after the 5 year Mark and opts for free agency instead of Accepting the assignment doesn’t he lose any remaining guaranteed portion of his salery?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

No CC, 5yrs service time is the point where the contract gets paid in full, even if the demotion is declined.

*Cots transaction glossary

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

The Palm Beach transaction page shows:
    06/11/22 Palm Beach Cardinals sent CF Tre Fletcher on a rehab assignment to FCL Cardinals.

Maybe he can ground out or pop one up!

jlshetler
    Participant

Free

I think the Roster Matrix needs to show Palm Beach at 27+6 with Elijah Cabell off the IL, correct?
    -Joe

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes. Noted in one place but not the other. Thank you for the correction!

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Hey Brian, or anyone else who has an opinion;
    Have the Cardinals entertained the idea of trying Tre Fletcher as a pitcher since he is having such a hard time with the bat? They paid him a healthy signing bonus so may as well try to get something from their investment! If I remember right, he was a two way player before he signed, and has a good arm.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I haven’t heard anything about that.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

How do I embed a tweet? Trying to send roster info from twitter but have been unsuccessful.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Just copy and paste in the twitter link from a twitter post. I do it almost every day.

jlshetler
    Participant

Free

2 questions related to pitches on the MLB IL:

(1) Is it always 10-days for a position player and 15-days for a pitcher, or are there exceptions? I seem to remember pitchers out for only 10 days earlier in the year but I might have dreamt that.

(2) With Flaherty’s move to the 60-day IL yesterday, what is his new first day eligible to return?

-Joe

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Yes it is 10 days for position players and 15 days for pitchers and 7 days for Covid. The pitcher IL rules weren’t fully implemented until May of this year.

2. I think Flaherty will be eligible to come off the IL on August 27.

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 354 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years