2021 MLB Draft

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 MLB Draft

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 242 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Has anyone found out anything about the catcher, Aaron McKeithan, besides what is in Brian ad Blake’s blurb? Its the only pic I don’t understand.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

What don’t you understand? In a 40 round draft, they typically draft 2-4 catchers. In a 20 round draft, they drafted one.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I meant why that particular catcher.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

It seems from the article that they have submissions from both the analysts and scouts for every pick. The Cardinals, as a whole, seem to be an organization driven more by scouts. If you’ve noticed the past few years, the scout in North Carolina seems to have some pull. There has been a player from ECU picked by the Cardinals in four out of the last five drafts. Plus all the UNC, NC State players, etc.

I would guess this is one he saw something he liked, and they just went with it.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Hard to understand drafting a catcher that can’t hit AND can’t throw out base stealers

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Maybe he’s there to fill some roster space so that later on they can release him and say that they did something without actually losing any of the players that they actually care about, or he’s just cannon fodder for some trade somewhere down the line…or something…

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wish McKeithan well, you never know what someone might do given an opportunity. But yeah, I agree with Uncle D, which is what I don’t understand about the pick. But I think LA is on target. The kid could be a hard working character/make up guy whose coach really wanted to see get rewarded. And given what might be developing into an upper levels fade by Herrera, we can use any catching prospect we can get.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It must be a pretty good draft if the only major concerns are with the 16th round pick, the 481st player taken overall…

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And given what might be developing into an upper levels fade by Herrera, we can use any catching prospect we can get.

Are we that jaded now? He’s got a 99 wRC+ as a kid who just turned 21 at AA. The power hasn’t come yet but he’s running an 18% walk rate. I’m not sure in what world that’s called a fade. Given the circumstances of 2020, I’d say he’s on a good track.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

bccran, just noticed your comment on Tovalin and Asuza Pacific. Asuza has produced quite a few very good athletes, to include MLB players. Vogt (current catcher) played there.

Also reminds me of a high school friend who went to Asuza to play football. On a trip home he told us they had this absolute beast of a player, a guy who would scare the living insides out of you to have to hit him (or more likely be hit by him). The hyperbole of his description made you think, “ahh, sure he is, I bet.” Turns out that was Christian Okoye, the Nigerian Nightmare, 6 ft 270 pound fullback who ran a 4.45 40, made NFL Pro Bowls with the Chiefs and was AFC Offensive Player of the Year once. Hopefully Asuza and Tovalin work well for the Cards too.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I forgot this is the pom poms thread. But I accept that a dropoff from A to AA is not always permanent.

I agree it seems a solid draft with no concerns, only a question.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Those with pom poms are balanced by others with a continually half-empty glass. Fortunately most are somewhere in between…

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I appreciate it Brian, but there really is no need to thank me for providing balance.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I didn’t. 😉

UncleDenny
    Participant

Brian, with 7 catchers already at Complex team and 3 with each of the full season clubs I think the issue is why waste a pick on this catcher? Think they could have used still another pitcher so tend to disagree with your comment. Each pick is significant. Agree to disagree.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals clearly see their catching needs differently, having added yet another catcher since the draft via free agency.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if any conclusions can be drawn from draftees signing quickly, i.e. signing cheaper. Can teams talk to prospective players before the draft to get a ballpark figure on whether players will sign below slot dollars? Obviously, a fourth/fifth year senior wouldn’t have much say on pay. Also, anyone having an off year in 2021 likely would sign for less.

UncleDenny
    Participant

It’s ok with me if they want to totally waste a draft pick on what amounts to a bullpen catcher and no harm in signing Strauss as NDFA.Clearly picking a non hitting catcher who also doesn’t appear strong defensively makes little sense. Possibly they plan to release a couple current bullpen catchers.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There is probably some advanced metrics that says he’s Johnny Bench.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Who needs an analytics department when you can go to message boards for advice? 😉

UncleDenny
    Participant

Believe you’re outnumbered on this one Brian. Pick made no sense. Get as snarky as you want.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am not concerned with the player or the pick. I accept that I know less about these players than the organizations that scout them. I also know less about an organization’s positional needs than they do.

bccran
    Participant

Lets take a comparative stat look –

Pitchers –

McGreevy – 2.92ERA/101.2IP/109H/115K/11W (Great control)
    Love – 3.71ERA/102IP/85H/129K/32W (Good K rate / 3rd team AA)
    Mills – 4.15EAR/80.1IP/86eH/83K/22W (Meh)
    Graceffo – 1.54ERA/82IP/54H/59K/23W (0.96 WHIP – Excellent)
    Willis – high school. (No meaningful stats)
    Baker – 2.11ERA/106.2IP/90H/120K/18W (Great K/W ratio)
    Gerrard – 3.02ERA/41.2IP/38H/48K/12W
    Heinecke – 4.40ERA/43IP/41H/43K/11W
    Granillo – 6.10ERA/10.1IP/8H/13/4W
    Cornwell – 5.35ERA/79IP/95H/65K/21W (Batting practice pitcher?)
    Marrero – 4.22ERA/21.1IP/18H/28K/8W

Lots of emphasis on control pitchers this draft. Most have an excellent K/W ratio.

Position Players –

Baez – high school (no meaningful stats)
    Holgate – .351/.421/.576/.991/11HR/56RBI
    Antico – .273/.436/.489/.925/10HR/47RBI/41-46SB!
    Tovalin – .387/.435/.705/1.145/15HR/52RBI (SLG%!)
    Chambers – .371/.444/.624/1.058/7HR/13RBI
    McKeithan – .278/.398/.394/.793/3HR/24RBI
    Cabell – .264/.397/.560/.957/15HR/40RBI (Nice power)
    Francisco – .354/.416/.557/.973/13HR/48RBI
    Casserill – high school (no meaningful stats)

6 out of 7 college hitters have an OPS of .925+. Lots of potential here to track through the system. Thank goodness they stayed away from little outfielders without much power or speed this draft.

Overall, a very intriguing draft with McGreevy, Love, Graceffo, Baker, Baez, Holgate, Antico, and Tovalin.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Who needs an analytics department when you can go to message boards for advice? 😉

An analytics department that’s been declining for a few years? Keep going off Brian.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 242 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.