Free agents for 2023

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Free agents for 2023

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 293 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think bringing back those two would have our payroll at less than $175. Probably closer to $160-$165. But to answer your question as to what our payroll will look like I would guess $175 to $180 would be the max.

bccran
    Participant

That seems about right.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have no doubt that the Cards could fund a $200M payroll. Like gscottar, I think they’ll probably be around $170-180M. With the estimate a little shy of $140M, they’ll have some cash. I’d welcome Waino back if he wants to, but I would pass on Quintana. I’m betting he goes back to below average pitcher next year. That should leave around $20-25M to spend on a free agent catcher, bullpen, or rotation upgrade.

bccran
    Participant

Good question about Waino vs. Quintana.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I think catcher and an ace caliber starter are the biggest needs. I just looked up Murphy (admittedly didn’t know much about him) and he’s just what the Cards need. Would Knizner, Libby and Gomez get him?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CFICT, Sean Murphy would be a huge acquisition, but I doubt the FO would put 3 yrs of control in front of Herrera.

My guess is they rent a vet catcher to time share again this season and let Knizner/Herrera push for the most playing time.

The competition would be good for all three and we’d have the proper mlb depth.

The FO could always trade away Murphy after a season or two, but I doubt they trade away valuable pieces to acquire him, and then turn around try to reclaim those type players.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The premiere FA catcher this winter is probably Christian Vazquez, on a multi-year deal, so I’ve already scratched him off my list since he blocks our catcher of the future.

A Tucker Barnhardt type acquisition wouldn’t surprise me. Comparable to the Dickerson signing, he wouldn’t completely block our youth. A low dollar insurance / depth.

I am liking how Knizner is trending in July / August. He is approaching 500 career PA’s and may “break out” (some) down the stretch. If he could get his ops+ in the high 80’s for the season, well, his stock over the winter would have better value.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I do not think we should prioritize catcher. I would go into 2023 with Knuzner and Herrera splitting time. Even Julio Rodriguez has shown improvement this year, and needs to get a look as starter. Picking up an ace type starter would be my number 1 goal. Second, I’d look at a 1 year deal for a shortstop, until Winn arrives.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I doubt the Cards acquire a catcher. They may go after a stronger than normal minor league FA catcher.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Are the Cards ready tô go all in on Burleson as their 4th outfielder? Yepez and Donovan are more players who can play OF but are not really outfielders. Só do they go all in on Burleson or do they look for a better defenive and more experienced 4th OF. I would kick the tires on Bellinger assuming he gets non tendered. I’m thinking he could come cheap (5mm) on a rehabilitation type contract.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC, where do you see Jordan Walker?

I think they will not want to block him. He may not be ready in April, but it will happen in 2023, I predict. In that scenario, Nootbaar becomes the fourth outfielder.

I guess Bellinger could become the DH, but then others would be blocked.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This season O’Neill looks like a 4th outfielder and Noot as a starter.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Even if Walker is ready mid season (nogiarantees) that is 81 games without a sólida 4th OF. Probably be injúrias at some point. The whole Idea of Bellinger is possible quality on a short term Deal.

If mid year Bellinger isnt cutting it you have Walker in the wings. If Bellinger is doing well and you Want tô bring up Walker anyway you simply trade Bellinger.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

I see zero reason to bring in an outfielder. You have Burleson and Gomez. Then, they should be able to keep at least one of DeLuzio or Hurst as an emergency CF.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t say there’s zero reason to bring in an OF. Like CC, I’m ok with going after a bargain on a one year flier. At this point, we could have a very plus OF if O’Neil, Carlson and Nootbaar perform to potential and Walker moves up mid season. As we’ve seen, the floor is fairly low for those three so I’m ok with adding to the floor and building a very high ceiling.

bccran
    Participant

Is Montgomery the ace we’ve been looking for? If Flaherty is healthy in 2023, seems like Monty, Flaherty, and Mikolas would be a pretty strong threesome in the top 60% of the rotation.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I like Burelson as a prospect. I Just dont think he is right for this roster because of his defensive limitations. When all your possible OF replacements are defensive liabilities that is not good roster construction.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We don’t have 3 starting level outfielders on the roster, and no natural CF….Dickerson is a platoon and gone after this year, I love Noot’s energy but it doesn’t always translate, Donovan and Yepez are not outfielders, Burleson seems a stretch for being defensively able and isn’t on the 40.

