Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021-2022

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021-2022

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 1,139 total)
  • Author
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Thanks for TEX effort jager. I didn’t have any luck lining up something I liked. Kept trying carp / bader for gallo / odor but couldn’t stomach the idea of Odor for 2 seasons even if TEX buys him down. Eventually decided to keep what we have and hope O’Neill breaks out.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I think the Cardinals could stand pat and wait until the trade deadline. If they need an OF at that time, they could swing a deal from someone.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If it’s not going to work for Gorman to switch over to second base, I’d like to see him traded for a Top 50 MLB outfielder or middle infielder.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

For me, Gorman stays in the org and at 3B until Arenado declines both opt outs. I’m also of the opinion the DH will continue in the NL, so if his bat is all that, a power LH bat sounds real good in the lineup.

shakenbake McBride
    Participant

Free

with regards to Joey Gallo of Texas, he makes Dave Kingman and Pete Incaviglia look like batting champions. We need guys that consistently get on base and put the ball in play. Sub .210 hitters who are K machines hurt more than they help.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nelson Cruz returns to the Twins, one year $13 MM. Good match.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mo hinted that there might be more moves on the way. Obviously he might be referring to Molina. But could there be something beyond Molina? If so, who?

Wong- That would give us one of the best defensive infields of all time and let Edman go back to super sub.

Ozuna- If the DH comes back, and that is a big if, Ozuna would give the lineup more length.

OF- Nimmo, Conforto, Gallo, and Peralta have been mentioned or something smaller like Duvall or Pillar.

SP- Maybe we try to add length to the rotation with someone like Odorizzi, Paxton, Hamels, Arrieta, Samardzija, etc….

Since Arenado isn’t costing us anything this year we still have room in the budget to add while staying under last year’s payroll right? We know we can win the NLC but if we are going to go head to head with the Dodgers, Padres, Braves, Mets, and Nats in the playoffs we need another weapon or two.

And this is the conversation I thought we would be having next winter.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Yes, since the Cardinals aren’t spending anything on Arenado, the ideal situation would be to bring back Yadi, Wong & Ozuna (if there is a DH). I would have to think the Cardinals would be WS favorites at that point.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

If they try to add length to the rotation I could see a lowball offer to Porcello.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

saw that the Cardinals have shown interest in Odorizzi and Paxton

I like either on a 1yr deal, Paxton has been fragile of late but he has Ace level stuff and would give us a nice lefty option for the rotation that we have lost in Gomber

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Dodgers are like the Cardinals, except most of the time, when they are not…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Oops. This is what Nightengale posted last night. Got out in front of his interference, apparently.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good for Bauer. The Dodgers have now gotten and signed Betts and Bauer in successive offseasons. That is what happens when you are a big market behemoth, operating on a level St Louis could never dream of.

The good thing is that when they meet in October, anything can happen.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Historic.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Might be 4 for 2022 as Buehler may be the best of the bunch this coming year.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dodgers are like the Cardinals, except most of the time, when they are not…

That is what happens when you are a big market behemoth, operating on a level St Louis could never dream of.

I have been waiting on these comments. No doubt this signing is not a Cardinal like signing. It really isn’t a Friedman like signing when you look at his history. Until today his largest FA signing with the Dodgers was AJ Pollock.

Two things come to mind:

1. The Dodgers have $95M coming off the books after 2021. They probably feel they can splurge this year and easily dip back below the luxury tax in 2022.

2. It is possible the Dodgers are feeling the heat from the Padres and decided they needed to send a message that they aren’t going anywhere.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

3. Build a dynasty during the 2020’s

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

When Freidman took over, his mandate was to get the player payroll down.

He took the job in 2015. In 2016, MLB TOLD the Dodgers to reduce payroll. More recently, it was to dip below the luxury tax.

So, I don’t necessarily think this is a “break” from his past. His first few years he had constraints. Now, he doesn’t.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well written article.

In a sport that rarely produces dynasties, the Los Angeles Dodgers are world-beaters. They are among Major League Baseball’s smartest teams, but also among the richest. Aggressive yet pragmatic. Decorated with star talent, but fortified by considerable depth. Their moves over this past half-decade have rarely been motivated by necessity, but more so by improving on the margins, or embracing opportunities, or, when the moment strikes, gluttony.

Andrew Friedman didn’t issue a single nine-figure contract in his first five years as the Dodgers’ president of baseball operations. After the 2019 season, with the payroll more manageable under baseball’s competitive balance tax, he made a strong-yet-unsuccessful push for Gerrit Cole and Anthony Rendon, then traded for Betts, signed him to a $365 million extension and watched him lead the Dodgers to a .712 winning percentage and their first title in 32 years.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So, I don’t necessarily think this is a “break” from his past. His first few years he had constraints. Now, he doesn’t.

Perhaps but perhaps not. He has had other opportunities in recent years to splurge in free agency but didn’t. It is hard to say with certainty if it is because of restraints or just his methods. He doesn’t live by the checkbook alone. They have a great farm system and Betts is still the only long term financial obligation they have.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Well the NL defiantly goes through LA and that is 4 pitchers that is going to be darn hard for anybody to beat in post season

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Dodgers tied one hand behind their back for a few years and now are ready to retake their place at the top of the sport’s spending rankings. I’d bet that they weren’t far off from the top even when “down” when you included what they spend on the front office, scouting and development, etc..

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 1,139 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years