Vote here for 2020 top-50 Cardinal prospects

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Vote here for 2020 top-50 Cardinal prospects

This topic contains 154 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Nigel T 7 hours, 32 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 155 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

4- MOntero – I think he will tear up the AFL and be an MVP candidate for Springfied next season.

5- Arozarena – THe most improved minor leaguer this season. He hits for a higher average than his other outfield prospects, and showed decent power this year. If he was left handed I think he would have unseated O’Neill as the likely replacement for Ozuna.

6- Rondon- Very durable, and pitched very well in the hitter friendly Texas League. I think he is a great Spring training away from being the Cardinals number 5 starter. IMO, the 2nd best starting prospect behind Helsley.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

4 Herrera
    5 Arozarena
    6 Montero

grenadier1
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

My top 5 is pretty solid, but after that its a little bit of a toss up for me to some degree 6-12. There are some good arguments on here for Herrera and Rondon, however:

4. Elehuris Montero – Hand injuries (particularly hamate bone injuries) are historically difficult for hitters to recover from, so I think the AFL will be telling as far as where he is in his recovery. I still think he is one of the top 2 or 3 pure hitters in the system.

5. Randy Arozarena – My personal favorite prospect in the system. I hold out hope that he can beat out Fowler in Spring Training for a spot in the OF next year. A 162(AA)/151(AAA) wRC+ is really exciting. To me he closely resembles Tommy Pham. That’s a pretty good piece to have lying around the farm, but better to have starting in the MLB outfield.

6. Genesis Cabrera – Basically it’s very close for me between Cabrera, Z. Thompson, Herrera, Fernandez, Torres, Nunez, and Rondon (not to forshadow my next picks or anything). I lean Cabrera because of the potential in that FB, but primarily the fact that the FB emanates from his left hand. If it all comes together for him by Spring training of next year I really like a starting rotation with Flaherty, Hudson and Cabrera.

desmetlax12
    Participant

Free

Whoops, I missed Helsey had graduated from the list

6. Arozarena

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

4. Montero

5. Herrera

6. Fagalde

vegasjim
    Participant

Paid - Annual

4. Montero
    5. Arozarena
    6. Woodford

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Bob Cobb
    Bob Cobb
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry for being late to the party. I’m at work so I can’t elaborate, but….

4. Arozarena
    5. J. Fernandez
    6. Rondon

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Not criticizing the votes of others but extremely surprised by the early support for Fernandez. Mostly because he seems that he will be relegated to relief and our prospect rankings (as most others) have seldom given such high rankings to relievers – even potential lock down closers. Do those voting for Fernandez anticipate him being our closer next year?

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve had similar feelings about Fernandez. The organization likes him. He’s had good success recently and got called up for September. He does look good in the times that I’ve seen him. He looks confident on the mound. The major league team wouldn’t be in first place, if not for the dominant bullpen that we have. Times have changed. The bullpen is now almost on par with the rotation for getting wins. I’m thinking about voting for Fernandez in the 8-12 range.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

The difference among Fernandez, Whitley, Dobanski, and and say Meyers or even Conner Jones is negligible. With his injury history, I can’t see him in the top 15.
    Ponce, Thompson, Helsley, Gomber, and Rondon should all be ahead of Fernandez.

Wiley
    Participant

Free

4. Arozarena -While everyone was focused on Carlson, Randy put on a hitting barrage that screamed “Hey look at me!” The numbers don’t lie, he owned AAA pitching.
    5. Malcom Nunez – The Tsunami of DR players hitting the state-side shores was huge and most of them flopped on the beach, but a very young Nunez held his own and next year he will again excel.
    6. Zack Thompson – Respect for his first overall choice. Our scouts know their business.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Nigel – Ponce, Helsley and Gomber aren’t eligible this year. Still good young players, just not eligible for this list to be ahead of Junior.

As far as the ones that are, Rondon and Thompson definitely should be and then there are some that are likely about the same level as JF and Whitley.

I’ve been looking into it a lot more the last week or so, it doesn’t seem that there is a single A+ or below pitcher to be really excited about except maybe Pallante. Am I missing someone, or a few hopefully, who are in the lower levels? Although TINSTAAPP.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Am I missing someone, or a few hopefully, who are in the lower levels?

Ludwin Jimenez. The stats may not jump out at you at first, but consider that he was 17 this year and pitching in the US. He was 2nd in the GCL in IP and Ks, with decent peripherals in each of his two years. He even pitched a couple games at Palm Beach, with the one that was rained out a particularly solid start against much older hitting. He will be the next Card pitcher to throw a no hitter.

Brought to you by the Ludwin Jimenez Fanclub ™.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am excited about the pitchers we drafted this year. From our first round pick Thompson, Locey, Pallante, Thomas, Ralston, Gragg, Lunn, and Yasenka. I know they pitched in relief mostly and above the competition. Solano and Soto are others who quietly had a good year. They should all start at either Peoria or Pam Beach. I also wonder if Thomas and Roberts from last year may be moved to the bullpen. Thomas should start but it is a crowded field, unless they decide to do piggy back starts.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

STLC25, I like what I see there, you are correct. I will however disagree and put my vote in for JF to be the next to throw a no hitter.

grenadier1
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Cardinals27, I’m with you on the pitchers drafted this year. I’m also intrigued by the two HS arms they signed in Statler and Hart. I’m really big on Ralston. Big college lefty with passable stuff and a small possible to plus it up. Really good numbers in brief work at State College. Very interested to see if he can push to make the PB rotation out of Spring Training next year. I think you’ll see Thompson and Pallente in the PB rotation next year, likely with Seijas starting their as well. That leaves two rotation spots for guys like Locey, Thomas, Ralston and Yesenka to battle for and that doesn’t take into account guys like Cordero and others. Pitching is going to be much more competitive this year than last, which is great.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ralston has a very unique windmill type delivery. For a very tall kid, he is very deceptive, plus he throws 92-95 mph. I also find there is a large contingent of Palm Beach rotation candidates:

All of the 2019 draftees mentioned above
    Seijas
    Cordero
    DEllavalle (suspended for the start of 2020)
    Edgar Gonzalez
    Roberts
    Leahy
    Walsh
    Gingery

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

#4 Thompson
    #5 Arozarena
    #6 Woodford

We’ll wait until later in the morning today to call Round 2 at which point Round 3 (nos.#7-#10) will begin.

There was some discussion last year about the rounds being 4 prospects or 5. I have no problem with 4.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Am I missing someone, or a few hopefully, who are in the lower levels?

Angel Cuenca is another pitcher to keep an eye on.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Okay…. putting out your selections for round two…. numbers 4-6.

#4 Arozarena
    #5 Montero
    #6 IHerrera

We will start now on numbers 7-8-9-10.

Following round 3 we will continue on with rounds in sets of four.

flood21
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

7. Woodford

8. Thompson

9. Williams

10. Nunez

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

2020 Current results

#1. DYLAN CARLSON
    #2. NOLAN GORMAN
    #3. ANDREW KNIZNER
    #4. RANDY AROZARENA
    #5. ELEHURIS MONTERO
    #6. IVAN HERRERA

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

I’ll kick off round 4:

# 7- Thompson
    # 8- Woodford
    # 9- Rondon
    # 10- Nunez

desmetlax12
    Participant

Free

7. Thompson
    8. Torres
    9. Woodford
    10. Rondon

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 155 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years