Paul Goldschmidt Thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Paul Goldschmidt Thread

This topic contains 468 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by stlcard25 stlcard25 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 469 total)
  • Author
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d be willing to bet that a team can get Goldschmidt if they are also willing to take Greinke.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d be willing to bet that a team can get Goldschmidt if they are also willing to take Greinke.

If someone from the Houston organization said that Arizona will not trade Goldschmidt, they are assuming that the Cardinals will not take Greinke. And that would be correct if 1. St. Louis will not take on Greinke’s contract or 2. Greinke won’t approve a trade to St. Louis.

ILcardfan
    Participant

Free

If the cards have to take greinke to get goldschmidt maybe that would be a place to get rid of fowler. Assuming both greinke and fowler would wave their ntc.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

I wonder if we would trade for Greinke with the understanding that then we would trade him to a third team, do a three team deal so that everybody gets something…

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Did Morosi take a long Thanksgiving break or something?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You hate trade season don’t you Brian?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe it’s a newer discussion. Even so, this one needs to get done. Goldy would slot in to form a good top of the lineup. A closer to 2017 than 2018 season from Ozuna would make it very good.

Get it done, Mo.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Did you see in Goold’s chat yesterday any mention of talks with Arizona heating up? I did not, but maybe I missed it.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, I don’t hate the trade/free agent season. I follow it very closely and find it very interesting. But there are certainly elements that I dislike. Most prominently fake news or should I say many people’s inability to distinguish between writers wondering about potentials and real news reporting. The instant nature of social media often leads to jumping before thinking. Then people get all lathered up over something of no real significance. JMO.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Getting ‘lathered up’ is kind of fun, Brian.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The 24 hour news cycle perpetutates some of this. MLB TV and MLB Radio have to have content to fill up all of their time slots so their will be endless talk about potential moves we are already familiar with. Their is also endless talk of stuff like rule changes, individual awards, hall of fame voting, none of which I have any interest in.

We all follow baseball for different reasons besides the games themselves. Some like awards, some like the minor leagues and obsessing over prospects, some like trade season, etc…. To each his own I guess.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

We come at these matters from a different perspective. Perhaps some of my apparent cautiousness is because my name (and therefore indirectly my reputation) is attached to what I say and I want to be more than an irrational ranter (not pointing at anyone here). I try to be a voice of reason and encourage the readers to think more broadly as well, by explaining WHY my view is what it is.

For example, it is easy to pound the front office for being “asleep” every time another team gets a player, but there are always multiple angles to any situation. Take Segura. It is very clear he was not a fit for the Cards, yet some were upset that the front office apparently did not try to get him.

Of course, there will be differing points of view. That is expected.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am not endorsing this guy, but he is getting a lot of attention. He also has 118,000 Twitter followers. So there is that. As can be expected, many have very high spirits as a result of this Tweet.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The game of “Twitter telephone” has begun. Guessing his source is named “Incarcerated Bob”!

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hmm…well, I wouldn’t give up Flaherty for just about anyone, but if they can get a reasonable extension (like a 3-$90M or something, not a crazy deal of 5 years or longer) done I’d be ok with giving up either Hicks or Hudson. We shall see.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t include Hudson or Hicks with Flaherty’s name. That’s absurd.

mikeD
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Didn’t Scott Wuerz used to write for the Belleville papaer sports department? I remember him from somewhere.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I really like O’Neill too. Kelly or Knizner are fine to trade as is Hudson, Hicks, or Weaver.

I hope we go after Andrew Miller, Zach Britton, or David Robertson next.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

i am not sure how much i would give up for a 1 year rental, rather just sign Harper…

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Langosch included multiple times in her article yesterday about the calculus of trading “first round picks.” What if Gorman is part of the return, *if* Goldy is traded with an extension as part of the package??

3B is probably the most loaded position in the minors now but a talent like that would be hard to part with.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, Wuerz was laid off by the paper some time back but still writes the “Cheap Seats Blog” they post on the paper’s website. He was one who wrote about Segura, and last week posted about how the Cards should trade for Arenado, which would be cool if he was actually available. I find his opinions can be out there a ways.

I was not intending to call attention to the names he mentioned and certainly do not give them any credence. It was to the fact he is furthering the “big move is coming soon” rumor – without being specific in any way. He didn’t even mention Goldschmidt by name.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When is the last time an elite player forgo free agency to sign an extension while being traded? That rarely ever happens and I would be surprised if it happened in this case although I would love to get Goldschmidt.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Ferrin Talks Goldschmidt

This guy says that Goldschmidt’s new agent has a reputation for steering his clients towards big markets. Implies that is involved with AZ decision to cut bait as to why they wont be able to re-sign him. Of course if true, STL would have the same problem.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From a new Goold article regarding Goldschmidt posted a half-hour ago:

“There was no indication from sources that any move was imminent, only that the Cardinals are looking for clarity in the coming days as next week’s winter meetings approach.”

“While not speaking specifically about Greinke or any other pitcher, the Cardinals have said they would prefer not to absorb a high-dollar pitcher given the depth they already have at the position.”

Basically, the same thing he has been saying for days.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/hot-stove-update-cardinals-explore-goldschmidt-trade-look-for-market/article_ede5a2c2-55da-537f-87d8-2d623517309f.html

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 469 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years