Vote here for 2020 top-50 Cardinal prospects

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Vote here for 2020 top-50 Cardinal prospects

This topic contains 383 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 1 hour, 40 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 384 total)
  • Author
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Is Nogowski’s upside higher than Ravelo’s? It seems the Cards prioritized Ravelo.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Since they both hit pretty well, but I think Ravelo should be rated higher because of defensive versatility. I like Nogowski, but he can only play first. (Btw Nogowski is a fine fielder)

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have seen 3 of 4 of my recent picks, and this is what I saw:

15- Adolis Garica- He had a very good year at Memphis. If he made more contact, he would be rated much higher. He has more natural ability than any of the other outfielders, but his patience at the plate lags way behind his other skills.
    16- Locey- He throws very hard, 93-96 mphs easy with reported 100 miles an hour in college. Control will tell whether he remains as a starter. His floor is that of a high pressure reliever. His fastball seemed to have good life, and potentially good breaking ball. My guess is he will be one of many candidates to start at Peoria.
    17- Oviedo- He was very good at Palm Beach, and was so-so at Springfield. But that was his first AA test, and he surely will improve at the same locale next year. Memphis and St Louis could be within his reach next season. Like a lot of young starters he needs to improve his control.
    18- Julio Rodriguez- He was hot and cold most of the year. He started out red hot at Palm Beach, cooled down, then finished the season at Springfield. He looks good behind the plate, and his defense is very good. I believe he has power potential to hit 20+ home runs. If he can stay more consistent at the plate, I can see him passing Knizner as our top catching prospect because of his overall play.

desmetlax12
    Participant

Free

15. Sosa
    16. Oviedo
    17. A. Garcia
    18. Fletcher

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I like Ravelo over Jose Martinez (if we can get any value in a trade as a matter of maximising assets), but I think Nagowski has more value if Goldy were injured. Nagowski and Ravelo have similar power, but Nagowski’s obp sends his overall profile beyond where Ravelo stands.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

15. Luken Baker
    16. Evan Mendoza
    17. Ramon Urias
    18. Julio Rodriguez

Christopher Jeske
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree that it’s hard to tell what the Cards think about Nogowski, especially by having him repeat AA after the Arizona Fall League invite (even if he was the taxi-squad player).

There’s a nice article about him on Fangraphs today: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/john-nogowskis-improbable-path/

From that: “he said that he hopes to gain more reps in the outfield this winter as a member of the Águilas Cibaeñas in the Dominican winter league in order to help be more attractive to a big league manager in the future. He is also eligible for the Rule 5 Draft this winter”

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Here is the final tally for Round #5:

15. OVIEDO

16. AGARCIA

17. SOSA

18. FLETCHER

Thank you for coming here and placing your votes and comments.

Round #6 will feature who will be included in the 2020 top-20. Numbers 19-20-21-22.

flood21
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

19. Seijas

20. Baker

21. Ralston

22. Delvin Perez

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

2020 Current results

#1. DYLAN CARLSON
    #2. NOLAN GORMAN
    #3. ANDREW KNIZNER
    #4. RANDY AROZARENA
    #5. ELEHURIS MONTERO
    #6. IVAN HERRERA
    #7. ZACK THOMPSON
    #8. JAKE WOODFORD
    #9. ANGEL RONDON
    #10. MALCOLM NUNEZ
    #11. JHON TORRES
    #12. JUNIOR FERNANDEZ
    #13. GENESIS CABRERA
    #14. JUSTIN WILLIAMS
    #15. JOHAN OVIEDO
    #16. ADOLIS GARCIA
    #17. EDMUNDO SOSA
    #18. TREJYN FLETCHER

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

#19- JuRODRIGUEZ

#20- TONY LOCEY

#21- LUKEN BAKER

#22- EVAN KRUCZYNSKI

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

19. Luken Baker. This mountain of a man went volcanic down the stretch at Palm Beach, indicating that he might have finally caught on with the bat. If he starts in Springfield next year and they really use the juiced ball, he could REALLY have himself a monster year.

