2020 Spring Training Game(s) Thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Spring Training Game(s) Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 456 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Derrick said: Dylan Carlson has reached base in five consecutive plate appearances, and the last time an opponent got him out was on a force out Tuesday. In his past five plate appearances, Carlson has a triple, double, single, and two walks, one from right and one from left.

MM3 sez: How ya gonna keep um down on da farm afta de seen Paree! GO BOY GO – Our New Taveras -NOW.

Participant

Free

Mud, very good point, the Memphis rotation should be excellent. If the season started tomorrow, who are your Stl 5 starters and 8 relievers? The reliever situation could go a lot of different ways. Like Cecil for example, if his arm is still attached, he’s making the team.

Mine would likely be as follows (I can’t figure out who I’m missing):
    STL Rotation: JF, CMart, Kim, Hudson, Waino (that’s how I’d rank them also)
    STL BP: Gallegos, Helsley, Gant, Brebbia, JFern, Miller, Cecil(sadly), Kaminsky/Webb

That leaves the following for the Memphis rotation: Cabrera, Ponce, Reyes, Gomber, Woodford, Fagalde, Oviedo, Rondon….. how is that going to work out?

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals are banking on comeback seasons from Fowler, Carp, and to a certain extent DeJong. And two guys in the outfield who have not proven themselves yet offensively.
    That’s 62.5% of our starting lineup.

Carlson is no Pujols, but if he rakes all Spring Training (especially against regular major league pitchers) the Cards may have to seriously consider bringing him North. Just MHO.

Participant

Paid - Annual

ChiTown – you stated Kaminsky or Webb for the bullpen. Webb had an overall 1.02 WHIP last year. His BAA vs. left handed batters was .157. Even his BAA vs. right handed batters was .189. Kaminsky had a 1.622 ERA at AAA last year. And he’s never thrown a pitch in the majors.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mud, very good point, the Memphis rotation should be excellent. If the season started tomorrow, who are your Stl 5 starters and 8 relievers? The reliever situation could go a lot of different ways. Like Cecil for example, if his arm is still attached, he’s making the team.

Mine would likely be as follows (I can’t figure out who I’m missing):
    STL Rotation: JF, CMart, Kim, Hudson, Waino (that’s how I’d rank them also)
    STL BP: Gallegos, Helsley, Gant, Brebbia, JFern, Miller, Cecil(sadly), Kaminsky/Webb

I’d put a similar staff out there, only I’d have Cabrera in the bullpen rather than Cecil. I think Whitley is making a case to be included as well if Gant or Brebbia (or anyone really) start the season in a funk.

The Memphis rotation should include Reyes if he’s healthy so he can get as many innings to work on things as possible. He’d be a good mid season/injury addition, along with Mikolas if his arm can hold up.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Webb is also out of options, which can’t be ignored.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

STL Lineup 2/28

D Fowler (S) DH
    R Ravelo (R) RF
    P Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    Y Molina (R) C
    T O’Neill (R) LF
    H Bader (R) CF
    N Gorman (L) 3B
    M Schrock (L) 2B
    E Sosa (R) SS

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s an interesting group of pitchers today. Hopefully Reyes can find the zone better.

Participant

Paid - Annual

They seem to be taking a strong look at Ravelo.

Participant

Free

To me, Kaminsky is more of a “great comeback story” and he’s looked very good so far. I agree that it will highly likely be Webb, but if Cecil gets hurt again, I think he could make a case.

Cabrera over Cecil is a no brainer, BUT there are 30M reasons why Mo doesn’t want to be embarrassed. If Cecil is healthy, and he has an ERA under 9 in ST, they will give him at least a couple of weeks in STL, the same can be said about Fowler.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Once again Yadi is batting 4th.

Participant

Free

The catchers bat fourth so they can pair with the starting pitcher and come out of the game around the same time.

I missed the news on Kaminsky re-signing with the Cards. That’s pretty cool.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CFICT said:

Cabrera over Cecil is a no brainer, BUT there are 30M reasons why Mo doesn’t want to be embarrassed. If Cecil is healthy, and he has an ERA under 9 in ST, they will give him at least a couple of weeks in STL, the same can be said about Fowler.

There are only 7M reasons left. After three years, the whole embarrassment thing is really old news.

Still, I followed you until the very end. If you really think Fowler would only get two weeks and then be released, you are not being honest with yourself.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Small sample size but how about Gorman. Only one strikeout so far and hitting the ball well. A 10 pitch at bat. Unheard of last year.

I don’t see how they could leave Cabrera off the team. Has been very impressive. Curveball is a killer.

Not surprised about Whitley. Guy has good stuff and better still good command of his stuff.

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by AvatarSoonerinNC.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Libratore got beat up some but his curve ball made the left handed hitter look like a schoolboy and then the same guy belted a double on a similar inside curve the next pitch. Welcome to the major leagues.

Participant

Free

BW, in Fowlers case it would be benched, not released. If Cecil blows up in a few opening games, that’s a different story, I could see them just cutting their losses and move on.

Fowler has two years left at almost double the salary, so that’s a completely different story, and I didn’t mean to make it seem like I thought they would just cut him. If he’s hitting under .200, not making hard contact and striking out at a high rate, I could see him being on the bench more days than not after a few weeks or a month. His leash has to be a lot shorter in 2020 than it was in 2018.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cards tied 1-1. Schrock just clobbered one foul, only to be caught looking with two on and a 3-2 pitch by Familia.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ponce allowed a single, but has his K stuff going. He struck out 3 in the 4th.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

And how did Reyes do in this one?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pugs, he hasn’t pitched yet. Waino pitched the first three, Ponce the next three and Miller the 7th. It’s the top of the 8th now, with the Cards and Mets tied at 2.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reyes now in. He gets the first batter on a grounder to short, follows it with a nice K…and then serves up a fat meatball that the light hitting Mets SS prospect Gimenez deposits over the wall for a 3-2 lead. He follows it with another K.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In the 9th, Bader works a full count and then pops out to the 3B in foul territory. Gorman is up next. He works the count 2-0, then takes the next two strikes. Foul ball, still 2-2. The next pitch seems to (not) catch the lower inside corner and he’s rung up. Down to Schrock…who is quickly in an 0-2 hole. Schrock pops one out to left and Tebow slips, allowing it to fall in for a “double.” Edmundo Sosa lines the first pitch right to the RF and that’s all she wrote. Cards lose 3-2.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Pugs? Did someone call ME Pugs?????

Anyway, how did Reyes look? Besides the one bad pitch it appears he’s made progress since his last outing.

r/ESTEEMED RAT and NOT Esteemed Pugs

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pugs? Did someone call ME Pugs?????

Anyway, how did Reyes look? Besides the one bad pitch it appears he’s made progress since his last outing.

r/ESTEEMED RAT and NOT Esteemed Pugs

Woops, sorry about the mistake. RAT…

He had good stuff today with solid control. He had several swinging strikes. Hopefully he can build on the momentum.

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 456 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years