Yadier Molina Contract Extension??

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Yadier Molina Contract Extension??

Viewing 19 posts - 651 through 669 (of 669 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Why the negative view of Herrera? In his first shot at Double-A, he had a rough two months. Maybe that is what you remember.

But since then, he has hit progressively better. A .970 OPS this month and nine home runs in his last 18 games. 31 RBI in his last 37 contests.

Why would it take 2 1/2 more years to become an MLB starter if he is already figuring out Double-A now? I don’t see it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not really negative, just realistic IMO. He probably spends all of 2022 at AAA. We don’t know how well he will do there. Assuming he does well he might get a taste of St. Louis at the end of 2022 but would that be enough to consider him the starter in 2023? Optimistically I would view 2023 as a timeshare then maybe he is ready to be the starter in 2024.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

If I’m in charge. Now that the season is nearing a close. Looking ahead to what is best for the Cards. I would love to have Yadi back if he accepts my terms. I’m going after Contreras, explore a trade for Salvy ( royals are dumb ya never know), maybe Vazquez. Yadi would be Catching 1-2 a week max. Maybe DH once a week. The new Catcher would have some DH duty once or twice a week. He just isn’t producing enough offensively anymore and it shouldn’t get any better. I hate the DH but it is coming and would afford a way for Yadi to return. i don’t think Knizner will ever be more than a backup. Herrera has a few years to go if he develops. Yadi gonna need to give a Team special this time around. Love Yadi.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I doubt very much that Yadi is going spend any time on the bench in any season. He has his way with how much he plays. I can’t imagine how his retirement plays out but it won’t be at the end of this season. It will take an injury to get him out of the lineup.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

14NyquisT as I stated if I were in charge. Yadi would get Sunday home games behind the plate.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Katie Woo is reporting Yadi got a $10M extension.

I’m not opposed to the extension but 10M is too much. He’s 39 and declining. There’s simply way too much sentimentality with this team. If I’m Kniz I would ask to be traded to a team that would give me a shot at being a MLB starting catcher.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The $10M extension is about what I thought he would get. Waino will probably get similar.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Knizner behind he plate. But I’ve always felt like the organization views Herrera as our catcher of the future. If so, this gives Herrera another whole year to develop. Herrera will be 22 years old next July 7.

1982 willie
    Participant

Well I’m glad he has been signed up again. Ten million is a fair number for him and the team. Yadi is still a solid player.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Will 2022 really be his last year?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PadsFS
    Participant

Molina is only slightly below-average with the bat. The average catcher in baseball has a 90 wRC+ or a .690 OPS, while Molina is at 86 wRC+, or .679 OPS. He’s around 17th among MLB starters.

His defense is still above-average. He’s around 9th-14th in the league defensively.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No problem with another year as Yadi’s heir apparent is far from apparent. If Herrera’s ceiling has been reached, we may need to venture outside the organization for 2023.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pugs said:

“If Herrera’s ceiling has been reached…”

Those who favor batting average might wonder, but there is more to the picture.

Herrera turned 21 just a couple of months ago, is in his first shot at Double-A, and has shown improvement in each of the last two months.

June OPS .609
    July .738
    August .802

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

If Herrera continues to make strides it would be nice to see him as Yadi’s backup midseason on next year. Spending time watching and learning while getting a taste of the Big’s. Memphis until then.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is not coincidence. The Cards had almost half the number of SB attempts against them compared to the Padres. That had to impact the results of dozens of games not evident in the box score.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I am happy he is coming back for one more round. I think back to the early 2000s and hearing about the club having this catcher in the system who was “big league ready right now” defensively, but was not much on offense.

When he backed up Matheny in ‘04 he seemed a natural – sort of an Ozzie Smith of catchers. And like Ozzie his offense improved.

The future will evolve and hopefully Herrera or someone will step into the role and carry the tradition. For now, I am happy we are getting another year from Yadi. But, we may want to give him a few more off days. Let Kiz get in there a little more.

PadsFS
    Participant

The only issue I have with Molina coming back is not with Molina specifically. We can’t have defense-first, offense-second players at 4 different positions – CF, SS, 2B, and CA.

Molina now has an 83 wRC+, Bader is at 87, DeJong is at 89, and Edman jumped up to 96 with his hot week. The latter three should all be around Edman’s 96 (to 104) or so. One bright spot has been Sosa’s play with above-average defense and offense (112 wRC+), but we saw the same thing with Edman and DeJong during their first stints in the league.

Catching-wise, we are at this wRC+:
    CA – 77

What this tells me is that we have to improve our bench for 2022. If Sosa and Nootbarr are a part of that, so be it, but we certainly need some more reliable bench guys and that means catcher as well. Knizner isn’t the answer if he continues to produce so poorly that you almost can’t take Molina out. I know it’s a chicken and egg kind of thing for him, but I don’t know what else to do.

Viewing 19 posts - 651 through 669 (of 669 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years