Paul Goldschmidt Thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Paul Goldschmidt Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 469 total)
  • Author
    NJ315
    Participant

I could also live with Goldy for 3 yrs so I fail to see the computation problem. 3 yrs at any point after 30 should be enough.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Enough for what? Not to be competitive in signing top free agents. Placing arbitrary limitations on yourself like that would only preclude you from getting top tier guys.

For example, you surely would have passed on Matt Holliday for seven years at age 30, when the end point is exactly the same as signing Goldschmidt for five years at age 32.

You are certainly entitled to your view. I just don’t get it or agree.

NJ315
    Participant

Yes I would have passed on Holliday and Fowler. I really must be missing something on why me not wanting to extend Goldy is so perplexing to others. I don’t get why this is such a point of contention. We disagree but I don’t question your reasoning but you do mine. It is my opinion I am not sure it has to make sense to you or anyone else.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goldy is a lock…. to be extended! It just would not be like this regime to bring in a player of this stature via trade on a one & done basis. I think it’s time to move on to another topic.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goldy wont get less than 5yrs from whomever he signs with it…maybe even 6 or 7 could be the low end

just like people hoping Harper will sign some short term deal…wont happen

I didnt want GOldy not because he would be a great get…but more, we’d be in this position we are discussing…which is trying to decide whether to extend a guy who is older…who very well might be an MVP level player this year

with Pujols we had this quandary too…he was aging and we felt obligated to go really far with him…probably TOO far in hindsight…but here we are again…

I liek Arenado the best of HArper and Machado and Arenado and Goldy…BUT he is the big fish by himself next year IMO…and everyone wants him the same way we would…

either dont spend big and say it…or go big and go big now when you have some momentum and extra appeal from the short term Goldy deal

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goldy has not shown any signs of breaking down which is why I would feel confident extending him.

If I recall, Albert was starting to break down before he ever left here. He had chronic elbow and feet problems so we made the right call there.

NJ315
    Participant

Goldy will get 8 yrs offers from other teams. I wouldn’t give him 5 let alone 8.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mark Saxon on the radio today said he thinks Goldschmidt will get four years, $92 to $95 million. The host mentioned that Jeff Passan of Yahoo had earlier predicted six years at $30 MM (I think). Saxon noted Goldschmidt’s age would preclude that length and no one is signing players that age that long. He cited J.D. Martinez (five years, $110 million) as a better comp due to age.

They also discussed Harper, who the host is in favor of signing. Saxon disagreed, saying that he believes if Harper gets 10 years, $400 million, the contract will end up being a “huge albatross” for the Cardinals. Interesting discussion if you like that kind of thing.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

If Goldschmidt has an OPS around .925 or more this year, I would be willing to give him a 6-7 year contract. I would prefer a 6 year contract with an option year or 2 at the end at the most. Aim for 5 with 2 option years. He should be worth that since he keeps himself in good condition and provides value in the field as well as at the plate.

5 year contract – AAV at $29 million (30,30,29,28,28)
    6 year contract – AAV at $28 million (30,30,29,28,27,24)
    7 year contract – AAV at $27 million (30,30,28,28,27,24,21)

I would give his agent the argument that by structuring the contract that way, we would be able to field a competitive team throughout his contract. He would have the opportunity to potentially play in several World Series.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My question is “How/why could Arizona let this guy go”??? It can’t just be the big money coming Goldy’s way in ’20. And it’s not like they got a pot of gold in return. Something’s not right here.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pugs, look at it this way. Arizona tried to extend him but that went nowhere. If he left as a free agent, all they would get a year from now would be a draft pick. In the trade, they got a comparable draft pick from St. Louis a year early. So they cancel each other out.

So in return for one year of Goldy, they received five years of Weaver and six years each of Kelly and Young. Plus they saved about $13.5 million in 2019.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Indeed…..thanks Brian. It baffles me that AZ couldn’t find a way to extend him. And Goldy strikes me as a loyal fellow who might find it very difficult to distance himself from the huge array of relationships that were formed in Phoenix. Goldy is seeking something that he couldn’t find in the great State of Arizona, and I have a hunch it’s not financial. Let’s hope St. Louis is what he covets. So we must ask ourselves, “What is the allure that St. Louis has for a fellow like Paul Goldschmidt that he couldn’t find in Arizona?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good points, Pugs. If you haven’t already, I recommend you read the biography I linked to about four posts above. Goldy looks like a very interesting man.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goldschimdt seems like a really good solid team guy.A good player to have.Thart said I question the wisdom of signing him for long term at 20-30 million bucks a year.He will be 32 at the end of 2019 season.As all the Harper detractors love o point out …big dollars to guys in their 30s can hurt the team..So you cant have it both ways.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bw52, as they say, the devil is in the details. How many years and how much money? No one knows what is optimal or what it will take. How he performs in 2019 will provide additional information.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Because of both Yadi’s and Goldschmidt’s defensive skills I hope to see more pickoffs and attempts in 2019. I don’t think Yadi trusted (therefore I didn’t either) any first basemen catching and tagging runners other than Albert. But now we have an elite defensive first baseman.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Class act!! Seems like he is a Cardinals kind of guy!!

NJ315
    Participant

He seems to love Arizona. Maybe a reunion for them in 2020?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

NJ315

Participant
    He seems to love Arizona. Maybe a reunion for them in 2020?

I doubt that. The Dbacks aren’t going to come up with that kind of dough.

I would say the early odds on favorites to get Goldy beyond next season are the Cardinals, Astros, or Yankees.

NJ315
    Participant

I was kind of joking. As far as where he ends it will depend on how important is the money for him. If it comes down to only money then Yankees will be. Cards or Astros will depend on how their seasons go.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With Goldy destroying fellow western divisional foes the way he has, then that means he’s hitting mediocre vs a few others. My guess would be vs eastern teams such as NY, Philly, Washington and Atlanta. I would be interested in seeing how Goldy fared on the road vs these right coast clubs. I’ll have to do a little searching when I have time.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I try not to post too many VEB articles on this site since they may be considered a competitor but I thought this was a good one, especially the part about how the Cardinals may want to use a Goldy extension to boost the 2019 payroll so the fans will get off Mo’s back…lol

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2019/1/31/16123156/locking-up-paul-goldschmidt-before-free-agency

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 469 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.