2023 Spring training game thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2023 Spring training game thread

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 525 total)
  • Author
    1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

You think they’ll cut bait on DeJong or safehouse him on the IL for as long as is possible or until they’re entirely certain there’s no longer a need for a failsafe at SS? Also, I’m not entirely certain how long they can play the IL game. What’re the rules?

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He can stay there as long as the doctor says he’s hurt. They can put him on the 60-day list if it looks like he’s going to be out that long (probably not the case here) and gain a 40-man roster spot. He could also be sent on a rehab assignment for a couple weeks in the minors once he’s released, which may be what happens.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Redbirds tearing up the Grapefruit League!

When I see “Motter”, I think of our former closer Jason Motte, who was sometimes referred to as “Motter”.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Thanks, Jnevel. I wasn’t entirely certain of the precise order of protocol. I didn’t even think about the rehab assignment. That’s another old indian trick they could try. Maybe they can find a chiropractor who’ll keep signing off on him, but something like that may well rub the wrong way with the rules…

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yeah, that’s who I first thought of too, BikeMike. But then I couldn’t help but to think of Manny Motter…Maybe I’ve got him mixed up with someone else. In any event, I’m still convinced that the Redbirds need at least one guy named Manny on the roster.

CardsFan552
    Participant

Free

A pitcher that is performing as well as Woodford is does not go to AAA! That would be insane.
    The cards starting rotation will need plenty of help getting through the middle innings and Woodford is primed for that spot.

Lee
    Participant

They probably need to keep DeJong as a backup ss. Edman is set there now, but Winn needs some experience in AAA.. He has had a good spring, but just a bit of seasoning to get him ready, maybe after all star break. Nolan, Winn, Edman, Paul… That is a a very good infield.!!
    On Woody… just commit to him on the 26 man already… He has flat out been the best pitching in camp.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Question regarding end of the bench guys:

If the players agreed to it could 4 ‘end of the bench’ guys rotate 2 at a time between St. Louis and Memphis every couple of weeks and play a lot while in Memphis to help stay sharp?

Would thus type of shuffle be allowed if all 4 players agreed to it?

I suspect not but it seems like it would be a useful tool…..

Gagliano
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ZTR….depends in part on options. If you wanted to rotate, say, Burleson and Yepez between MLB and Memphis, you could do that given they have options. Dunno the option status of Motter and Robinson.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think there is a limit to the number of times a player can be optioned out in a season, with double header extra man duty not counting toward the total.

Lee
    Participant

I think with the new CBA, the max number of times per season optioned is 5.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Tommy Edman (S) SS
    2. Masyn Winn (R) 2B
    3. Alec Burleson (L) RF
    4. Juan Yepez (R) 1B
    5. Andrew Knizner (R) C
    6. Pedro Pages (R) DH
    7. K. Robertson (R) 3B
    8. Oscar Mercado (R) CF
    9. Matt Koperniak (L) LF
    Flaherty

Oliver
    Participant

Free

Flaherty 77 pitches. 4 innings so far. 2 runs allowed

Oliver
    Participant

Free

Liberatore and Hudson optioned to Memphis

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Leahy has been an impressive reliever. He has not looked like a prospect until this spring. Surely he will continue being used a reliever.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I bet Hudson didn’t take it too well, although he should have seen it coming.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jack put up an ugly looking line, but just 2 runs. That kind of traffic on the bases won’t work. Hopefully he pulls it together since he will be in the rotation regardless.

With Liby and Hudson in Memphis, maybe Woody breaks camp in the pen. The rotation is a possibility if one of the chosen can’t answer the bell by then.

Gagliano
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lee-

Thanks for that info re number of options!

BrockLou
    Participant

Free

Thompson has put together a good Spring. What we lacked last year was a middle reliever who could come in and throw 2 and third innings and give up no more than one run. Could this be Thompson? Spot starter? Starter?

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What you’re describing is more likely to be Woodford or VerHagan, who have both looked good also. Thompson is likely going to be a 1 inning guy who will come in to face 2 or more lefties whenever that situation allows for it. At this point, he may be the only left-hander in the bullpen.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

So the 5 options per season down to AAA (or AA too I guess) is hard and fast even if the player signs off on more?

What happens if 5 is exceeded? Player is able to talk to other teams and sign an offer if he wants to go?

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

I pulled this down off the web.

Options
    A player can be optioned five times. Every time after that, they have to be put on waivers before being optioned. But, if a new team claims the player, the player can be optioned once by that new team without putting them on waivers. After that, every time the player is optioned he has to go on waivers. (If the team claiming the player already had the player earlier in the season, they don’t get to option the player again.)

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Brendan Donovan (L) SS
    2. Tyler O’Neill (R) CF
    3. Jordan Walker (R) RF
    4. W. Contreras (R) DH
    5. Taylor Motter (R) 3B
    6. Nolan Gorman (L) 2B
    7. Juan Yepez (R) LF
    8. Alec Burleson (L) 1B
    9. Andrew Knizner (R) C
    Montgomery

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Zero runs! Ollie better have those chumps running laps until they drop.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yeah, there’s no excuse. Shift ban, bigger bases, pitch clock and they still can’t push anyone across. Next thing you know, they’ll ask to place a make believe baserunner in scoring position at the start of an inning. The core of most of today’s problems seems to be centered around a sense of entitlement…

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 525 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.