Houston Astros Stealing Signs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Houston Astros Stealing Signs

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 559 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Kevin Wheeler made a pretty good point about no punishment for the players:

I’ve been checking on the few Astros fans I’m friends with on twitter and they’ve lost their minds. I used to think they were rational people but after today that is not the case.

Participant

Free

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Maybe, but it seems like they had plenty of evidence anyway. I suspect it is union concerns and the huge challenge in trying to prove which players did what and who didn’t. As Manfred said, he decided before this that the bosses would be held responsible. Far, far less messy this way.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I blame the New England Patriots for societies and major league sports teams acceptance of cheating. IMO, the continual Patriots cheating makes the Astros actions look like choir boys. The Patriots got off fairly easily by trading loss of draft picks, and fines for championships.
    The Astros penalties are pretty harsh, or they will be soon. I see their window of winning closing similarly to the Cubs in the next 2 years, Their top farm system will be tested, as their whole outfield are free agents at the end of 2020, with Greinke and Verlander have contracts expiring after 2021.

Participant

Free

I just read the whole report and think that Cora may receive a lifetime suspension because he devised the schemes and then carried it forward to a new team as its manager. Both teams won World Series partially as a result of his schemes. JMHO But then his minority status may save him and limit the punishment to two years suspended.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Man, the Astros front office is having a terrible off-season!

You gotta think Luhnow had some suspicions of what was going on. He obviously looked the other way, or at least never directly addressed it. As a former boss of mine used to say, that was a CEM – Career Ending Move.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CEM! I like it. (Hopefully not personally, though!)

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Interesting perspective from a former player. MLB protecting “their chicken”…

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Unless someone told Lunhow why do you think he would have a suspicion of what was going on?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC, other than the emails that implicated him and the testimony of others, you mean?

Again, here is what the investigation found.

Manfred report: “…there is both documentary and testimonial evidence that indicates Luhnow had some knowledge of those efforts…”

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I posted this on the Trade sticky. Just wondering, after all of this would any of those Astro players request to be traded now?

r/Rat

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Why, Rats? What is your thinking behind it?

Participant

Free

I’m shocked that after the Astros fired the Manager and GM for being complicit, that the person who masterminded and implemented the cheating is still employed by the Red Sox.

As soon as the Red Sox read that report they should have fired Cora on the spot and every minute they delay is an indictment against them.

Participant

Free

Part of the problem is MLB’s stupid replay system. I’m fine with replays, but using monitors and challenges to call for replays is simply stupid.

Replays should be called by a fifth umpire in the press box or similar location.

Participant

Free

Oquendo11. Actually Cora is probably in more hot water than either Luhnow or Hinch because he is the one who developed the Astros system and took it to the Red Sox too. But there is a separate investigation of the Red Sox and when that concludes Cora will be the former manager of the Sox and out of baseball for some period of time – possibly lifetime suspension.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Well suspicion just doesn’t seem plausible. Either he knew or he didnt. Not sure how he would simply have “suspicion”.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC, the key word in what I cited is “evidence”.

In re-reading the thread, bikemike used the word “suspicion”, but it seems to me that we should refer to the actual report from the investigation. It is a lot stronger than “suspicion”.

Participant

Free

How cynical am I that I think a desperate team will try to hire Luhnow after the 2020 World Series finishes?

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Yes Brian, my original question was directed to bikemike

Participant

Free

MM3 I agree that Cora will be gone after MLB completes the investigation into the Red Sox. But I don’t understand why the Red Sox need to wait for the results of that investigation, this report should be bases enough to fire him!

Participant

Free

Brian, I read Luhnow’s statement about not knowing they were breaking the rules as he didn’t think the system they were using was breaking the rules. I didn’t see it as a statement that he had no knowledge about the team using a system to relay signs. Although I think either way it is interpreted, Luhnow is just trying to cover his backside.

I think this is funny since Luhnow basically stole the Cardinals system for scouting and rating players. Now Luhnow is finally getting some punishment for trying to play at the edge of right and wrong.

Participant

Free

forsch I almost always agree with you, but I see no way that Luhnow would not know that what they were doing was absolutely breaking the rules.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 559 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years