Walker is late next year and we still know nothign of his capability in OF defense, Hurst and Deluzio are AAAA emergency only guys.

we need another real OF and one that can play CF

I am still a fan of Haniger, strong player, not young enough to command huge money or years, but can play all 3 spots, power and enough speed. At his best he is still a middle order guy (we don’t really need) at worst he will hit for decent average and fine defense (let’s just hope all his bad luck is gone with the weird injuries). Him and Carlson in CF is far better than ONeill or Noot being there.

He protects us from lesser production from ONeill, Carlson, or whatever 3rd outfielder you throw out there from the system and doesn’t force any issue of bringing up young players before they are ready or playing guys out of position

Haniger
    3yr deal with 4th yr mutual option that is player friendly on pricetag

Waino comes back (if not Quintana is option)

Monty gets extension (and Jack probably too)

Knizner and Herrera are given the year to compete and show who is best, but you bring in a vet catcher who is fine being in AAA. You have to give them a year to prove it, they have been planning for this transition and there is no way they are going to just act like they didn;t have a good enough plan, too much pride in how it was all done. They aren’t just going to bring in a catcher and say “We failed”…only outlier is if they want to get Contreras…pluck him from Chicago in FA and invest in that huge arm and bat, knowing they can improve his game calling

Hudson traded for decent prospect (unless you can’t get Haniger and use Hudson to bring in decent 3 OF position OFer…like Tapia from Toronto)

1 signing
    1 trade
    1 important minor league contract signing (catcher)
    several extensions (Monty, Jack, Mik, Carlson, Quintana if Waino retires)

That feels like a typical offseason and reasonable and attainable plan

bccran
    Participant

If Winn arrives at SS, couldn’t Edman play a decent CF? And if you want to keep Edman at SS, couldn’t Winn learn to play a decent CF?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would have interest in Bellinger if he is available but I think the Dodgers will keep him. They like their internal guys. They just extended Muncy and he is hitting .192.

I think our position players are pretty set for 2023. Burleson and Yepez replace Dickerson and Pujols. Everyone else remains the same except catcher. Not sure what we are going to do there.

We will need more pitching though. If Waino comes back he along with Mikolas, Montgomery, Flaherty, Matz, and Hudson will compete for the rotation spots. Assuming there will be injuries we will need more. I would consider Quintana if his asking price isn’t too high. I don’t know if Liberatore and Thompson will be ready. Pallante probably deserves to be in the rotation but then we would need to reinforce the bullpen.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Winn arrives at SS, couldn’t Edman play a decent CF? And if you want to keep Edman at SS, couldn’t Winn learn to play a decent CF?

Edman’s value is basically all the glove and base running. If he merely plays a “decent” CF he’s not really much of a value.

I’ll also say that Winn is likely a better bat than Edman, and has a good shot at being a better defender at SS. He’s the priority at SS going forward.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Jag, I think most of your faux GM IDEAS are unrealistic but this one seems a little more grounded nas similar tô what I would consider. What would 3 years of Haringar cost?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Gscott, I dont see the Dodgers paying Bellinger 17 million (Plus luxury tax). They will non tender him. He may choose tô sign there at a lower salary.

KylMss
    Participant

Free

A guy that would intrigue me, assuming he gets released, is Jason Heyward. The Cubs are not bringing him back in the final year of his contract. He’s only 32 and a very well respected player. Yes, he does not hit. But, the guy has always had an outstanding glove and runs the bases well. Assuming he rehabs well from his injury, I think he would be a great clubhouse presence to have on the roster, who can cover CF and RF in a pinch if needed on a regular basis.

He does have a season left on his deal with the Cubs, so it is possible they can find a trade partner with the Cubs hitting the majority of his salary rather than just releasing him with nothing in return. He could be a nice buy-low veteran and it is possible his bat could come around, too. He will never be the star everyone thought he was going to be, but he can still be productive.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gscott, I dont see the Dodgers paying Bellinger 17 million (Plus luxury tax). They will non tender him. He may choose tô sign there at a lower salary.

I agree with this. I’d like to see us take the chance…he’s an above average CFer and would give us a buffer until Walker comes along and if Carlson or O’Neill struggle. The upside is big, and if he’s not great we DFA or don’t resign him. I don’t really see any upper levels OFers that aren’t either defensive liabilities (Burleson, Yepez) or AAAA filler types (Deluzio, Gomez) that are blocked with this.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 293 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.