Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 334 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Even with the moves lately, it feels like the stove is still cold. Hoping to at least see the Cards sign a utility infielder or something. What a dull off-season.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Profar off the table too…thanks for the link on Andreleton…seems he will get a a bigger deal..

It is a cold offseason… and i hate to be a conspiracy theorist BUT…if this is a business COVID has given all the owners every bit of excuse to NOT spend money and pay players… even with the vaccine rolling out and no doubt for fans eventual return this year if not the following for sure, long term spending for players should not be off the table…

Creative pay structuring multi year deals have been around for years so don’t tell me they can’t work out a deal that costs less during THIS year when COVID has “forced” the teams to spend less… The owners are just taking advantage of not paying out so they can either have LESS of a loss or MORE of a lesser gain…

The Padres and Jays and even Mets seem to be smart to take advantage of the greed of the of the other owners right now…they are investing in going big now and winning instead of trying desperately to spend less because they have an easy blame

There is NO reason the Cardinals should have signed or re-signed NO ONE yet… If they have such low expectations and aspirations for profits from the organization after this year that they can’t do anything because THIS year is so bad…then they need to sell it to someone who does believe in the organization beyond the short term problems…

It is sickening to see them drag their feet on bringing back Yadi and Waino…they arent asking for much in the grand scheme of the team…and if they are considering losing them or letting them retire and think no one will care…they are wrong and it will severely damage the image of the organization to the fans and the players…

The Cardinals have spent decades building their reputation as an organization that values its long term players and does things the right way…and not always with the bottom line being the impetus… building that back up will be impossible and no excuse of COVID will make the players believe the organization actually values them beyond their dollar figure…

It is pathetic that the club hasnt done anything…i don’t care if other organizations have done little…the Cardinals are supposed to be better than that…they are supposed to BELIEVE in baseball and believe in their position as a pillar of baseball in the MLB…An organization liek the Cardinals first dumping Wong who was a vet and came through the system…plus not signing Waino and Yadi (who were two of the best players we had last year)…is a BIG hit to our image and respect

Baseball will survive COVID and 2 yrs of down attendance across the board…and of all the clubs in the MLB that should be standing up for that confidence and strength of the game should be the Cardinals

Shame on them for taking advantage of a bad situation to lose a little less or gain a little more…i dont care if it is a business or not

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another infielder off the board.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Todd Frazier will probably still be available on the cheap in a month. Lol

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So this must be what it feels like to be an OAK A’s fan during the offseason.

Participant

Free

Jager:

Relax, it’s just baseball. In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t amount to much.

Surely, you didn’t think they were going to do anything this winter. Next winter could be different, hopefully.

It’s simple; you can’t add significant payroll with no gate receipts. If the DH comes to the NL they “might” pick up a cheap “average” hitter.

Don’t punish yourself. You spent all off-season formulating all kinds of fantastic acquisitions that would have helped the Cardinals in 2021 but they were NEVER going to do any of them. Two reasons: 1. They want to look at the talent they have and 2. No gate receipts.

Let’s get excited about 2022.

Take a break and play solitaire until spring training.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not that disappointed with the lack of additions this winter. I would probably have done the same thing considering the revenue uncertainty, already having too many albatross contracts, and the NLC being pitiful. What concerns me are the departures. Letting Wong go is a big problem to me and so will losing Waino if that happens. I figured we would at least stand pat and keep what we had.

Now if there are no big additions next winter then I will lead the mutiny.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Avatargscottar.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Avatargscottar.
    thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How about?
    Arenado (waive opt out) + Story
    for
    CMart + Carp (waives no-trade)+ Knizner + Gorman + Thompson + Bader + Oviedo + Thorres.

Is that enough? Arenado long term makes Gorman palatable, Story can leave, but we’d get a year to re-sign him. Cmart can be kept or cut loose, rotation option, Carp will be of the books and perhaps in that thin air his long flyouts become HRs, Knizner gives them a starting catcher, Bader covers that OF, Thompson and Oviedo provide higher end cheap rotation options, Thorres an upside OF bat.

