Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 334 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One would have to assume Hand would be getting a lower AAV than it would have cost to pick him up off waivers, which was $10.5M.

January really is the new December, eh?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Probably, though was the new Mets front office already in place when Hand went on waivers? Another possible consideration is any difference in their 40-man situation then (pre-Rule 5) vs. now, but that is just a guess.

For some teams, it is the new December. For those in the NL Central, not so much…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sort of reminds me of the Matt Holliday situation in the winter of 2009-2010. He got seven years, $120 MM after coming to terms in January.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder what the compensation will be like for 2021? MLBTR projected him at 4 years and $68M, so he got more years but $2M less AAV.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Word is that the Yankees wanted more years to lessen the annual cap impact.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Six years for a 32 year old player? Yikes!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

But at an AAV lower than the qualifying offer. And he isn’t just any player. He was third in the 2020 MVP voting.

I have a strong feeling the Union isn’t going to like this deal…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A couple of interesting perspectives.

The Jays bid him up, which I love. They made their top opponent pay up. It also suggests to me that Toronto could pivot to Wong.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I guess Mo was really playing 4D chess all those years by bidding up the guys who signed elsewhere. In your face, Theo and Dombrowski!!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Like mentioned before I guess the Yankees are serious about staying under the luxury tax. That Stanton contract isn’t looking so good right now.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kluber to the Yankees.

Participant

Free

stl

You’re right. Mo’s brilliance prevented the Cubs in 16 and the Red Sox in 18 from winning the WS. Great job you have created a dynasty.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

San Diego gets Musgrove from the Pirates. They are ALL in.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Padres are having a monster offseason. And they STILL have a highly rated farm system!

I wonder if Friedman and the Dodgers will make any counter moves. They haven’t done much of anything yet this winter except a couple of middling bullpen pieces. They are also up against the luxury tax.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Blue Jays sign Springer as well. Nice move for them as I read they have very little committed for 2022 and beyond.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Also, Jose Quintana to the Angels for 1 year, $8M.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/01/angels-to-sign-jose-quintana.html

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Jays are signing Brantley too. Unfortunately, they have terrible pitching that hasn’t been upgraded by their offensive moves (signing Yates and Chatwood may slightly help the pen, but they are risks).

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nevermind….Brantley is going back to Houston for 2 years and $32M. Same terms as his last deal with Houston.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/01/astros-to-re-sign-michael-brantley.html

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hazel was reminded first-hand that the rumor business is only as dependable as your sources. 😉

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder about looking at Adrelton Simmons. He might be looking at a 1yr contract to build his value back up, and didn’t look half bad and was trending up with the bat.

It moves DeJong off SS, but his defense only helps us with run prevention. He is only 31 and as a bridge to Gorman in the infield as well as helping the infield depth (by moving DeJong to 2b or 3b) it might be nice.

It’s just a thought off the top of my head.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 334 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years