2020 Spring Training Game(s) Thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Spring Training Game(s) Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 456 total)
  • Author
    Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

It wouldn’t be an affront to Carlson if he gets some time to mature in Memphis ……..

But it would be much better if he could “mature” in St Louis. He has worked his way up through the ranks by quickly maturing at every level. If he tails off toward the end of ST then fine, send him down but this guy is hitting big league (and minor league) pitching right now and has a very decent glove with all three OF positions experience. I know many love ONeil and I don’t really oppose him but he is also on trial to see if he can cut down on the Ks. Carlson being a switch hitter and no history of excessive Ks with decent fielding abilities should not be overlooked as either a starter or bench OF. Ravelo is also a good looking utility guy. He made two super catches yesterday.

I am least impressed with Williams. Munoz has good numbers and appears to be now injured but overall he is the one I would put a Memphis as a ready spare – not Carlson. Thomas hasn’t tripped my trigger to any great degree either.

bccran
    Participant

I agree on Thomas, Minuteman.

BA isn’t the only thing, but here it is for him coming through the system –

AAA – .270
    AA – .260
    A+ – .252
    A – .205

Last season he hit .268 at Memphis
    in 304 plate appearances. Hit 10 home runs. Big deal. Did well with the Cards in very limited time, but that could be fool’s gold.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

The batting lines that Ravelo has put up in Memphis look like he would be a typical 2 hole bat? Granted, that won’t translate directly to MLB, but is a good indication that with regular PT he can get on base.

The average and OBP is something the Cards severely lacked in 2019 and other than Wong and Goldy, I don’t see where that would come from this year until Carlson comes up and we all need to temper our expectations a little bit that he will just step in and get on base 8 times in a row.

Wong has to hit in the 1 or 2 hole, but who goes in the other one? Wong leading off and Ravelo in the 2 spot might be the best option to start the season. Lots of ST games left though….

bccran
    Participant

Ravelo OBP –

AAA – .369
    AA – .385
    A+ – .393
    A – .353

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

BC, the last 3 years, which he’s been with the Cards, it’s been .388. If you subtract .040 to give him .348 in the majors, that would be better than every regular except Wong and Edman.

The -.040 was a simple guess, is there a number that a front office/coaching staff would typically subtract from the minors batting lines as to what they expect in the majors? Lots of factors and moving parts are involved, but just a general rule as to the estimated numbers?

bccran
    Participant

I’ve always wondered that, ChiTown, and have used around -10% production decline, but there’s nothing scientific about it. Maybe Brian can shed some light. Of course it does vary by individual player.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So Ravelo had a .353 OBP at A ball between 2011 and 2013……. that’s nice.

2020 ST
    OPS (PA’s) player

1.397 (18) Carlson
    1.114 (15) Bader
    1.025 (10) O’Neill
    0.806 (19) Thomas
    0.792 (16) Dean
    0.717 (20) Ravelo
    0.419 (15) Williams

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

When is Alex Reyes slated to toe the rubber again?

bccran
    Participant

JJ – Ravelo has had a high OBP throughout his entire professional career. That’s the point, and probably what counts. We were talking about guys who deserve a chance. He probably falls into that category. Doncha think?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

bc, Ravelo is leading all stl players this spring in PA’s, so he’s getting his chance. What he does with it now, in ST, is very important for him. He’s out of options and management chose to keep him over the winter, for a reason.

bccran
    Participant

Thank you, jj. I just didn’t understand your reference to Ravelo’s
    “A” level OBP that I posted to give a complete picture of his production throughout the entire minor leagues.

sheepdawg
    Participant

Free

In Memphis Ravello was who you wanted at the plate if you needed a hit, he was superb in the clutch.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Oops!

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

John Gant seems to be in peak mid-season form.

bccran
    Participant

The last 2 pitchers kind of sealed their own fate.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Well Gant and Kaminsky imploded in relief pitching today. Gant seemed to be kind of gassed in his 3rd inning and Kaminsky was just wild and earned the blown save.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Strange game today. On a positive note, Fernandez was very good, and looks like a closer. Whitley is moving up up to top reliever not on the 40 man roster.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lots of great pitching in this organization.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought Gomber had the best pitches I’ve seen all spring, and the pitching has been phenomenal. Kim, Ponce de Leone, Cabrera, Hensley, and Gomber are all in the running for Mikolas’ spot. Sorry to say so, but they all might be better than Mikolas. I hope he pitches better this year than he did last year.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I believe Gant is better suited to the bullpen. Great outing by Gomber also.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

27, I think I know what you meant but didn’t Whitely open the Spring as already the top non roster invitee relief pitcher?

bccran
    Participant

Deepest Cardinal pitching staff I’ve ever seen. With guys like Rondon, Thompson, Oviedo, Siejas, Liberatore, etc. on the way.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

C27, your right about Gant, I’m actually surprised he was on the “starters” schedule to begin with, considering all of the arms ahead of him on the depth chart.

I missed the first 4 innings so didn’t see Gomber, but it sounds like he was lights out?

I did get to see both of JFern and Whitley, they both looked phenomenal in my opinion. The announcers even talked about JFern having closer stuff and the “look and demeanor” of a closer. He might not start out as closer to begin the season, but he should be in Stl 100% and if he keeps the command sharp, that could be the result in the 2nd half.

If everything were equal (on the 40 man) I don’t see how they would leave Whitley off the 26 man. What I like about him the most is that he doesn’t miss terribly and everything is right around the plate, he will be a great mid season call up and could be thrown into the 7th or 8th inning role in short order.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Right CC. I wish the FO could find away to get him on the roster. I like Whitley better than Gant or Brebbia. Escobar be number 2 NR reliever. Long shots like Taveras and Pacheco intrigue me if they can throw more strikes.

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 456 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.