Free agents for 2023

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Free agents for 2023

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 266 total)
  • Author
    Card4Ever
    Participant

Free

1. Aaron Judge, Of, Yankees – If Yanks don’t pay enough, no way we do.
    2. Trea Turner, SS, Dodgers – Love him, but stays a Dodger.
    3. Carlos Correa, SS, Twins – Didn’t pay for him last year.
    4. Carlos Rodón, AP, Giants – Heck of a pitcher WHEN healthy.
    5. Nolan Arenado, 3B, Cardinals – If he opts out….. Yikes!
    6. Jacob deGrom, SP, Mets – My 2nd choice of pitchers.
    7. Justin Verlander, SP, Astros – My 1st choice choice of pitchers. 2 years 75-80 million?
    8. Xander Bogaerts, SS, Red Sox, SS 2a
    9. Dansby Swanson, SS Braves – SS 1a
    10. Chris Bassitt, SP, Mets -My 3rd choice of pitchers.
    11. Edwin Díaz, Closer, Mets Not a large need.
    12. Clayton Kershaw, SP, Dodgers – Lifetime Dodger
    13. Willson Contreras, C, Cubs Bad defense, would prefer trade for Murphy.
    14. Josh Bell, 1B Padres – Not need.
    15. Trey Mancini, 1B Astros – Not need.
    16. José Abreu, IB White Sox. Not need.
    17. Nathan Eovaldi, SP, Red Sox – We need a 1 or a 2.
    18. Sean Manaea, SP, Padres -Started the year great, not so much lately.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Doubt we sign any of them.

Who made this list? Eovaldi ahead of Wainwright? Probably not even ahead of Quintana.

bccran
    Participant

I suspect a veteran catcher is all you can expect.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Speaking of catchers, after years of rampant Herrera hype around here, crickets.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for that list C4ever. I like Rodon, Verlander, and Contreras off that list. Any of those three would help the Cardinals a ton.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

If Paul DeJong plays well the rest of this year we will NOT be going after a SS.

We may need a catcher to replace Molina as the jury is still out on Knizner and Herrera.

I suspect Dickerson will be gone and we might need an outfielder. Burleson? Later in the year Walker? We already have O’Neill and Carlson.

And I doubt we go after any pitching since the big thing going into next year will be, hopefully, a healthy Flaherty and Matz.

I am doubting the Cardinals do much this off-season. And who knows, maybe all they need is a little health.

r/Esteemed Rat

bccran
    Participant

Are we really starting to throw hugely expensive free agents around again? Fantasy time?

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well it’s no fun being boring all the time so I’ll bite. I like Verlander off that if healthy. Degrom is great but injuries every year. I don’t see the Cardinals going for him with his injury record. Far as people saying flaherty and matz are going to be healthy, I don’t know how you can say that with any seriousness at this point particularly with flaherty. Even if he manages to stay healthy, is he still a dominant pitcher? Lots of questions even if he comes back and is somewhat effective this year which I think is a mistake but even then long term I don’t know

bccran
    Participant

2023 –

Flaherty
    Montgomery
    Mikolas
    Matz
    Hudson

They also have Pallante, Woodford, Thompson, Liberatore, Graceffo, etc.

If they’re going to sign any free agent for 2023, they would probably bring Waino back and/or extend Quintana. Talk of any other crazy high ticket long term signings of free agents is like spitting into the wind.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well a lot of posters just spit into the wind around here. Nothing wrong with some fantasy picking, if you don’t like the thread, move on. Seems like that was the advice given in another thread.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

I wonder if Parsons or Thomas will be given a look next spring? They are pitching better than Libby right now, but aren’t on the 40 man.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well I wouldn’t count on Matz and Flaherty to stay healthy. That would be foolish to do so.

Hudson’s rotation spot seems rather tenuous at the moment.

Waino and Quintana may come back, hopefully so.

I still see room for another quality starter.

bccran
    Participant

Good idea, willie. Because the Cards simply don’t sign big ticket free agents in the off season.
    Trades? Maybe. But huge contracts to guys from outside the system? Nope. Waste of time talking about it. Unless you have time to waste.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

From looking at the Woodford and Burleson threads the last several weeks there seems to be a lot of time to waste around here.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Somewhere I read or heard the FO was targeting a catcher with a good bat before the deadline. I don’t think they will give up on that search until we find one.

bccran
    Participant

Gscottar – we should go after Judge, Verlander, Trout, and deGroom. Get ‘er done, Mo!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think anyone is suggesting we spend $1 Billion in free agency but there will be room on this roster for an upgrade or two.

bccran
    Participant

gscottar – Where would you fit any upgrades in, besides catcher? Maybe bullpen?

Sure isn’t going to be at the infield corners. Probably not in the outfield with Carlson, O’Neill, Nootbaar, and Yepez, plus Burleson, Walker, and Gomez on the way. At least no long term signs. Rotation? It’s already full with Pallante in the wings and Waino and Quintana as possible additional signees.

I’d look for a trade with O’Neill as a chip.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would definitely try for an upgrade at catcher. I would look for another starter or two and if the price is too high then I would go for a bullpen piece. The rest of the roster looks set to me.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman, Burleson and a pitcher for Aaron Nola. The rotation is instantly upgraded. Dejong plays SS until June when Winn gets called up.

On the free agent market, Mike Clevinger is a guy I’d go after. He’s a solid pitcher who may thrive with our defense and shouldn’t cost a ton as he bounces back from injury.

I also don’t get the people who are down on Herrera. We were spoiled with Yadi, but almost no 22 year old catchers provide positive value, while there’s often a jump at 23 or 24. I’d consider adding a defense first guy and letting Herrera have a run like Knizner got this year. I am pretty sure Ivan develops into an average or better backstop.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

We should sign Wilson Contreras.

bccran
    Participant

Go after a “solid pitcher” when you have Flaherty as a possibility, Montgomery, Mikolas, Matz, Hudson, and both Waino and
    Quantana who could be signed? And Pallante having performed well as a starter? Doesn’t make sense, sorry.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The last two off-seasons we have listed all of these names and declared “we have enough starting pitching.” Then what happened? Multiple injuries coupled with underperformances led to a big problem. Two years in a row Mo had to bring in reinforcements at the deadline because we didn’t have enough starting pitching.

So instead of trying to tread water for the first four months of the season how about let’s get ahead of the game and start the season with enough quality starters?

Oliver
    Participant

Free

They need an ace. Flaherty can’t stay healthy but he has what it takes when healthy. He has started 18 games in the last two years. Big red flag.

bccran
    Participant

If you have a full rotation under contract, how do you budget piling starters on top of starters? And as far as adding at the deadline as needed after “treading water”? All teams in contention seem to do that.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 266 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.