Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021

Viewing 25 posts - 476 through 500 (of 531 total)
  • Author
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Of the position-wise roster you spelled out lacardfan, seems Edman would be the 4th OF’r.

Only thing unsettled would be Yadi.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

LOL. My bad.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nah, not that I saw. Yadi is a question mark for next season and you had 13 if we count him.

Even Edman as a 4th OF will play nearly everyday if Gorman is at 2B, and Edman makes a good safety net there. Pretty sure our 4th outfielders would rank 2nd in OF PA’s behind Carlson this season. That’s a significant role.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not convinced Gorman will start the season in St. Louis. He hasn’t quite mastered AAA yet. I could see him being called up in May or June.

Yepez is a good call. I like him alot although if they are going to go with only internals their payroll will be abnormally low. I would look for an outside acquisition or two.

When I mentioned getting a 4th OF I really didn’t have Edman in mind. I would like to see them get a true OF with great defense and power and the capability to play everyday if one of the regular starters goes on the IL.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brewers placer Hader on the Covid list, 10day minimum.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Shildt starting Gorman over Edman will require some serious heroics from Gorman.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

f they are going to go with only internals their payroll will be abnormally low. I would look for an outside acquisition or two.

I think payroll is going to be lowered because they have to forecast based on the pandemic and vaccination rates. If they stick to basing payroll on attendance, it will be lower.

The only outside acquisitions I see them doing are pitchers. One starting pitcher, 1-2 relievers.

If Gorman’s not ready to start the season, they will start with Edman at 2B and probably Robertson on the bench. When Gorman is ready, Robertson will likely get optioned.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I don’t expect or hope Gorman is up until May, wait till he gets hot and then call him up….

Kyle Schwarber might be expensive, but the DH/4th OFer spot and being LH might be a great fit along with Seager….

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Schwarber is who I had in mind for the DH spot also.

I would stay away from Seager. He is a great player but is constantly on the IL it seems.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

For 4th OF/left-handed bench bats it seems we will have at least four of our own players contending for that job:
    – Lars Nootbaar
    – Justin Williams
    – Conner Capel
    – Alec Burleson

Williams will be out of options, so he is going to need a monster spring training or he will be traded.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder what Walt Jocketty would do to make this team competitive this off-season?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So I have been thinking and working on my spreadsheet for the team this coming off-season. Channeling my inner Jager in thinking about what the team *could* do in the 2021-22 off-season, I wanted to put together a roster and figure out what positions are even possible to upgrade.

C-Yadi, next question. We know his salary ($10M)
    1B-Goldy is locked in. He’s even been locked in at the plate next year. ($26M)
    2B-Possible upgrade, Edman is there for now. ($0.6M)
    SS-Dejong is here, with Sosa as well. Still a possible upgrade. ($6.7M)
    3B-Arenado is playing well, but we know it usually takes a year for RH hitters to click in St Louis at Busch III. ($23.4M is what the Cards will pay him next year)
    OF-O’Neill has been very good, Bader up and down and Carlson steady. Nootbar has had a nice start and looks to be a 4th OF type. Still it feels like an upgrade is possible. ($7.6M est salary for the four)

SP-Lots of questions. Flaherty is an ace. Mikolas and Hudson have injury concerns. Waino and Kim are FA. Reyes may be in the rotation plans The farm has potential but hasn’t produced yet. Definitely an upgrade possiblity. ($30.25M est salary sans Waino and Kim)

RP-Feels like this would sort itself out if the starters could be sorted out. ($7.2M est salary)

Added up, we have an estimated $111.8M payroll for next year, with possibilities to upgrade the OF, middle infield and starting pitching. So what do I propose?

First, free Nolan Gorman. Yes, he will struggle a bit but he always does that. No doubt the naysayers will crow when he has a .500 OPS in April and then be eating that crow when he’s above average overall by the end of the year. He should be the long side of the platoon with Edman at 2B, and combined I would bet on that combo having an .800 OPS by season’s end.

Second, look to trade Dejong and Mikolas. Dejong has value, no matter what some may think. A team like Seattle would be an excellent candidate as they may not be looking to sign a big name FA and Dejong would be an attractive candidate. Perhaps we can pick up a relief arm for him, or just a prospect or two. That saves $6.1M next year. Mikolas would be a pure salary dump. I’m hoping he can pitch well enough that someone would pay $5M for each of the next two years for an innings eating #4/5 starter. That’s the best case but let’s say it works. We have lowered our effective salary to $100.7M, which would be about $112.3M for luxury tax purposes.

Next, resign Waino and Kim. I’d project Waino for a $10M salary next year and Kim at $6M. We are now up to $116.7M ($128.3M) for 2022. Still lots of room to work.