20. Julio Rodriguez. He’s probably a future defense first backup, but he did hit well in Palm Beach before his promotion. If somehow he can be league average with the bat, he could make this ranking look too light.

21. Delvin Perez. Yeah, I’m cautiously buying the hype. He hit .323/.374/.465 from Aug 1 to the end of the season, and Peoria is not exactly a hitter’s haven. We know he has a solid to good glove at SS, but the bat is the question. At 20, it’s not too late for him to grow into a future big leaguer but he will need to get a move on as Rule 5 awaits before long.

22. Mateo Gil. Another young SS who had a better than expected year, Mr Gil’s son put up a bit better than expected .270-.324-.431 line at Johnson City. This was also his age 18 season, as he turned 19 in late July. He did make a whopping 17 errors, but that’s not uncommon for young guys like this. I think he’s a sleeper future starter.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

19) Locey
    20) J Rodriguez
    21) Ralston
    22) Whitley

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

19. Kodi Whitley
    20. Tony Locey
    21. Juan Yepez
    22. Delvin Perez

Christopher Jeske
    Participant

Paid - Annual

19. Justin Toerner
    20. John Nogowski
    21. Luken Baker
    22. Ramon Urias

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Ralston
    Urias
    Roberts
    Seijas

Wiley
    Participant

Free

Nyquist, why would Gomber be no longer eligible?

Wiley
    Participant

Free

After a year when our system was flying high, it collectively fell on its face. It was a bad year for our hopefuls and that is why I’m going with the newbies.

19. Andre Pallante
    20. Logan Gragg
    21. Connor Thomas
    22. Jack Ralston

vegasjim
    Participant

Paid - Annual

19. Seijas
    20. Whitley
    21. Perez
    22. Baker

grenadier1
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

19. Julio Rodriguez – There are a lot worse things to have in your system than a good to great defensive catcher who put up a 115 wRC+ at roughly league average age while being named a FSL all-star. I still have a hard time envisioning him as more than a b/u catcher at the MLB level, which, again, isn’t the worst kind of prospect to have in your system.

20. Tommy Parsons – Here is another prospect that my formula likes better than I do. I wanted to move him below most of the pitchers drafted this year, but left him as a rooting for the underdog kind of thing. If he gets another tick on FB to go with a good C/U and CB he has back of the rotation promise as an inning eater that commands his pitches well. Otherwise he’s probably the command over stuff pitcher that gets eaten alive at AA. So far the stats say he’s the latter, but I’m pulling for the underdog here.

21. Andre Pallante – Solid FB/Slider guy who pretty much tore up his first taste of college ball. Four solid offerings with good control gives him in my estimation a #3 starter upside with a very good chance of staying in the rotation for the long haul. Going to be in a crowded mix for PB rotation with the chance to move pretty quickly through the system. PB could very well have a stacked rotation next year.

22. Luken Baker – If you haven’t already done so go back and look at Jeske’s write up on Baker and Toerner. Baker is a good bet to take off in AA next year. If they get the juiced ball look out. Enormous power potential and good plate discipline numbers over the last two years are worth getting excited over. With any luck he’s a pure masher that gets to the big leagues coincidental with the arrival of the DH in the NL in 2-3 years (I kid, I kid).

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatar grenadier1.
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Wiley, Gomber pitched 75 innings in the major leagues this year.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Lets repeat from the last round:

19. Luken Baker
    20. Evan Mendoza
    21. Ramon Urias
    22. Julio Rodriguez

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

19. Kodi Whitley – This kid has been lights out as a reliever through three levels all season long. He’s almost a ‘can’t miss’ MLB bullpen guy.
    20. Julio Rodriguez
    21. Delvin Perez – He’s still young at 20 years old, turning 21 in November. He’s finally starting to rise offensively.
    22. Mateo Gil – It’s hard for me to vote for any player based on Low A stats. But I just have a good feeling about Mateo Gil. I agree that he could be a sleeper.

Wiley
    Participant

Free

CC, Gomber did not pitch in the majors this year. He did not throw one single pitch for the team. He was injured most of the year in Springfield. However, he did throw that much in 2018, so ineligible.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

We’re still waiting for a number of regular voters.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 384 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years