Paul Goldschmidt Thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Paul Goldschmidt Thread

This topic contains 468 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by stlcard25 stlcard25 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 469 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I did not read the article, but I find the suggestion that the Cards would extend Goldy and in doing so, put more money in 2019 to blunt fan criticism of this year’s payroll to be a terribly naive and off-target thought.

If the Cards increased Goldy’s 2019 salary, it would be for one of two reasons. 1) The player wants it and it is viewed as important to seal the extension. 2) The team sees a financial benefit in spending more earlier.

Fan perception would have nothing to do with the structure of a $100-$200 million contract.

Sort of reminds me some people on Twitter, pleading for the Cards to sign Harper because they think social media shaming has an impact on the team’s financial plans – or worse, pleading with Harper to sign with the Cards (as if he has an offer just sitting there on the table).

As the old lady in the Geico commercial with the wall stickeys said when she was unfriended, “That is not how any of this works!”

P.S. Feel free to post links to articles on any site (with proper attribution, of course).

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Actually a higher payroll number for this year would put more pressure on Mo not less.

Bottom line, the pressure only goes away by winning no matter what the payroll number is.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Twitter creates a fire for a cold day. Believe who you choose…

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My purchase of his jersey shortly after the trade has more value now. Ha Ha

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

When IncarceratedBob weighs in, then I’ll believe.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

IncarceratedBob “retweeted” the tweet from Ives. His only baseball-related tweet of the day.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I for one, like the idea. If the 5 years includes 2019, even better. That takes Goldschmidt thru his age 35 season.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Rather been a 2-3 year ext, especially if the 5 years is AFTER this year, but will wait till something is done before i say my piece.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At the risk of jumping ahead too briskly, I hope it’s an additional 5 years….then Goldy would elect to wear Cardinal red vs rattlesnake red come enshrinement time.

mspaid
    Participant

Kids:

I would caution you not count on Goldschmidt signing with the Cardinals then you won’t be so disappointed when he goes elsewhere.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

PadsFS

Participant

Paid – Annual
    I for one, like the idea. If the 5 years includes 2019, even better. That takes Goldschmidt thru his age 35 season.

If true that would confirm VEB’s theory of Mo trying to pad the 2019 payroll numbers to look like a big spender. Having said that it would behoove us to wait for a more credible source. None of the mainstream reporters have said anything about an extension today.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would caution you not count on Goldschmidt signing with the Cardinals then you won’t be so disappointed when he goes elsewhere

I so seldom find it wise to differ with someone with a documented 181 Intelligence Quotient, but this time I’m going for it…..it’s a done deal, Nate!! All they have to do is dot a few “i’s” and cross a few “t’s” and it’s in the books. So nice to have Goldy in the Redbird fold for a championship or two!!

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If true, it does NOT confirm VEB’s theory. It would confirm to me that they were creative to get him signed to an extension. They wouldn’t have to go as long to get him signed.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wow! If this happens, $139M guaranteed, and all going to one person. Imagine that. If that $139M was divided up among the entire 25 man roster, each kid would have $5.56M. Then with that, and the ability to go out and get a real job after baseball, each kid would have really good jump start on having a secure life.

My point is that we throw these completely ridiculous dollar amounts around like it’s totally normal. It’s not normal. It was absurd when these kind of numbers started happening, and it’s absurd now. Just because circumstances are the way they are doesn’t mean they have to stay that way. Change can happen. But first you have to ask for it. Professional baseball needs to be returned to the mainstream of American society.

All this being said, I really, really want them to extend Goldschmidt. He’s everything that’s admirable about a professional athlete.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Wow! If this happens, $139M guaranteed, and all going to one person. Imagine that. If that $139M was divided up among the entire 25 man roster, each kid would have $5.56M.

Some guys are way more valuable to your team than others. Your proposal really cannot be taken seriously.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

The point seems to be the absurdity of today’s contract sizes. Our human infatuation with stars and willingness to pay unreasonable prices to see them is sheer stupidity. Still spending that kid of cash seems not only reasonable but wise from the FO point of view. One game’s salary at that money would be life-changing money for most of us.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

The same argument can be made for movie actors making $20 million a film or tv show actors making $1 per episode. Yes today’s contracts are larger than year’s past but the revenue of the league is also up. The players play the game which drives fan interest, not the owners.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

forsch31

Participant

Paid – Annual
    If true, it does NOT confirm VEB’s theory. It would confirm to me that they were creative to get him signed to an extension. They wouldn’t have to go as long to get him signed.

I suppose your theory would be just as plausible as VEB’s but neither can be proven w/o confirmation of those truly in the know. It really just depends on your point of view of the FO. Some trust them and some do not.

The flip side to your argument would be the team could pay Goldy $15M this year instead of $28M. That $13M in savings could be used to improve the 2019 team, especially since the FO has stated that they are putting a heavy emphasis on 2019.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m wondering if Goldschmidt’s agent isn’t behind Saxon’s ‘Breaking’ news. Maybe his agent is trying to establish a basis for a Goldschmidt extension. Saxon got the idea for this from somebody somewhere. I suspect that the payoff for reporting this apparently fake news is that Saxon will be the first to get the story when something real finally happens.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mud, Saxon refuted a rumor posted by an 18-year old blogger.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, forsch’s view may be a theory, too, but IMO, it is far more plausible.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree it would make more sense to pay Goldschmidt $28M at age 31 instead of at age 36, but again if 2019 is so important wouldn’t it make sense to use the $13M difference to further enhance the club?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No, gscottar. Every season is important in their approach.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The young man who first tweeted about the Goldschmidt contract extension being imminent the other day has issued a retraction and apology. Another blogger set him up and he fell for it. That’s how it rolls out there.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Ouch. At first I thought it was someone who was a part of The Cardinal Nation here (one of the guys has a name close to Ives??), and then I thought it was probably true. Would have been nice…too bad that someone got a bit jumpy and reported bad info. Hopefully a learning moment as that kid seems genuine, anyway.

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 469 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years