Now, I’m looking to upgrade the rotation further now that I’ve got depth. I was on this guy last year and still will be this year as once he got out of Arizona, he was bound to improve. Robbie Ray is my man this winter. He probably won’t get what Corbin got a couple years back but he will command a good contract. Still, 5 years and $110M might be fair and I’d probably do it. He’s still fairly young at 29. Our payroll is now at $138.7M ($150.3M) for 2022.

I believe there are a couple of potential options for upgrading the lineup. First, we could go bigger in the OF with a Conforto or Schwarber, leaving Sosa to split time with Edman at SS. Or we could go big at SS and make a smaller move in the OF. Personally I think it depends on what Conforto is willing to stomach. If he’s willing to take a pillow deal, I don’t know if I’d be able to pass. All of the Mets have faltered this year so it’s not like he’s just slumping with no hope. He’s been very good almost his whole career.

Still, he’s probably going to want big years and money so unless that happens, I probably default back to Seager. He might be a little injury prone, but he’s a proven performer and would stabilize the SS position far beyond what Dejong has done. What will he get this year? I think the market will be a little less robust than previous for the top SS, so maybe 7 years and $200M? I’d do it. So now we have $167.3M committed to 2022.

Finally, we need a DH type. It’s going to happen next year, I believe. Juan Yepez is my guy. I thought about Joc Pederson and he’d be nice but “Pez” has pummeled RHP his whole career. Gorman will probably get some PA here as well.

On another note, the Cards would probably like to have another starter available in case of injury. Maybe they can swing a 1 year deal on Leblanc, Happ or Lester. It would be a minimal deal and the salary load would still be manageable. Plus…Libby is likely to be ready next year at a minimum.

Lineup

SS Seager
    1B Goldy
    3B Arenado
    LF O’Neill
    RF Carlson
    DH Yepez
    2B Gorman/Edman
    C Yadi
    CF Bader

Bench Edman, Sosa, Nootbar, Knizner

Rotation

Flaherty
    Ray
    Hudson
    Waino
    Kim
    (Libby, Oviedo, Rondon, Woodford, Thompson in Memphis)

Bullpen-Reyes, Hicks, Gallegos, Cabrera, McFarland, Helsley, Leblanc, Whitley

This is a good enough team to challenge for a title, IMO. Would need a little injury luck, but we’ve been decimated for 2 years straight so we’re due, right?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nice post, 25. A lot to consider.

My first take is that the proposed bench is about as weak as in 2021 and the lineup is only slightly better. If I don’t sign an experienced OF starter, I would certainly get an experienced MLB bat to DH (and be a strong fourth OF) rather than depend on a rookie like Yepez. They would already be starting one rookie in Gorman, who you acknowledge could take his lumps early.

They have to get more run production in 2022. Seager and two rookies would not inspire my confidence that we wouldn’t see more of the same boring offense – or worse.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like the idea of trading DeJong and Mikolas. Would definitely have to eat some money on Mikolas as you suggested.

I would add Bader to the trade list. I hate to lose his defense but I don’t think he is ever going to be a consistent performer with the bat. In fact I think the perfect place to trade DeJong and Bader would be to Colorado, assuming they will still do business with us. There is no way Trevor Story will sign there so they could use DeJong as a cheaper replacement and Bader’s defense would be perfect for their big outfield. If they are looking to move salary we could take Charlie Blackmon back in return. He probably has another decent year or two left in him.

I just don’t think the Cardinals will want to spend big this winter but if they did want to upgrade at SS I would probably go after Story. With Arenando, Story, and Blackmon we would become Denver East. I am just not a big fan of Seager. Good player but I am tired of dealing with injured players.

Schwarber would be nice at DH but I think the Cards will go cheap. Yepez/Gorman sounds likely, although if they are wanting to sell more tickets you can’t rule out a one year reunion with Pujols. He could ride out into the sunset with Yadi and Waino. Pujols has actually been pretty decent with the Dodgers.

As for the rotation, Scherzer would be great but I don’t think the Cardinals will win that spending battle. Assuming Mikolas is traded we will probably go with Flaherty, Waino, Hudson, Reyes and then bring back Kim, Happ, and LeBLanc. I would like to see Liberatore, Woodford, Oviedo, Rondon, and Thompson stay in Memphis as long as possible.

Hopefully the Cardinals have learned their lesson not to spend big on bullpen pieces. It never works for us. Gregerson, Cecil, Holland, and Miller were all wasted money. We need to hope Hicks is healthy to go along with Gallegos, Cabrera, McFarland, Garcia, and others.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good point on the pen. My take is that rather than spend a lot on a few, bring in a bunch of McFarland, Garcia scrap heap guys BEFORE spring training and figure out who can help during the season.

