2021 MLB Draft

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 MLB Draft

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 242 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

18. Cardinals: Chase Petty, RHP, Mainland Regional HS (Linwood, N.J.)

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Chase Petty looks interesting. Triple digit throwing prepper. It will be interesting tho see if they draft more college pitchers and bats this year though. No matter what they could use a good dose of young talent.

dac8b9
    Participant

I know this probably gets asked every year in a draft thread, but what is people’s opinions on drafting for need versus drafting best player available? It seems like pitching is now a real need in the system due to Flores picking high upside bats in the first few rounds over his tenure (even Correa did this his year as well). Now starting pitching seems like a real need in the system.

Yet, at the same time, Flores seems to have done really well with his picks on high upside bats. Gorman looks really promising, and I know it’s early for Walker but he’s definitely exciting and should appear on some top 100 lists next preseason. Winn is intriguing as well. If Flores is particularly talented at drafting hitters, maybe go with that strength in the early rounds?

Maybe go with boa and hope someone falls like you did with Gorman (and less successfully with Perez and Plummer).

What is everyone thinking our strategy should be in the early rounds?

bccran
    Participant

Keep on eye on Jordan Wicks from Kansas State. Another Marco.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They’ve lacked any kind of star power at middle infield for years and years. That could change if Masyn Winn and Delvin Perez continue to improve the way they have been this season, But there’s no guarantee for that.

For corner infield Gorman, Malcolm Nunez, and Walker look like they could be big contributors some day.

The outfield prospects look better with the apparent emergence of Plummer, and a surprising Burleson, and a maturing Jhon Torres.

If I was drafting for need, I’d take a middle infielder. If it’s ‘best available’, then you just have to trust yourself and your scouts.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would always draft best available because by the time the player is ready for MLB your needs have probably changed. Even if you have several high quality prospects at the same position that is really not a problem since you can trade some for big league talent elsewhere. Elehuris Montero is an example of that.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mud said:

They’ve lacked any kind of star power at middle infield for years and years. That could change if Masyn Winn and Delvin Perez continue to improve the way they have been this season, But there’s no guarantee for that.

Second baseman Nolan Gorman… Can’t get any better than the no. 1 prospect in the system…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like drafting college players. There is more of a sample size to evaluate from and they can usually move through the system faster due to the maturity.

bccran
    Participant

gscottar – a larger percentage of the high round college players make it to the majors than the high round high school players. You’re hedging your bets when you go with college players. And, as you said, they arrive sooner.

dac8b9
    Participant

Interestingly, I read an article (I think it was on the athletic, might have been Keith Law) that made the point that this years draft could be unique in that the high school players will have been evaluated more by scouts than a lot of the college players due to COVID wiping out a lot of the showcases/seasons for college guys whereas a lot of the high school ones still happened. As a result, the scouts may be more confident in their evaluations of high school players for this particular draft, whereas historically they tend to be more confident about college players. The article wondered if this would lead to more high school players getting drafted in the early rounds compared to most years.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As interesting as which ranks they draft from will be the initial placement of high draft picks. Some college players surely will be sent to Palm Beach.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The absence of the short season levels means fewer slots for high school draftees to get game reps as they mature physically and as players. You are not going to be able to have 2 or 3 years worth of them plus Dominican league graduates and teenage internationals all in Jupiter until they are ready for A+ in Peoria.

bccran
    Participant

I’m guessing the Cards go with what has worked for them the most in the past – a mature college pitcher with a fast track to the majors…..ala Magrane, Chris Carpenter, Osborne, Morris, Lynn, Gonzales, Wacha, Hudson, etc.

They generally take a risk on a HS kid or two when the have a bunch of picks in rounds 1-3.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They gotten away from that strategy of drafting a college pitcher with their first pick in the last few drafts.

2020 – Walker
    2019 – Thompson (college pitcher)
    2018 – Gorman
    2017 – No first round pick.
    2016 – Delvin Perez Note: They had 3 first round picks in 2016. After Perez it was Dylan Carlson, then
    Dakota Hudson (college pitcher)
    2015 – Nick Plummer

The 2020 draft was unusual for the Cardinals in that it looked like they were going for tools/potential more than scouting reports based on performance and projection.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s an important year for the Cards draft. The system is in the worse shape I can remember in the last 20 years.

dac8b9
    Participant

It’s an important year for the Cards draft. The system is in the worse shape I can remember in the last 20 years.

Eh, I would disagree with that sentiment slightly. The teams are bad because the depth is not good, particularly the pitching. But the actual prospects among our minor leaguers are performing really well it seems. Ultimately it’s how your prospects are doing that matters. Maybe you could make an argument that prospects playing on losing teams is in some way bad for their development but I don’t think that has been demonstrated.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So far I like the Springfield team, even with their losing record. But other than that, there are injuries and a lot of subpar prospect performances. We sure could have used a starter pitching prospect to help our pitching staff.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was at the U of Arkansas super regional game last night and saw Dayton Moore, GM of the Royals. Moore’s son, Robert, is a star player for Arkansas and will be eligible in the 2022 draft. While I am sure he was there to watch his son he probably was scouting some players to draft also.

I know this isn’t a KC site but it isn’t everyday you run into a MLB GM so I decided to share. Also to point out that Mo, Girsch, and Flores could do a lot worse than to to look at this UA team for their 2021 draft plans. I like drafting college players and there is a ton of talent on this team that has been ranked number 1 all year and hopefully will be back in Omaha after this weekend.

bccran
    Participant

My guess is that they will take a college pitcher at #18 with a high floor and rapid path to the big club – ala Marco, Wacha, Hudson, Thompson, etc.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with that. We need more advanced pitching in the pipeline.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Given how bad the Cards pitching depth is in the minors, I wonder if some college drafted pitchers might move faster than usual. Especially as weak as the minors relievers have been, an experienced college pitcher could both move fast and have a jump start on 2022 as a reliever, while keeping pitch counts lower.

dac8b9
    Participant

I know historically we have done well with first early round college pitchers, but has that remained true under Randy Flores? Dakota Hudson worked out, but Zach Thompson and Griffin Roberts are not looking too hot. I remember Flores saying he has more say in the early round picks before turning it over to the scouts. One hit and two question marks isn’t that much to go on for assessing Flores’ ability to scout pitchers. He has done really well with early round position players though.

But if we are just looking at needs of the system, pitching should be the priority. That said, there is the argument of going bpa rather than drafting for need in the early rounds.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My prediction. They will draft kids who throw 100. When they self destruct or get TJs they will hire Indy league guys to fill out the rosters. Survivors will make it to the show and a few of them will be able to pitch some until either they blow out their arm or need to start getting paid over minimum, at which time some new ones will appear.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Brutal, lol

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This mock has the Cards going with Jordan Wicks, LHP out of Kansas St.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 242 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.