2020 Spring Training Game(s) Thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Spring Training Game(s) Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 456 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

14 pitchers used between games. I am guessing Flaherty and Hudson pitch tomorrow?

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Well there’s 39 pitchers or something like that in camp so I don’t see the issue.

Gallegos, Rondon and Sanchez looked no bueno today. The Carlson-Gorman duo looks promising for the future.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

c27 asked:

I am guessing Flaherty and Hudson pitch tomorrow?

Flaherty gets the Thursday start against the Braves at North Port. One of the few no TV games. Streaming audio only.

(A downside of having one long game thread is that Thursday’s starter was already posted, but it is now way back on page 4 and long forgotten.)

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Fowler w/two balls in play, both to LF.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

I’ll take that downside vs hunting for current thread topics that have been pushed to page 2 & 3 by individual GT’s.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The home runs hit at the Astros park were largely wind aided, except for the 9th inning Astros blast, which was crushed. I did not see Williams homer either. Rondon might have fared better on a different day, but it was a great learning experience either way. His control was lacking, but he pitched much better in the his second inning.

Participant

Paid - Annual

What will Flaherty’s pitch count be tomorrow? 40-50? 3 to 4 innings possible?

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am really digging my first foray into MLBTV. Great for Spring Training. Watched the Astros broadcast, and their tv announcers were pretty good. Much better than ours.

Participant

Free

seeing Carlsson hit, he sure looks like the real deal. same with Gorman. Im not ready to put them on the roster this year cause I think they need more time in the minors but next year I probably will be looking for them to make it to the show.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thomas’ HR to left was way up the berm. Williams’ went out to dead center. Neither felt cheap to me.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Edman LF, Miller 3B and Munoz at SS. Schildt could have arranged them differently at any of those positions. Wish I knew what he’s thinking or looking at.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Obviously he is looking at those players at different positions that they may play in the regular season.

Participant

Free

JJ, I like Miller at 3B. With Carps health and performance likely an issue going into the year, I could see him spending quite a bit of time there. If he comes anywhere close to replicating what he did in Philly (.941 OPS), he could be a big boost. Heck, if he could put up an OPS in the low .800’s, that would still likely be one of the best in the lineup.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

STLCARDS25

It’s still me, I am still as ever rooting for every guy out there to be great and will all year.

However, I am not convinced that the pitching can duplicate what it did last year, nor would for any team really…the rotation is already hurting with Mikolas out, Waino is older, Hudson is a sophomore, Jack is getting all the love and rightfully so, Kim is an unknown with hope. CMart hasnt really been an SP for a while and if he does start then we just have a big hole in the bullpen. Which also is hard to imagine being better with how much we depended on guys last year.

2019 to 2020
    Jack > Jack… tough for anyone to duplicate
    Waino > Waino …he is older every year hard to think he will be better or even the same
    Hudson > Hudson …last year was pretty good, will he really get better?
    Mikolas = Mikolas…with the injury i am having a hard time he will be better
    Wacha < Kim… Kim should be serviceable probably better overall because of his handedness
    Wacha < CMart…if CMart gets the nod Cmart even in a partial year should eclipse Wacha
    Wacha = Ponce/kids… Ups and downs of kids makes this volatile to me and that is what Wacha was

to me that reads as 2019’s rotation is not so likely to outperform what it did last year, and with the outlandish success of a few players i am hard pressed to think it will even be the same…kids should be allowed to fail, and veterans like Waino allowed to get old… Mikolas was our only hope for a calming vet presence and his injury concerns are not quite apparent

I wont even do this with the pen, but beyond a turnaround for Miller and possibly some advancement by Helsley…where are we really looking for “better” performance out of the pen…even equallying the year last year by Gant, Gallegos, Brebbia is hard to imagine…i like Whitley, but Genesis is looking more like a starter to me…

—-
    as for the defense being the same….last year the defense went from worst to first…and we are expecting it to stay the same? That luck and a little playing over their heads didnt happen to get them that much better in such a short time. I do like the upgrade in LF for an arm, but i am not sold on Carp retaining his high marks at 3b and every year adds another year to Fowlers legs in RF…Can we really expect Wong and DeJong to be THAT good every single year….and if not then how can we assume we will be just as good on defense?

—-

yesterday i was encouraged by a few hitters, then we have another back injury for Carp…though nice to see Goldy in the field…Williams gain was not impressive in the field…weird because he looks like he has all the athleticism to make every play…. I have been unimpressed with Dean too…definitely doesnt look like he was worth losing even a fringe prospect to get…I dont see how he in any way is better than Ravelo…
    I love seeing the kids get hits…but id feel a lot better seeing Goldy, Fowler, Carp, Wong, DeJong, Yadi all getting hits…and the kids having fun in the 5-9th

Im still feeling really worried about the offense, and while i am encouraged by parts of the pitching, are they really the parts we should be interested in?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Chitown, I agree about Miller. As I mentioned in a different thread I think Miller and Kim could end up being shrewd steals for the Cards. I have high expectations for both.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Please keep me/us updated on how Alex Reyes does in his outings. He could be a HUGE lift for the Redbirds if he can get back close to where he was. Hopefully his command will come around.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

Munoz had 2 hits today. He hit his way onto the 25-man roster last spring. Looks like he’s doing that again this year. I still don’t like his defense much.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals have enough starting pitching to field another MLB team…. Gant, Cabrera, Reyes, Ponce de Leon, and Gomber. I’m pretty sure there will be enough relievers left after the last cut to make a decent bullpen for that second MLB team, also.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Anyone feel that Mo may be forced to bring up Carlson earlier than he wanted to?

Participant

Free

No one is forcing him to bring him up. He looks great but id rather him play in the minors for another year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Better consider him for this year unless you want a strong chance to miss the playoffs. This offense may be truly agonizing once the season starts and talented major league pitchers are going up against us.

Participant

Free

One player isn’t going to change that unless he is say albert in his prime but im not seeing that. I am seeing a player that could be a fixture for years to come and would rather trust the process and let him season in the minors than maybe take the chance of putting him over his head early because of a few hits in spring training.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran said:

Better consider him for this year unless you want a strong chance to miss the playoffs.

I predicted earlier that some would expect Carlson to be the savior of the offense, but I did not expect it to start this soon. No matter when, I believe that is an unfair expectation to put on anyone, especially a 21-year old with just 18 games of experience above Double-A and five spring training outings to date in 2020.

P.S. There have to be only a very few people who don’t think Carlson will make his MLB debut this season. The only real question is when?

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 456 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years