Woodford

• This topic has 277 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 1 minute ago by ZTR.
Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 278 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

Former starter for the PCL in the AAA All Star Game. At least some baseball men have respected him.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not to take anything away from that 2019 PCL honor, but a lot has changed in the last three years. Not sure how that is even slightly relevant today, other than to note he has been in Triple-A a long time.

In a side note, Rangel Ravelo was the other Redbird in the 2019 game and Hudson was the starting pitcher for the PCL the year prior. Now those All-Star Games have been abolished by MLB.

Lee
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian
    It is relevant as he was chosen over probably 20-30 other pitchers. Or is it your saying the people who nominated Jake to start the aaa all star game, don’t really know what talent looks like?
    It’s ok to call it like it is: the Cards have unjustly kept him in aaa, even with better marks than others. We shouldn’t down play that the FO has failed yet again.

bccran
    Participant

Nothing of note, except that other baseball people outside of the Cardinals organization seem to have a higher opinion of Woodford. At least they did at one time. Woodford doesn’t throw the ball through the wall like Helsley, Pallante, Fernandez, etc. He relies on moving the ball in and out, up and down, hitting corners, changing speeds, etc. Professional pitching. Apparently the Cards prefer flame throwers in the pen. Or guys they’ve signed that haven’t worked out that they’re reluctant to admit they made mistakes on.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who are the other baseball people outside the Cards organization? I would guess that if someone had a higher opinion of Woodford than St Louis did, he’d be on that team right now.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Lee, to answer your question, I think you missed a key word. It was a nice honor at the time, which I acknowledged. I also stated a 2019 All-Star appearance has no relevance to TODAY, which is what this thread is all about – how Woodford has been used here in 2022.

bccran
    Participant

Consensus seems to be that he’s getting a raw deal. I tend to agree.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As a starter .400 win percentage, 4.05 ERA, 1.325 WHIP. Not super compelling.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Cardinals didn’t have any pitching issues all season, health or otherwise, it might make sense that Woodford hasn’t been used more. But that obviously hasn’t been the case. A lot of the pitchers we’ve used have far worse numbers than Woodford and we have kept trying to use them in spite of that. Obvious a raw deal is going on here. I have hardly any respect for this management the team has.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

You can assume the situation is a cinergy. Load management has to allow him to produce 30 September innings without going far beyond 150. He may be of less trade value now so you don’t have to be concerned with optics, and he may even be involved in a rift.
    The Cardinals model includes the concept of dry powder. Perhaps that explains his usage without conspiracy theories being necessary.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Woodford’s pitches have late movement that wasn’t there a year or two ago. With the recent influx of pitching, there’s no reason to try to break him into MLB this year. So he’s pretty much out of the loop until next spring unless he’s chosen to be one of the September call-ups.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

If I looked at it correct, he has used all 3 of his options. That means he will either be on the major league team next year or have to be exposed to the other teams to pick up.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Woodford:
    11-20-2019, added to 40man during the offseason.

2020, did anyone use an option year when there were no minors games? Need Brians help on that one. He has all that taxi squad / alternate site stuff figured out.

4-11-21, optioned to alternate traing site from ST.
    4-30-21 called up. Less than 20 days.
    6-28-21 optioned down.
    7-19-21 called up. Less than 20 days?
    8-1-21 optioned down
    9-3-21 called up. This is more than 20 days. I believe he used an option year here.

5-6-22, makes active roster out of ST
    5-15-22 optioned down.
    5-26 recalled. Less than 20 days.
    5-30 optioned down.
    6-4 recalled. Less than 20.
    6-6 optioned down
    6-25 recalled. Less than 20.
    7-2 optioned down to date, more than 20 days, so an option yr was used.

2020? Don’t know
    2021 used option yr
    2022 used option yr

What about 2020 forsch? Do you know if anyone used a option yr?

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I forgot about that crazy season. I’m not sure if there were any options that year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I didn’t verify, but I think Woodford had two of three (corrected) allowable options remaining coming into this season.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

How about 2020 Brian?
    Did no player lose an option year that season?

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Woodford gets 4 seasons?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No, four seasons was a mistake. The fourth doesn’t even potentially come into play until three are used.

As far as 2020, it depended on the player. I don’t think Woodford used an option last year.

An author at VEB dug into 2020 options in detail with Justin Williams the then-current example.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2021/3/25/22349348/williams-gets-a-fourth-option-for-2021-the-mystery-unraveled

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Brian, Woodford used an option last year. He was sent down August 1 and recalled September 3. That’s at least 20 days. If you meant 2020, I’m not sure. I think his nickname was “YoYo” that year the way he was up and down.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

* If a players optional assignment(s) to the minors totals less than 20 days in one season, an option is not used –cots transaction glossary

So it’s less than 20 days total, not per demotion. Clearly Woodford has used two seasons, 21′ and 22′, it’s 2020 that is unclear.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In the case of DeJong, weren’t his previous assignments to MiLB all injury rehabs? If so then 2022 is his first option year used, correct?

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Once you reach 5 years of service time you have the right to refuse minor league option. DeJong is close to reaching it. He started the season with 4.127 years of service.
    Woodford had 2 option years entering this season.

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/depth-charts/cardinals

bccran
    Participant

Against a decent Jacksonville team
    last night – 6 innings pitched, 83 pitches, 53 strikes, 1 run given,
    5 hits given, 5 strike outs.

The beat goes on.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Which current starter is Woodford better than? I can see the point of having him as a backup in case of emergency. He’d be better than some in our bullpen but we have some middle innings guys now.

Bottom line, it’s fine that he’s staying stretched out and having good results.

bccran
    Participant

Might as well move out of his apartment and buy a home in Memphis. In a neighborhood with good schools for the kids.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 278 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.