Paul Goldschmidt Thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Paul Goldschmidt Thread

This topic contains 468 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by stlcard25 stlcard25 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 469 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I really only listen to Cardinals radio broadcasts. I love listening to Mike Shannon, as he is living history. It is sort of like your parents or grandparents telling a story. It’s okay if it’s the tenth time you have heard it, because you never know when you might hear it for the last time.

I usually keep the tv audio muted. That way I won’t get annoyed when some announcers start babbling, a la Dick Vitale.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i tend to agree about the audio.. .but it comes with the game sometimes…

nevertheless, yesterday was particularly bad…i have noticed a bit more antics on the broadcasting side (not necessarily our folks) this spring… more interviews and interviewing with players during the game, more talk about non-game related info

i was watching part of an SF spring game and all they talked about for about 4 innings was Harper and whether he’d come to SF, which i get was a potential big deal for them, but as others had mentioned they werent even announcing who was up to bat let alone if it was a switch

i find spring training is so great because it is the one time where the minor leaguers get just a hint of MLB coverage, the rest of the year the MLBers and whatever storylines will dominate, but I want to actually hear about where this quad backup catcher came from and why he is up and info on him….or hear about what is going on in the backfields or in the minors games that might have led to a pinch hit or late game sub

you don’t get those kinds of opportunities in the regular season, and instead of rehashing the same stuff you will do in the regular season why not LEAN into what makes Spring Training unique…that has potential to snag old schoolers and newschoolers at the same time, while breathing a bit of freshness into what can be done

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Did NRI Ryan Meisinger(not to be confused with Springfield starter Casey Meisner) impress anyone else? I saw a dominant arm who we may have overlooked.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I cannot listen to radio much any more. Mike is an institution – a team Hall of Famer – but he has no business calling play by play (especially when John Rooney is sitting right there) and his butchering of player names is 10x worse in spring training. Folks complain about the team keeping players in starting roles who no longer warrant it. What about the booth? (I know this is sacrilege to some, but I’ve felt this way for years.)

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Me, too.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

How old is Mr. Shannon now?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mike Shannon is 79 years old. He has stopped traveling to road games, as I recall.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There is not an overabundance of endeavors that seasoned citizens can do to make really good money. However, calling baseball games for our enjoyment just may be one of them. Vin Scully could still call a whale of a game in his late 80’s. Harry may have had some of his finer broadcasting moments in his late 70’s-early 80’s. Ernie Harwell was certainly no spring chicken when he was calling his best action. And there have been many others. Mike Shannon at age 79? Heck, Mike may be just coming into his own.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I find Mike Shannons mispronunciations of names and descriptions as cute and funny. Sort of an Archie Bunkerism. What’s funnier still is that I know what he is talking about when he does this.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Even if you are right Brian, winning 25% of a house seems rather pointless.

NJ315
    Participant

Close to signing extension with Cards 5/110

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards are near to signing a Goldy extension…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I pretty much predicted this would happen despite the skeptics. Players are realizing free agency is not the way to go.

Goold says the extension is 5/130. Still a great deal for the Cardinals.

NJ315
    Participant

You were right. It will depend on how he ages. Obviously it is the majority opinion that he will age well and that will make it a great deal. I am not so sure he wll but is a done deal so hope for the best.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The 2020 free agent class is really thinning out. Rendon, Cole, Boegarts, JD Martinez, Hamels, and Verlander are still possibilities. Oh yeah and Ozuna.

The first four on that list are represented by Brian’s favorite agent Scotty B.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

“Folks complain about the team keeping players in starting roles who no longer warrant it. What about the booth?”

Brian, that’s a false equivalency at best and whataboutism at worst.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Shannon stumbles over someone’s name it doesn’t cost the Cardinals the game, unlike some of their entitled players.

NJ315
    Participant

I can’t stand listening to him. He is annoying. I rather listen to the opposing team broadcast. Lucky I only listen when they are playing in the west coast and Shannon only does home games.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

I don’t like the 5 years at all. To scared to spend on Harper till Thst age but me problem spending on a 31 year old till he 36.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Be very careful about berating men up in the booth, gentlemen….I’m starting to feel the heat. Speaking of, I called 2 simulated 7 inning affairs this past week in preparation for the opener….and the results were not pretty. But I have an entire week to right the ship, so no fear. As a programming reminder, our first PBP effort will be Friday, March 29th in beautiful Milwaukee, Wisconsin, home of the 2020 Democratic Convention. There will be NO PBP game thread for the season opener, as yours truly and his lesser half will be in attendance, 9 rows back from the Redbirds dugout.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Goldschimdt and hope he will be worth the extension .I know Holliday worked out okay and he was 30 when he signed his extension.So I still question why the Cards didn`t get involved in the Harper sweepstakes where they could have a gotten a player heading into his prime years instead of past 30.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was with you on the extension, gscottar. If it had been for $110M that would have been an insanely good deal. At $130M it’s still a good one. The Cards should get solid value from Goldy for 3 of those 5 years, at minimum.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Goldschimdt and hope he will be worth the extension .I know Holliday worked out okay and he was 30 when he signed his extension.So I still question why the Cards didn`t get involved in the Harper sweepstakes where they could have a gotten a player heading into his prime years instead of past 30.

Because Harper isn’t that good??

With full foresight, if you could have signed Matt Carpenter after 2011, what kind of deal would you have offered? Would it look like 13 years and $330 million? While Bryce has a bit more power, they’re near images in total WAR since 2012 and Bryce has the benefit of that one huge year. They’re both average or worse defenders with good power and on base skills who may never run a high average again. Bryce is probably a 2-7 WAR guy while Marp is more 3-5, so maybe he’s worth a touch more but it’s not like he’s been as good as Goldy who’s put up a dozen wins more than either of the other two since 2012.

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 469 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years