Houston Astros (and Red Sox) Stealing Signs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Houston Astros (and Red Sox) Stealing Signs

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 637 total)
  • Author
    atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Odd how Astros players didn’t know the rules, but the general public did.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

As much as I dislike Boras I may have to agree with him on this one. Luhnow supposedly admitted that he never passed the MLB instruction letter down to the troops and Luhnow and Hinch did tolerate the cheating system. However, whether they read the letter or not I believe a lot of those guys new that it was flat out cheating with at trash can banging system. I think we may have heard the end of the story with respect to the Astros. The Red Sox – more to come.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In other words, “We don’t know what to do until the penalties come down.”

‘Cause for sure, having someone in charge when spring camp begins is highly overrated…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the Astro players deserve to be punished by I agree with Manfred that it would be very difficult to figure out who exactly did what.

I still have some concerns about Jeff Albert though. While his alibi of being in the minors in 2017 makes sense he was clearly in the Astro dugout in 2018 when the cameras were allegedly being used. It is hard for me to believe he wouldn’t have known about that.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Players were reportedly offered immunity in return for securing their willingness to testify. That deal is already done.

Yet, Manfred stresses the cheating was player-driven. So the public is understandably uneasy about the accused perpetrators getting off with no punishment.

The only question now seems to be the players’ public stance on what they did. Some, like Bregman, have been indignant, almost arrogant about it. That does not help public perception.

1982 willie
    Participant

this doesn’t really concern the current cheating mess but I watched a back story on espn about shoeless joe Jackson and pete rose last night. may be old but it was new to me. it was pretty intriguing though it didn’t really bring anything new far as information. it did offer an interesting perspective though. im not going to say a lot so as to not spoil it but I highly recommend it. all im going to say is baseball far as its ruling body as well as the hall of fames ruling body doesn’t have any high ground when it comes to cheating and other offenses like gambling. if you haven’t, I believe all should check the show out.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Not sure if this deserves a separate thread or not, but Mike Fiers (the former Astros picture who was interviewed in The Athletic article that outed the Astros as cheaters) is now being accused of going after underage girls.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Similar to David Freese’s earlier comments. The Dodgers don’t want a vacated title.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

The Astros have named The Toothpick as their new manager

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Well that should keep them out of the World Series for a few years.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well that should keep them out of the World Series for a few years.

Why do you say that? He has a career .532 win% as a manager. He has taken teams to the World Series, NLCS, and several other playoff appearances. The Astros may not make it back to the World Series but it won’t be because of their new manager.

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

Pathetic choice.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Get someone with front office experience but comes in directly from MLB HQ. Seems like a reasonable move…

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<Why do you say that? He has a career .532 win% as a manager. He has taken teams to the World Series, NLCS, and several other playoff appearances. >

I will expand that to say Dusty and Matheny will have the same World Series win records as managers.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

*facepalm* That’s what I get for posting a Bob Nightengale tweet. How him and Heyman remain employed baffles me.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t understand the comments on here regarding Baker. He has won everywhere he has been. Ok he hasn’t won a World Series before? That doesn’t mean he isn’t a good manager.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

gscottar, My only real beef with Baker is that he lets the players run the team. A couple of times with the Reds he let Votto and that motormouth 2B (??) go to the press with stuff that should have come through him. In fact the 2B(??) even interrupted one of his press conferences one time to state some gripe. Darn I can’t think of the name of that 2B(??) but I wonder if he is even still in baseball. At one time he was a very good player. Got into it with Yadi over badmouthing the Cards and then tapping Yadi with the bat to open a game. I can remember 75 years ago. It ‘s just 5 minutes ago that stumps me….LOL

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dusty Baker has had some very good teams, yet he has no championships. He single handedly ruined Mark Prior and Kerry Woods career by leaving them in games too long. IMO, Baker and Matheny are the 2 worst managers currently employed.

Oquendo11
    Participant

Free

MM3, you are thinking of Jimmy Rollins.
    Not my favorite player.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

I actually think he’s thinking of Brandon Phillips. BP wasn’t a bad guy, he just had diarrhea of the mouth, and that will definitely burn some bridges. He certainly pissed off Yadi.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

No it was not Rollins. Back in 2010, this Reds 2B criticized the Cards before a series in Cincy and when he came to the plate to lead off the game he tapped Yadi on the shin pads (as is a normal greeting) and Yadi came unglued and a big tussle resulted in which a Cards backup catcher had a concussion and never played again. The guys name is on the tip of my tongue but evidently my tip is way out there as I still can’t remember his name. In his prime he was a darn good 2B who did a lot of showboating.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dusty Baker has had his moments of infamy no doubt. I remember some shouting matches between him and LaRussa when he was with the Cubs. I am just saying that his w/l record speaks for itself and it is very good. He is the 15th winningest MLB manager of all time.

The Astros are still in win now mode and Dusty is a win now manager so it makes sense. They don’t need to take a chance on a young unproven manager right now. They can do that when their window is closed.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Thanks. It was Brandon Phillips. I think he was traded to Atlanta or was it the Marlins. Anyway, haven’t heard much from him lately. Thanks again. I will forget him by noon…..LOL

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

He got old. Father Time is still undefeated.

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 637 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.