Woodford

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 306 total)
  • Author
    kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Been 12 Hrs.

bccran
    Participant

Woodford started tonight for Memphis and only pitched 2 innings. That’s happened before, so it seems to be the game plan. Anyone know why?

bccran
    Participant

Woodford started for Memphis tonight. 5 shutout innings, giving up only 3 hits. Struck out 5 and walked none.
    When will they learn? Oh, that’s right, they’re paying VerHagen $2.5 million this year and $3.0 million next year. Gotta play him.

By the way, Memphis scored 19 runs tonight on 23 hits. Could have used some of that at Busch.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just a shame. While I’m not sure I like Woodford against the dodgers, I’m good with him against most anyone else. Its practically criminal what this organization is doing to Woodford.

Lee
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Time to stop wasting Woodford in AAA. get him back up.! He totally dominated for 5 innings last night with 5 k’s, 0 walks and only 3 hits: all on only 73 pitches… could have easily gone 1-2 more inngs.!

14NyquisT
    Participant

I think they locked the door to his doghouse.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Whether management thinks Woody will fail at the MLB level or not, they need to give him a shot. If the big league middle relievers were effective then fine, stay the course. But this business of not being about to hold 5 run leads is going to cost a post season berth if it is not addressed soon.

bccran
    Participant

They simply can’t continue to go with VerHagen in that role.

Lee
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agreed bccran. They are not utilizing Woodford as they should be. Time for management to be grown ups and stop behaving like little babies.

CardsFan333
    Participant

Free

Perfect timing to get Woody back up and get him some starts. There is absolutely no reason not to get him up there. I did watch his last game at Memphis, 4 runs and 3 bbs, but I really question the umpire, he was missing calls in and out: vs. LH batters he set up way left of the catcher, towards the hitter, so a ball on the outside corner he couldn’t see… This should be addressed with the umpires Assocation, it really shouldn’t happen at this level. And it happened and least 5-6 times. with the proper calls his outing is much better.

Lee
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For sure. Get him up. I watched his last game in Memphis as well. You are correct, the umpire missed several calls in the first two innings. Innings 3+4 he did great, breaking stuff was there. I think the third inning he did in either 4 or 5 pitches.!

CardsFan333
    Participant

Free

Comment on ST louis dispatch, Monday chat.
    The host claims that management sent Woodford down to work on slider in order to go deeper into games.? Not sure if this was from the FO or manager.
    mmmm… lets look at Woodfords starts from last year.
    7/19. 5.2IP, 1R, 80 pitches
    7/24. 5.0IP, 3R, 88 pitches
    7/31. 3.0IP, 5R, 72 pitches
    9/4. 5.1IP, 0R, 74 pitches. this one early relief of KK.
    9/9. 4.0IP, 1R, 66 pitches
    9/14. 4.0IP, 2R, 61 pitches
    9/21. 5.0IP, 0R, 84 pitches
    9/26. 5.1IP, 2R, 83 pitches
    10/3. 5.0IP, 3R, 76 pitches
    So after reading this, Woodford was pulled way before he had to be most every time out, probably 1or2 it was justified. I have followed Woodford through the system, and him throwing 100 pitches was always the norm. As a starting pitcher it is given that 100 pitches is the norm.
    So I call BS on the entire treatment of him this season. Hard to say its not Marmol, as last year with the same front office and Schildt, he got the opportunity to succeed, which he did!
    This if looks very bad on the Cardinals and Marmol. PLease, please trade this kid so he can go play the game he loves and help another team win.!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m surprised Woody is still here.

Lee
    Participant

Paid - Annual

me too. wish he would go to a team that will at least give him a shot, which he more than deserves.
    Cards have really done him wrong this year… Hard to be a fan anymore. FO and Oli simply making bad one bad decision after another. Time for MO to go. Ownership needs to wake up and see what is going on. Not just this to Woody, but the number of just awful trades and silly contracts are making this team worse.

