2021 MLB Draft

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 MLB Draft

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 242 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

What a great way to end the second day of the draft – with Osvaldo Tovalin out of Azusa Pacific. What a name for a player and a school. Plus his stats look very inviting –

.387/.439/.705/1.145/15HR/52RBI

A good looking power bat.

1946worldserieschamps
    Participant

Free

Antico avg was at .202 on april 2nd it ended up at .273 june 26th. Troy Tulowitzki who was hitting coach at Texas worked hard with him to get him figured out. He hit .386 his junior year at St. Johns he transferred to Texas for 2021. He’s 23 which is why he fell to 8th round.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How many of those drafted will require an over slot bonus? Maybe Baez and Willis? And is it still allowed to go 10% over the total pool?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I imagine many of those drafted will play at FCL or Palm Beach depending on experience.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27 asked:

And is it still allowed to go 10% over the total pool?

Just 5% before losing draft picks. Detailed in this free article.

St. Louis Cardinals 2021 Pre-Draft Basics

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The running coverage posted to the Draft article was great, I was able to keep up all day while at work with only a minute here and there to check in. Thanks Blake and Brian.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Colson Montgomery is about 30 miles away from me. He played at Southridge High School. Drafted #22 overall by the WhiteSox.

I’ve seen him play 3-4 times over the last couple of years and if he’s the 22nd best player in the draft I would say it’s a pretty weak draft.

r/Esteemed Rat

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not afraid of those guys who rake in Div. 2 leagues. A hitter is a hitter.

The high floor college pitchers is what we need so happy about that. But please don’t Zack any of them.

Tomorrow with 11-20 should be interesting, and then I suspect will load up more than usual on UFAs after its over. We have a lot of holes and a lot of non-prospects all through the system.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy said:

Thanks Blake and Brian.

You are welcome!

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have no information to validate any decisions so I’m just hopeful that are making long term sound decisions. Reading up on their first pick, he seems like a solid pick. I know they only have so much money to allocate to each player so I know that they aren’t always going to be able to get every player they want.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I favor the high floor command types over the super hard thrower max effort types. Especially if they are throwing mid 90s or above in high school. That’s a kid who won’t last, unfortunately. It seems like the key to success for a pitcher is to stay healthy long enough to learn the art of pitching. There are instances of hard throwers who last and don’t spend a lot of time on the IL, but it seems a long shot to hope for that.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No middle infielders so far. It’s pretty obvious that they’re drafting for need. They drafted heavy on pitchers in the 2019 draft and none of that pitching has impressed so far.

bccran
    Participant

Thompson, Pallante, Locey, Thomas, Ralston, and Gragg were all good picks in 2019. They all had to sit out in 2020. Let’s see how they develop. Sorry to see Locey go.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The high floor college pitchers is what we need so happy about that. But please don’t Zack any of them.

Well said bling.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Tomorrow with 11-20 should be interesting, and then I suspect will load up more than usual on UFAs after its over. We have a lot of holes and a lot of non-prospects all through the system.

Couldn’t have said it better Bling.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To say that the pitchers drafted in 2019 are all bombing is not correct. While Thompson and Gragg have struggled, Thomas is pitching well at Memphis, although I think his long term future is in the bullpen. Pallante and Ralston have both pitched well, with Pallante possibly helping the big club by 2022. In addition, Lunn and Yasenka have pitched very well at times.

The only trouble I seem with this group is that they may hit the proverbial wall, as most haven’t pitched this much in 2 years.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

No middle infielders so far. It’s pretty obvious that they’re drafting for need.

Middle infielders are also a need in the system.

bccran
    Participant

Thompson was elevated to AAA with only 2 starts under his belt. And those were in the rookie league. Talk about baptism by fire this season!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

These college arms will make such a huge difference in the lower levels the next two years. Playing in close games pushes guys. All the blowouts have real negative effects on players mentally and physically.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Palm Beach could get really interesting if no one gets moved up, but some of these college picks sign quickly. If Prater finds his control, that staff could really spin a 180*

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m guessing Mcgreevy will start in the FCL. or Palm Beach, make a couple 1 inning stints, and if al goes well, jump another level, and probably start at Peoria next year. I hope he makes it to Peoria, as I’d love to see our last 2 first round picks play.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 242 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years