Yadier Molina Contract Extension??

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Yadier Molina Contract Extension??

Viewing 25 posts - 626 through 650 (of 669 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think the front office is worried about Knizner maybe being the next Arozarena. The question will be do we want to give Knizner PAs or do we want to get the most out of our pitching staff by having Yadi behind the plate. Putting it another way, suppose you are Arenado and you are seeing the team slogging along playing .500 ball and there’s three outfielders hitting .235 clumped at the bottom of the order, the low cost option is across the diamond at 2B and Yadi is on the bench yet again. Nobody wants to see that happen, but four fifths of it would be unavoidable because Mo has provided no alternative. There is an alternative to the Yadi sitting part.

bccran
    Participant

Really like the video that Hochman came out with using stats to measure Yadi’s effectiveness in high leverage situations, medium leverage situations, and low leverage situations.
    He used batting average, on base percentage, slugging percentage, and OPS. My favorite stats. Yadi is far more effective in high leverage situations. In 2019 his OPS in high leverage situations was .903. In 2020 it was .922.
    Wow.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I want to develop play ers, but Yadi playing 140 games grinding to a WS championship is far more desirable than making sure your young catcher has a solid chance to hit .278. People should think about what would truly be great, and dream on that instead of back up catcher development.

With the recent moves by the FO to shift its focus towards winning the division this season makes the Molina contract of 1yr. and reasonable money a no-brainer. Kudos to the FO. Right now I have little doubt that the Cards will win the NLC and have the potential to move higher. The WS is not out of the question.
    I couldn’t have said that one month ago…. not even close.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Yadi could have signed the same contract months ago but it wouldn’t have fulfilled his drama needs. Glad to have him back at that price though.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Do you think 9mil was the “ridiculous” offer of months ago?

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I rarely disagree with you CC and consider you to be among the wisest of posters, but Yadi couldn’t have signed that contract months ago without drama. He would have been left with regret and self-doubt. We all knew the process that had to play out.
    The team would use patience and the market to bring the demands into place, and Yadi had to compete to the very end.
    Neither of those objectives could have been met months ago.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wouldn’t it have been stupid to sign him before his winter ball was done? Anyway, I have glad he is back.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good point, Bling. Easy to say after the fact, but Yadi wasn’t going anywhere. Some players are never destined to leave for another team. Could you ever picture Stan Musial in a Pirates uniform? Bob Gibson in a Red Sox uni? Dylan Carlson in a Mets?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bob Gibson would have refused to put on some of those Marlins uniforms.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Gil Hodges, Warren Spahn…. it was kind of sad but so many greats found work in their senior years. But you are right about Gibby….its almost impossible to picture him in another uniform.

Duke Snider in a Giants uniform????

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

VEB attempting to have some fun with projecting catcher playing time.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2021/2/11/22276537/2021-catcher-playing-time-production-projections

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

This is a great article. We all knew Yadi was great at cutting down runners, but this really puts it in perspective.

Yadi’s runner prevention

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

We may know what Molina’s camp wants…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t have a problem if they did another one year deal for 2022 but I think it best if they go year to year, at least best for the team.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With Knizner not looking like an MLB starter and Herrera probably a year away, a one year extension makes sense. Eventually Yadi will have to retire but he hasn’t looked much different this year than the last few.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Yadi certainly looks like he’s got another year in him and I don’t see anybody better on the horizon. I would definitely be firm on year to year.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Without a viable option and Molina looking like he still has some tread left it may be him and not the club calling the tune….

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With Knizner not looking like an MLB starter and Herrera probably a year away

Herrera hit .185 in June, and .188 so far in July. On the season .216 in the Texas League.

Just for comparison, Knizner had two stints in The Texas League, 2017 and 2018, and hit .324 and .313. He hit .276 in Memphis in 2019. He would probably be a .240ish hitter, or whatever MLB average is these days, if he played every day and we would give up a lot of SBs, so a marginal starter in MLB. Before we anoint Herrera as heir apparent, lets find out if he can play AA, and if he can, then let’s see if he can handle AAA.

1982 willie
    Participant

Yadi should be resigned and knizner deserves the backup role at this point. This guy in the minors hasn’t done anything yet to worry about. I’m not set that knizner is the future but I like him as a backup, part time player, and full time if yadi is injured or whatever.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The next chapter begins…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Geez will the insanity ever stop? 9 million again?How is Knizner ever getting a real chance? Nothing wrong with having Molina back as a guy who catches 80 games .3 XBH in 2 months is weak.The only saving grace is his RISP so far.Defense is declining.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Many who who follow our Cardinals think Ivan Herrera is our catcher of the future, not Knizner. I like seeing Knizner behind the plate. Maybe he’ll prove the experts wrong. But if Herrera is it for the future, we need Molina back for at least one more year because Herrera is not ready yet. IMO, Molina is still one of the best catchers in all of MLB.

1982 willie
    Participant

I like knizner but he’s just an average catcher in my opinion. Hard to totally say, but I give him slightly better than average offensively but slightly below on defense.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Herrera may be farther away than we realize. I would be very surprised if he is ready to be a big league starter by 2023. 2024 is more likely.

Viewing 25 posts - 626 through 650 (of 669 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years