CardsFan333
    Participant

Free

Agree with you bling.
    Hope he gets a shot or gets moved.

Lee, the FO is never wrong. just ask them.

LOL

bccran
    Participant

Now that the Cards have 2 new starters and Pallante is probably going to be the long man in the bullpen, it pushes Woodford even deeper down the chain. I wonder if he’s requested a trade.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I wonder if any other teams tried to get Woodford away from the Cardinals at the trade deadline?

He’s got to be at least an average ML starter / long reliever…

Do Marmol or Mo get asked direct questions about Woodford at press conferences and if they do what have they said? Anything substantive?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Seems like we have eight pages and running of the same sentiment expressed repeatedly. It is pretty clear now that the earliest a trade could be made would be this off-season. Minor leaguers, even ones on the 40-man roster, have little to no leverage. The best way to get traded, IMO, is to pitch (or hit) so well that other teams want you – and make a good offer to acquire you. Based on his usage, I doubt the Cards want to keep Woodford so badly that they wouldn’t take a fair return for him if it was presented to them. In the meantime, keep plugging away and stay ready if called upon again. Requesting a trade right now would benefit no one.

bccran
    Participant

The bottom line is that he’s only pitched 20 2/3 innings for the Cardinals in a year where the rotation has been ravaged by injuries and the bullpen has sprung leaks, especially in long relief. His ERA in those few innings is 3.05. Something doesn’t add up.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As was discussed on earlier pages, Marmol had expressed concern about his offerings. Posters here questioned it based on data reviewed. Whether or not it is believed or is accurate, it is the word on record. For whatever reason, they seem to lack confidence in him compared to other pitchers.

Following the trade deadline and the addition of three pitchers from the outside, the Cardinals have Pallante and Hicks as long relievers and another middle innings guy in Stratton. They have two new proven MLB starters in Montgomery and Quintana. So any near term need/opportunity for Woodford is diminished.

CardsFan333
    Participant

Free

Understand Brian, but Woodford is not really a minor league player, he has proven MLB ready over the past two seasons, its just that the Cards have him stuck in AAA. I don’t really care about leverage, they should just do the right thing: If they don’t like him anymore, which seems obvious, then let him go and find a team that does like him. (shouldn’t be too hard.) The 7-year relationship they have had deserves better treatment.

bccran
    Participant

That’s exactly right, Brian. The need is diminished. As has been said. I wonder if the Cards have been reluctant to trade him because of the high level of success attained by others they have traded.
    To save potential additional embarrassment.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is a possibility, but it isn’t like Woodford has the same ceiling of a Sandy Alcantara, who is looking like the best pitcher in the NL right now.

As a comparison, the Cards did not hesitate to trade Oviedo, who many would consider a comparable talent. If Pittsburgh had asked for Woodford instead, I have no doubt he would have been included.

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t get the angst with Woodford. The Cardinals are right. He struggles a lot. He typically runs a 2:1 strikeouts to walks ratio and is doing that again at Memphis. His WHIP at Memphis is almost 1.4, which is not good at all. Too many base runners and lots of hard contact against him at the MLB level. Sure, his ERA looks good. But that just means he was lucky. He’s certainly not a better option than any of our 5 starters now. You could argue that he deserves a bullpen spot over Naughton, but the Cardinals would much rather have him improve as a starter long-term than languish in fringe usage territory in our bullpen. I think that’s a smart move. Better for the Cardinals and better for Jake long-term (or at least hopefully if he can get sharper).

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Exactly, Jnevel. Woodford is a poor man’s Hudson, except without the drilling sinker that makes him truly able to beat the odds longer term. And Hudson is probably destined for the bullpen himself unless he gets things turned around. Woodford is a good depth piece, and is a #5/6 starter at absolute best. I’m fine with stashing him until there’s not an apparent need and then trading him elsewhere.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 306 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.