That is a lot of future value and they clear a bunch of money (49.5), Cardinals clear about 32m) That’s + 17.5 for two MOTBs, then add in 2yrs of Yadi for 18m total (back load contract in agreement to the 2yr guaranteed deal, 5m 21 and 13m 22), and 1yr Waino (lower base 3m but higher and easier potential up to 10m). That adds 8m for Waino and Yadi for 21 + 17.5 for Story and Arenado total of 25.5m for 4 players. Move DeJong or Story to 2b.

Roll with:
    Carlson, Story, Arenado, Goldy, DeJong, Yadi, Fowler, Oneill
    Edman, FA-vet- C, Thomas, Sosa, Williams
    Jack, Mik, Waino, Kim, Reyes/Gomber
    Hicks, Gallegos, Miller, Webb, Gant, Helsley, Genesis, Ponce

bench isn’t great, but leaves room for additions or minor leaguers coming up
    lineup is a beast, no excuse for lac of power
    rotation and bullpen still a strength
    defense is better with Story and Arenado, less concern for OF bat production and gain benefit of defense
    Farm is definitely banged up…but we keep Libertore and Herrera, who seem more important, and the newest picks

Story can leave and we get compensation, or we invest in him
    Arenado and Goldy are MOTB presences
    Hudson returns for loss of Waino for 22, Kim loss mitigated with Gomber or Libertore
    Gorman is a big chip to lose from future batting BUT Arenado’s bat isnt going anywhere nor is Gorman guaranteed to be ever as good as his..even if it drags a bit

Participant

Free

Jager:

You’ve done it again. I bet Mo is on the phone right now to Colorado, with Junior on the extension, and they are just working out the fine details. I’m going out tomorrow to get my Arenado Jersey. Yes! Yes! Yes!

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nate
    Stop being condescending

It’s ugly behavior

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

He got paid!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is not coincidence.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good for Realmuto. He’s a heck of a ballplayer and probably the best catcher since prime Yadi and Posey.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

So now that his market has been set. Yadi can quickly sign.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Lots of infielder names out there, but Wong hasn’t been prominent.

Participant

Free

Comparing spending in the NL Central to the other divisions is staggering and revealing. Wow!

Participant

Paid - Annual

The NLC is a joke.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

man…several decent targets with seemingly low price tags off the board

Cesar Hernandez
    La Stella
    even Simmons on a 1yr 10.5 would have been helpful

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The ALC is currently a bigger joke by ~62mil, in total salaries committed to 2021.

I expect MIN to spend more, but overall I expect the NLC to outspend the ALC between now and opening day.

Participant

Free

Jager:

How am I condescending? Maybe Mo is trying to make a last minute deal fro Arenado. We don’t know. Come on, where’s your confidence in the Front Office? You need to lighten up…it’s just baseball. It has little meaning in this world.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

JJ

You really think the NLC will spent 121 million between now and opening day?

How? Who?

I mean the Reds have said they want a SS and Didi seems their target which might be some.

But who else is even looking at adding? I think MIL might add something but probably nothing big.

Even if the cards add Waino and YAdi for let’s say 20m total. And add something lesser for 7m. That still isn’t much.

Stl maybe 30 more
    MIl let’s say 20
    CHI 10?
    PIT maybe 5
    CIN let’s say 25

That’s only 90. 31 under still.

And that assumes the ALC doesn’t spend anymore.

I just haven’t seen any indication from any of the NLC that anyone is looking for bigger additions.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

jager, the offseason spending amounts is not the best indicator of who is tanking, and who is not. The ALC has about 62mil less committed to next season, than the NLC. That would rank as the 4th highest payroll in either division.

So which division is really tanking?

This offseason the CHW look like their all in right? Well, they have less committed to 2021 than we do.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 334 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years