This year, they screwed themselves by not signing veteran free agents and assuming standing pat in the pen with the in-house pitchers would be good enough. I don’t know if it was money issues or a miscalculation, but it really doesn’t matter. The only thing that does is what they do this winter to try to improve the team.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To the lack of offense point, look at this graph. The 2021 Cardinals are the worst in MLB in scoring in innings 7-8-9. So when the pen hiccups, the offense does nothing to respond. Very telling.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice post, 25. A lot to consider.

My first take is that the proposed bench is about as weak as in 2021 and the lineup is only slightly better. If I don’t sign an experienced OF starter, I would certainly get an experienced MLB bat to DH (and be a strong fourth OF) rather than depend on a rookie like Yepez. They would already be starting one rookie in Gorman, who you acknowledge could take his lumps early.

They have to get more run production in 2022. Seager and two rookies would not inspire my confidence that we wouldn’t see more of the same boring offense – or worse.

I get that and I would not be totally opposed to signing a Brad Miller/Joc Pederson type to be the extra OFer/DH. But here’s the thing…I’m just fairly convinced that Yepez is gonna overtake whomever we sign by the end of the year anyway. The bat looks that good. Nothing about his AAA performance looks accidental.

I agree that fans may not see that as a huge upgrade. However, here’s the batting order by career OPS vs what the Cards would have in each slot next year:

1-(.750) Seager career .855
    2-(.800) Goldy career .906
    3-(.747) Arenado career .881
    4-(.780) O’Neill career .776
    5-(.662) Carlson career .735
    6-(.712) Yepez rookie
    7-(.747) Edman career .752/Gorman rookie
    8-(.667) Yadi career .733 (I know he won’t get to this)
    9-(.440) Bader career .717

So I don’t think it’s fair to compare Bader to the pitchers, but it wouldn’t be a big surprise if every lineup position outperformed 2021’s numbers. Seager makes the leadoff spot an instant upgrade. Goldy is a good bet to best .800 OPS again. Arenado will likely improve from 2021 in the 2nd year bump. O’Neill has the power to replicate his 2021. Carlson hasn’t looked great this year but he’s still so young that you wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him take a nice step forward. The Yepez/DH spot has potential, and I think will be fine. Edman has a career .830 OPS against LHP and I could see Gorman being near .800 against RHP next year by the season’s end. Then there’s Yadi, who probably will be around that .667 mark.

Anyway, it may not look it but with Seager, a slight year 2 bump from Arenado and Carlson taking a step forward from his 105 OPS+ to more like 120…and the offense looks pretty good. None of those are unlikely. At least IMHO.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would add Bader to the trade list.

If we could add a thumper to a corner spot, I would not mind moving O’Neill to CF and trading Bader, either. O’Neill would be a step back because of the reads, most likely…but he’s just as fast as Bader and may have a better arm so the defense shouldn’t suffer much.

I am just not a big fan of Seager. Good player but I am tired of dealing with injured players.

I get that and the balky back is a concern, but the other injuries aren’t as worrisome to me. A position player having Tommy John is rare, but really shouldn’t need fixed again. This year he was hit by a pitch which is a freak thing that you can’t really blame a guy for. Still, he just produces and he’s a much needed lefty for the lineup.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe Seager is just unlucky when it comes to injuries. Some guys are snakebit. Whatever it is if I am going to spend $200M on a position player I want to have a high comfort level of him playing 150 games. That isn’t him.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

The bench is a little better than 2021 since those guys weren’t the initially on the bench (Nootbarr, Gorman/Edman) as Edman was the starter. But if Nootbarr struggles like Williams and Thomas, it gets mighty weak. Plus you’ve completed depleted all potential above average options that could get called up for injury by adding Yepez and Gorman.

Personally, I’d rather get Schwarber than Seager. I think he fills a bigger need in the lineup and as an OF/DH. Edman, Sosa, and Dejong would be fine in the infield with Gorman in AAA reserve. Then I think adding another bench bat makes sense so that Yepez and Gorman can start the year in the minors, assuming no injuries. Also, I wouldn’t mind them adding someone like Yan Gomes on a two year deal to backup Yadi this year and platoon in 2023 with Herrera or Knizner (would he have another option year if needed in 2022?)

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

25 “inner Jager” eh? Definitely good impression! Well done!

I actually like your propositions…pretty close to my thoughts, though i am a fan of a DH to bring in instead of depending on BOTH Gorman and Yepez. Also Ray is a solid choice

And i like Pujols for this. He will be cheap, he still hits lefties. And just the ability for Gorman and the others to be around him and learn is worth his diminished defense. He has already proved he will play off the bench with LAD, and that is the role we hope he will be by the end of the year as I would hope Gorman or Yepez or Baker could be ready.

