Free agents for 2023

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Free agents for 2023

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 266 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think I’d like to resign Quintana, and of course Montgomery after next season. But I feel like he will want to go back to the Yankees. I think Quintana would cost something similar to Matz.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Montgomery made a comment the other day that he feels wanted by the Cards. It suggested he doesn’t feel that way about the Yankees.

If I was him, I would not go back to NYY without no trade protection.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Quintana would cost something similar to Matz.

Quintana is having a renaissance but he will be 34 next season. I can’t imagine he will get a 4 year deal, although he is more productive than Matz at this time. He should be able to get a 2 year deal, maybe 3.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yea a two year deal with a team option for a third wouldn’t be too bad for him. I would like to see how the season pans out though before committing.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

82willie…I agree. Toss him an offer before the season ends and he becomes a FA, but wait and see how he performs in his next 3 or 4 turns. I think that approach would undoubtedly give the Cardinals more bargaining leverage. If they wait too long, there’s the possibilty that if Jose turns in a first rate performance for the remainder of the regular season and some really nice work in the high exposure of the post-season, there’s the very real possibility that his eyes instantly light up like he just hit jack pot and he holds out for the highest paying bidder willing to pluck him from the FA market. If he tanks during the remainder of the ’22 season, simply hang on to the money and reserve it for a perceived better return.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

As I said elsewhere I think Quintana is looking at 3/24 or 2/20

I cant see Monty signing a short term deal. He is at the prime age for a long term deal. Another year like this one and he is looking easily at 5/100.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If I am the Cards I would consider 2/20 for Q if but not sure I would go 3 years. Probably not.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

CariocaCard…Yep, and I’m a way more than reasonably certain the Redbirds will at least offer up substantially more money for the purpose of avoiding an arb. hearing this winter. After that, you never really know.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Quintana is in a walk year and he’s posting the best stats of his career….. ERA 2.65, WHIP 1.059 It seems unlikely that he’ll ever post stats like that again. Also, the Pirates had him signed for 2022 for a mere $2M. You have to wonder how they got him so cheap. McFarland and VerHagan were good enough in their walk year that the Cardinals wanted them back. Lesson learned?

Montgomery was getting hit pretty hard the last time out. The Cardinals’ defense and bullpen saved him, IMO. I don’t know if the other teams are figuring him out, or if he was not feeling his best. Montgomery pitches kind of like Mikolas, but without the big curveball that Mikolas has been throwing this year. I hope he continues to get better.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

Montgomery will be fine…look at the Yankees with Montas

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I don’t recall Monte getting hit hard at all in his last turn. I remember a lot of ground balls along with a botched DP on one of them, which resulted in the only ER he allowed. I also recall the 8K’s and no BB’s in 5.2 innings of work. And I also distinctly remember that it looked to me as though he didn’t at all want to come out of the game when Marmol walked out to get him with 2 outs in the 6th. He didn’t look too happy about the decision to take him out of the game, but it didn’t look to me like he got hit hard at all. It turned out okay, but I thought at 87 pitches, it was a mistake for Marmol to go get him.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Monty will be in his final arb season in 2023, as an arb4. He will be at 10mil, as a ballpark figure that I like.

Stl will be in Arb negotiations with him this winter, so it’s the perfect time to talk extension.

However many FA seasons you want to buyout, figure 20mil per. Anything less is club friendly or he got many, many years, reducing the AAV.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Might have been better said that there were too many hard hit balls against him, rather than saying he got hit hard. Montgomery was lucky that Marmol and Pallante were able to bail him out of the mess he got himself into in that sixth inning.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know, I didn’t really see much real hard contact vs Montgomery but that’s just me. He could have easily got out of that 6th inning though I had no issue with pallante coming in. I wouldn’t call it bailing him out though, I would call it doing his job.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Montgomery was getting hit pretty hard the last time out.

????

Montgomery GS#s in his three starts with us= 63-70-61.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

Bigger need next year Shortstop or Catcher?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Catcher

GameCard
    Participant

Free

“Montgomery was getting hit pretty hard the last time out. The Cardinals’ defense and bullpen saved him, IMO. I don’t know if the other teams are figuring him out, or if he was not feeling his best. Montgomery pitches kind of like Mikolas, but without the big curveball that Mikolas has been throwing this year. I hope he continues to get better”.

I don’t know what game you were watching but Monty was excellent and pitched a great game and did not get hit hard.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Catcher. A starting catcher.

Edman, Donovan and Gorman can handle the middle and backup infield positions.

If Dickerson is allowed to walk an outfield role is available to fill.

Jbrodie7
    Participant

Free

Catcher for sure… i just dont think im sold on paying Contreras… would love to see them trade with the As for Murphy.. i think hes better and would be much cheaper

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Quintana at 2 years 22 mill, plus a option year triggered by vesting 300 to 350 innings accrued. Montgomery at 5 years, 90-95 mill, plus incentives. Maybe backload the final 3 years?

bccran
    Participant

Signing Quintana and getting an experienced catcher via free agency or a trade would be excellent.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Spot on bcc.

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

GS……exactly. This team has to locate and acquire a ML catcher.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

How much is the team willing tô raise payroll? Bringing back only Waino and Quitana of the FA’s gives us a payroll of about 175 million. Still need an OF reserve who can play defense and possibly a catcher.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 266 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.