Yadier Molina Contract Extension??

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Yadier Molina Contract Extension??

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 501 through 525 (of 554 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The key in this is if Yadi walks there had better be an upgrade somewhere else. Who would you rather have in our lineup, Yadi or Nelson Cruz?

Participant

Paid - Annual

If Yadi is such a greedy guy, why was he awarded the Roberto Clemente award 2 years ago?

Participant

St. Louis Cardinals: Is a Yadi-less Cardinals coming in 2021?

Not to worry.

St. Louis Cardinals: Are the Cardinals going to be Yadi-less in 2021?

I read the comments. It sounds more and more like fans are ready to move on from yadi.

Participant

Paid - Annual

14 – do you mean long time, older Cardinal fans? Fans in their 30s, 40s, or 50s? FaFans in their 20s? Teenagers who are fans? Young kids wearing Molina Jerseys?
    Male fans? Female fans? Cardinal fans come in all sizes, shapes, ages, and genders.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

Fear of rejection is causing some folk to minimize Yadi’s value to a team who wants to win for the next two years.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The guy on the MLB Network late last night said if the Yankees would sign Molina it would mean a world series title for them. He also said if the White Sox would sign Molina it would mean a world series title for them as well.

Makes me wonder…….

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Maybe Yadi or one of his brothers heard it also… or maybe it was one of them saying it.

Next they’ll be saying “sign my brother and win the trophy.”

I know its about a 1.5% chance of Yadi getting a ring here.

Could make one wonder……

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Personally, I don’t attach any credibility to what TV and radio yakkers fill their shows wondering about, but this does raise an interesting question.

Where would winning another title stack up on the list on Yadi’s priorities in signing?

One could make the argument that if he could play a big role in helping his new team win a World Series that it would enhance his HOF case more than even another title in StL (the latter which I agree is low odds in 2021).

As I have already speculated, I think the HOF may be his no. 1 want. Another title on his resume could mean more to his HOF case than padding his games played and counting stats…

Participant

Paid - Annual

Fear of rejection is causing some folk to minimize Yadi’s value to a team who wants to win for the next two years.

I don’t fear him leaving at all. Some of us are actually hoping for the rejection.

Participant

Paid - Annual

You’ve got to think that TLR is pushing for Yadier Molina to be signed by the White Sox. But between the White Sox and the Yankees, which team has the better chance of playing in the World Series? Probably the Yankees. Tough decision for Yadi.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

With a clean sheet of paper, perhaps. However, just one year ago, the White Sox gave Yasmani Grandal the largest contract in team history at the time, 4 years, $73 MM, or $18.25 MM per year for 2020 through 2023. That would make signing Molina a major problem, it seems.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Grandal as the primary DH is reasonable, because we know Yadi would want to start at catcher every day. If TLR wants that too, Grandal doesn’t have many choices. Grandal (32 GS) did time share with McCann (27 GS) last season, but this would be MUCH more lopsided.

The CWS are said to be interested in Brantley as a DH/OF. A Molina signing instead of Brantley would leave more funds available to finish the offseason, but the bottom line here is probably what TLR wants, not Grandals’ contract.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

TLR is not in charge of the front office. Williams and Hahn run the team. But perhaps TLR would go to Reinsdorf directly and undermine the chain of command. He wouldn’t get away with it often though, before huge internal problems would arise.

I have looked and seen nothing credible from the mainstream guys in Chicago that the Sox are considering Molina. But that certainly is not definitive. Goold was asked about it in his chat and said that the Sox are committed to Grandal as their everyday catcher. If Brantley or another hitter signs there, which as you noted is a rumor, there would seemingly be no spot remaining for Molina.

FWIW, if I had the choice, I would take Brantley over Molina. Too bad the Cardinals wouldn’t consider that tradeoff themselves…

Participant

molina has stated that he wants to be paid what he is worth. That = respect and do re mi… plus playing when he wants to play for two years.

He already has Shildt under his thumb. How many other managers are as lenient and willing to cave to yadi’s desires?

Since there is very little else to talk about regarding the Cardinals…. this topic is the one that gets all the attention…. and its getting stale. The Wainwright story draws less ink because we know he’ll be back.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Waino also draws less ink because he doesn’t feel the need to negotiate publicly.

Participant

Adam = a little more class. He’ll be around come Spring training at Jupiter.

Participant

Paid - Annual

4 grandchildren here from California. Took a poll. They all want Molina back. They say he’s the face of the Cardinals. That should settle it.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Be sure to send the grandkids over to Molina’s Instagram page so they can vote in his poll! 😉

Participant

Paid - Annual

Too busy playing with their presents!
    15 years old, 13, 11, and 9.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

On the MLB Network late last night Greg Amsinger and Dave Valle were talking about Molina. Valle gave his five best fits for Molina. In no particular order it was the Yankees, Padres, White Sox, Astros, and Phillies. He said the Yankees were perhaps the best fit.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Good. The Cards aren’t on the list.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

14NyquisT,

Sorry to have to tell you but Amsinger asked Valle to exclude the Cardinals. So I guess its still a possibility. Having said that, I agree with you. It wouldnt bother me a bit to see him move on. And if he returns, well, I guess I am okay with that too.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Rats…. that was a tongue in cheek comment.but I’m with you: It wouldnt bother me a bit to see him move on.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

We are so cavalier about HOF players walking away.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The good news is that he is an HOF player either way. Over time, what he does/did in 2021 will hardly matter in the big picture of his career legacy – unless he wins another title this year, that is. And one could submit the idea that he has a better chance of accomplishing that with a number of other teams.

Viewing 25 posts - 501 through 525 (of 554 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years