If not going for Pujols, I want a true starting caliber hitting OFer. My choice, is (for another year) Mitch Haniger. solid, a bit too old to demand huge huge money if we extended (would be in the last year of his contract i believe). I like Nootbaar, but i am not heading into next year with hopes and dreams to fix the offense as we have done the last couple years. Haniger is far more solid.

-Seager
    -Ray
    -Waino
    -Yadi
    -Kim
    -Pujols signing or Haniger trade (lets say Haniger as the cost would be in prospects, not money so that is probably the big thing for the FO if we are looking at Ray and Seager and Kim and Waino and Yadi)

I’m still not exactly sure how we fit Ray into the rotation when Reyes to the rotation seems a given, but i like not having to put him there OR Libertore. Waino retiring next year seems a given so a spot opening for 23 makes for a natural transition

Edman
    Seager
    Goldy
    Arenado
    Oneill
    Haniger (DH…but rotate it)
    Carlson
    Yadi
    Bader
    -Knizner, Nootbaar, Sosa, Gorman/Yepez
    Jack, Ray, Hud, Mik, Waino…Libertore
    Gallegos, Reyes, Genesis, Hicks, McFarland, Garcia, Ponce, Kim

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Personally, I’d rather get Schwarber than Seager. I think he fills a bigger need in the lineup and as an OF/DH. Edman, Sosa, and Dejong would be fine in the infield with Gorman in AAA reserve. Then I think adding another bench bat makes sense so that Yepez and Gorman can start the year in the minors, assuming no injuries. Also, I wouldn’t mind them adding someone like Yan Gomes on a two year deal to backup Yadi this year and platoon in 2023 with Herrera or Knizner (would he have another option year if needed in 2022?)

Pads, I get this take from some. I think Schwarber is not really a good OF and will get an inflated contract due to his 2021. I’d go for Conforto if we are aiming for an OFer.

That said, I don’t agree that SS is fine without an upgrade. Dejong is getting worse by the year and we’ve seen enough one year wonders to know that Sosa will likely be overexposed before long. I really like Edman as a super sub/platoon with Gorman at 2B. I think SS just makes a ton of sense to upgrade and we need a lefty bat. Trading Dejong and signing Seager would be my move. I understand that not everyone thinks that’s a good idea though.

As for Gorman and Yepez, other than to manipulate service time, I’m not sure we have seen anything that says they need a ton of seasoning at Memphis next year. If they are hitting in spring training, let them play. We’ve wasted a lot of quality bats the last 5 years with the approach of leaving them in the minors.

Finally, I don’t mind that idea for catcher. It could be a really good one, in fact.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is the best chance to upgrade at shortstop with Story, Baez, Correa, Seager available and big salary players coming off the books.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

SS is the glaring spot where we could use an impact player. A difference maker with bat as well as glove I mean.

But if we go cheap this winter, going with Sosa rather than PDJ next year at least gets rid of one .200 hitter in the everyday lineup. We will not be starting the season with Carp in there everyday like this year, so that is another .200 hitter out of the lineup. Even if Bader is still the everyday CF, we will have one rather than a heard of #8 hitters in there like we did a good part of this year. That alone is improvement.

If we can add to that an experienced professional hitter to DH, it would make for a significantly improved lineup starting the season. Lack of OBP at the top would remain as an issue though. But the point is even if we go cheap we can still improve.

edit: By experienced professional hitter I mean not a one dimensional true outcome poster boy whose optimized swing is his only swing. A hitter who can adapt to the situation and improve his chance of doing what is needed at the moment.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards need to add two hitters with .350 OBP or better to the everyday lineup. IMO, the most likely spots to change out are 2b, SS, OF or DH (assuming the DH will be approved for the NL next season).

The team defense has been very good when everyone is healthy. I am just not sure the Redbirds can afford to continue fill out a line up cards that includes three starting positions with strong defenders that are inconsistent offensively.

Edmund has proven himself as a good supersub. I am not sure he provides enough offense to be an everyday second baseman or outfielder. The club should explore potential upgrade possibilities at second base.

PDJ has played himself out of the starting line up. Sosa has filled in admirably. The club will need to prioritize spending for offense versus pitching. It will be interesting to see if they pursue a shortstop or stick with Sosa with PDJ off the bench (as I fear there may not be too many takers).

Bader is a great defender. However, his offensive inconsistency drives me nuts. He may a luxury the club can no longer afford if they are serious about a division title. I could live with moving Carlson center if they could get a good bat to play a corner outfield spot.

I would stay away from Schwarber as DH. He is a career .240 hitter with a .340 OBP. I believe 32%+ of his at bats have resulted in strike outs. I know he hits homers, but I want to see someone who puts the ball in play as well as get on base.

I would not count on any of the minor leaguers sticking with the big league club out of spring training. Maybe we will see some during the second half of next season.

Viewing 25 posts - 476 through 500 (of 531 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years