Vote here for 2020 top-50 Cardinal prospects

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Vote here for 2020 top-50 Cardinal prospects

This topic contains 419 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by Avatar 14NyquisT 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 420 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I still have 3 more pitchers drafted in 2019 high on my list. I just wish I knew which of them the Cardinals FO will move to the bullpen. The only one I am not high on is Thomas , which unless his fastball has an uptick I see him as a LOOGY.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

31. Yuan Yepez
    32. Brandon Donovan
    33. Yariel Gonzalez
    34. Brady Whalen

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

31. Evan Mendoza
    32. Conner Capel
    33. Tommy Parsons
    34. Seth Elledge

Wiley
    Participant

Free

31. Logan Gragg – Dominated as a reliever in SC, so they promoted him to Peoria where he was put into the rotation. In eight starts he had a 3.38era with a K per inning.
    32. Connor Thomas
    33. Justin Toerner
    34. Tommy Parsons

Christopher Jeske
    Participant

Paid - Annual

31. Justin Toerner
    32. John Nogowski
    33. Juan Yepez
    34. Rangel Ravelo

grenadier1
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

31. Tommy Parsons – Not going to beat a dead horse, but really, if you like Fagalde, you should love Parsons. Feel good story with a little better stuff in my opinion. I think he didn’t trust/command his offspeed stuff enough in AA and got into some trouble. If he’s able to get back on track and cut down on the homers by trusting his stuff he’ll take off next year and be the next Cardinals “devil magic” pitcher.

32. Rangel Ravelo – Another guy who should be on the bench now taking most of Jose Martinez’s ABs. Good bench bat with power who is what he is at this point. I like this guy and hope he gets every chance to stay in the show next year.

33. Seth Elledge – Pitching well in the AFL and just needs the consistency to be a legit candidate to break camp with the big club next year. Likely another year in Memphis as there is no rush to add him to the 40 man and start his clock. Likely a high leverage reliever who could profile as a back of the bullpen guy at some point, though I don’t think he beats out Hicks, Helsley, or Fernandez for that role anytime soon. Still really good odds to be an impact reliever and that’s pretty good depth to have this deep in your system.

34. Austin Warner – Toss up for relatively soft tossing lefty who makes it to the big leagues and confounds guys between Warner, Kruczynski, and Gingery. Gingery has the best pitch, but injuries knock him down a little until he can pitch again. Krucynski got hit around this year so that leaves Warner as the what have you done for me lately candidate. Pitched really well in AA which is a separator. If he can stick in Memphis next year and perform, that says a lot about his future. Maybe a back end of the rotation lefty or maybe a AAAA guy. Either way a good piece to have in your system.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Grenadier, what is it about Ravelo’s .205/.256/.410 slash line makes you think he should be taking playing AB’s from Martinez?

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

31. Gingery
    32. Escobar
    33. Capel
    34. Gragg

Pedro Pages is in my next group

grenadier1
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Carioca, May be a bit of fatigue for Martinez honestly. The slash line you reference for Ravelo in his 39 big league ABs is a pretty small sample at this point but looking back over their career minors numbers they both show well above average numbers at the plate by wRC+. Remarkably similar to my eye (granted I’m on my phone at the airport waiting for my flight to Korea so the numbers are smaller.) I will admit I based that comment was a little more on gut feeling than numbers. I was surprised that Martinez has been a league average hitter this year. I think Ravelo is a bit more useful in the field to my eye, but overall I think their value on the bench is a wash after looking a little deeper in the stats. So to answer your question I guess personal preference and a little artistic license bordering on hyperbole.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sweet response, Grenadier!

31. Yuan “Pez” Yepez

32. Pedro “Pepe” Pages (pronounced “Pa-hayes”)

33. Rangel “Ravy” Ravelo

34. Tommy “The Tarantula” Parsons – Alexander Fagalde lite……but this still bodes very well for the young man. We’ll see him in St. Louis one day.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

31. Justin Toerner. As mentioned before, he can play all three OF spots and has a penchant for quality at bats. His left handed profile gives him at least a puncher’s chance of making it to the big leagues some day.

32. Yariel Gonzalez. He can do a bit of everything for the baby Birds. He’s a little old for a prospect, but he has such versatility, getting a few starts at 1B, 2B, SS, 3B and LF this year. His .803 OPS at Springfield was very solid.

33. Rangel Ravelo. He’s already in St Louis and might be the next Like Voit. It’s hard to see him getting a full shot with Goldy around so he could be trade bait or maybe he takes over the Jmart role next year as pinch hitter and RF/1B type. His on base percentages have always been solid.

34. Ludwin “The Magnificent” Jimenez. He followed up his age 16 debut in the DSL by coming to America this year and making a name for himself all over again. The stats may not wow you at first glance, but for a 17 year old they were impressive nonetheless. He was second in the Gulf Coast League in innings pitched and strikeouts. He even made a couple of moonlight appearances in Palm Beach and held his own in the first (it was rained out, unfortunately, before he could gather official stats but he’d allowed one run in 4 IP). His fastball doesn’t have the velocity quite yet to see the big jump in his status, but I think it happens soon and he will rocket up the prospect rankings. I’m still on record as saying he throws the next Cardinals no hitter sometime in 2023.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Waiting for the usual suspects. The voting in this round is very close and we’re starting to see a lot of new names being mentioned. 22 players have gotten votes in this round so far.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

31. Edgar Escobar – He could get a lot more attention next season. WHIP 1.04, SO9 11.
    32. Rangel Ravelo
    33. Juan Yepez
    34. Justin Toerner

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Steven Gingery got almost double his 4th round slot value ($825K) even though recovering from Tommy John surgery in 2018. He was out all of 2018. And he was still unable to pitch in 2019. Does anybody know what happened to him? Did his TJ not work out, or did he just need an extra season to get stronger?

2019 would have effectively been his first season since he was still recovering from TJ during all of 2018. The Cardinals, for the most part, seem to follow a program of strengthening a pitcher in the pitcher’s first year.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Avatar mudville.
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gingery pitched one time late in the season for the GCL.

desmetlax12
    Participant

Free

31. Toerner
    32. Yepez
    33. Elledge
    34. Brendan Donovan

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Last call for top-50 prospects round 9.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Round 9 saw many new names and included 22 different prospects mentioned. The balloting was very close and the results are:

#31. JUAN YEPEZ
    #32. JUSTIN TOERNER
    #33. EVAN MENDOZA
    #34. RANGEL RAVELO

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Round 10 – #35-#36-#37-#38 will kick off now and this is the list from the last three rounds.

#23. TONY LOCEY
    #24. ALVARO SEIJAS
    #25. MATEO GIL
    #26. RAMON URIAS
    #27. ANDRE PALLANTE
    #28. JACK RALSTON
    #29. GRIFFIN ROBERTS
    #30. ALEX FAGALDE
    #31. JUAN YEPEZ
    #32. JUSTIN TOERNER
    #33. EVAN MENDOZA
    #34. RANGEL RAVELO

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Ramon Mendoza
    Elledge
    Kruczinski
    Capel

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

35. Connor Capel OF
    36.Brendan Donovan 3B
    37. Seth Elledge P
    38. Roel Ramirez P

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

35- Escobar
    36- Burgos
    37- Gragg
    38- Elledge

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One clarification, I think his last name is spelled Yepez.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

35. Brendan Donovan
    36. Yariel Gonzalez
    37. Brady Whalen
    38. Leandro Cedeno

flood21
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

35. Donovan

36. Parsons

37. Escobar

38. Krucynski

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 420 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years