Yadier Molina Contract Extension??

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Yadier Molina Contract Extension??

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the best plan is to keep Knizner (unless overwhelmed with a trade offer) as the backup next year. If he stays with the big club the whole year he has 2 option years left. He needs to see more playing time than Kelly did though. He also played first in the minors, and might make a good backup to Goldschmidt. Another year also gives kids like Herrera and Julio Rodriguez another year to develop. They should be at AAA and AA at least respectively.

I also agree that Yadi should not be extended until after his contract expires. Hopefully he can follow the Wainright path.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t who is a bigger threat to Knizner remaining in the organization, Molina with an extension or IHerrara rising on the horizon? Probably both scenarios. Knizner is in the same boat that Kelly was in. I don’t see him wanting to stick around when he should be playing MLB. He won’t be a happy camper unless he is playing in a different uniform. Thanks Yadi for your continued egomania.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I should say that I would prefer they wait and do the Wainwright treatment with Yadi. However, if they don’t, I hope they cut him the maximum.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I wish Godoy showed a little better. He could be a bridge to Herrera or Rodriguez if the Cardinals traded Knizner.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yadi still has that charisma, or presence, or intensity, or whatever somebody wants to call it that allows him to command the whole field. I don’t know if Knizner or Herrera or Rodriguez will ever come close to being able to do that. His pitch framing is still excellent, and he still handles pitchers probably better than any catcher in the game. The team is going to miss him, and we’re going to miss him, after he finally has to retire.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yadi is one of those guys, especially at this point in his career, who brings more value than the stats show. I do not think he should hit 5th in the order, however. He is more of a 7th or 8th place hitter, but has this reputation as a clutch batter, which is a myth. No player hits better in so-called “clutch” situations than they do overall during the course of a long career, although they may have spikes where in a particular season the hits fall at the right times more times than others.

My all-time Cardinal team has had Ted Simmons as the first-string catcher all these years, but I am finally at the point of where Yadi has evened the score. I believe their WAR numbers are about even now as well. I will likely move Yadi to number one, and knock Teddy to the second team, which knocks Tim McCarver down to the third team. On down the line the likes of Walker Cooper, Bill Delancey, Darrel Porter and some of those slip further as time marches on and those guys tend to be forgotten.

I hope Yadi sticks around as long as he wants to be on the field, but we are most likely looking at his final one or two seasons. On this one I trust the club has the financial resources to do whatever they can for Yadi, while not hampering their ability to bring in a difference maker if one can be had.

The Cardinals rarely make the big splash on free agents anyway, as they prefer to take care of their own. And it seems free agents do not usually want to come in to “baseball heaven”. They prefer to take the highest offer, which is almost never from the local club, rather than a competitive offer that may or may not bring greater overall joy and happiness.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The front office has to play this carefully, but smartly. It would be bad for all if Molina gets upset and plays the re$pect card. I hope it doesn’t get to that for many reasons, including the potential to be an unnecessary distraction for the team next season.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

I am not sure Yadi can control the playing of the respect card; people who are driven by fanatical passion and exhibit an edge demanding more of others cannot turn that off. You dare not extinguish that fire, and why wouldn’t Yadi expect more from the organization? He has given his left nut for this team.
    He and Adam are two different people from different families, backgrounds, and experiences. I wouldn’t change Yadi. I will struggle and succeed to love him when we enevitibly cross that creaky bridge, but that is what it means to love one another even when we don’t agree on what is appropriate. We disagree but move forward and cry when we part.

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years