Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 354 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think you are correct on both jager. Both would be a fit for us but I want to make sure we save room to make a move in July.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think room usually finds its way due to injury or poor play

We are still sitting at 39 right now and i dont think we have added Hudson to the 60day yet

As much as Santana would be worth a shot, there are a lot of guys out there still that are at least worth a minor league deal, and i can’t imagine they want to sit for the year

nevertheless, Odorizzi has a spot open for him right now….and his signing would make our rotation so much stronger…not to mention it would undoubtedly help the bullpen too

Maybe they are waiting on tonight with CMArt and Mikolas sim game/side session…not that one game is the end all be all, but if they look bad or arent healthy…it definitely puts us in a bind for a dependable rotation

Jack looked off…but there is no doubt he starts day 1
    Waino looked like Waino…he’s in
    Kim looked off…and he proved he can be valuable in the pen
    Gant looked good but is he truly an option for the rotation? showed great value in the pen
    Cmart?
    Mik?

I’d prefer stability of Odorizzi and more pitching is never a bad thing…even a 3 yr deal would be ok as long as the per year wasnt stupid…no guarantee on Cmart back, or Kim, probably not Waino, can’t even be sure on Hudson. I’d prefer an Ace but Odorizzi is solid

——–
    Jack
    Odorizzi
    Waino
    Mik
    Kim/CMart

Jack
    Odorizzi
    Mik
    Hudson
    Libertore/Thompson

Take out Odorizzi from either and it gets a lot more murky

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think room usually finds its way due to injury or poor play

I meant room financially. We need to keep payroll space available to make a move for down the stretch. In recent years Mo has stood pat at the deadline but maybe this is the year we make a move.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

I think they will go with the kids for pithcing just like the outfield. I don’t see them adding Odirizzi or anyone else. If Martinez or Mikolas can’t cut it because of health or poor performance they have DeLeon, Gant, Helsey, Reyes, Cabrarra, etc. They’ll us those and I’d be surprised if they make any humdinger move at the deadline. The rotation and the bullpen are somewhere on the current roster.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Don’t like deadline deals. Usually you have to overpay in talent while now there were good players available without depleting the farm.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Santana was a minor league deal.

Are we that confident that we can’t afford a minor league deal to a guy who was legit before his injury last year. And can play multiple positions.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Agree. I thought Santana would have been excellent protection in case young hitters never come around or in case of injuries.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To be honest I’d be offering up minor league deals all over the place right now.

Cespedes
    Bonafacio
    Gyorko
    Sean Rodriguez
    MOrrison
    Cozart
    Descalso
    Reddick
    Puig

Hamels
    Leake
    Samardjza
    Sanchez
    Cahill
    Godley

Some of these guys i don’t think are ready to be done, and with the unknowns in our OF, 2b, and Rotation there are some real opportunities if you perform

Not to mention that the Taxi squad and undoubted COVID cases will make any player outside of the 40mans very valuable to many teams, so even if you take a minor league deal and stay ready with one club doesn’t mean you would stay with them the whole year as people get shifted on and off 40mans to get through the season

I am not saying every remaining FA will take a minor league deal, but i’d have to imagine a few will

MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

I read an article from the herald-tribune (still don’t know where it’s from) from last August interviewing Scooter Gennett. He is working his own farm now but didn’t rule out a return to baseball. That’s one guy I wouldn’t mind the cards inviting to camp next year when Carp is finally off the roster.

grayssportsalmanaccgrayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

carp def blocking alot of people with his pricetag, but id love the see cozart at 2b…perkins what happened to the old avatar?

MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

Better, Gray? Not exact image but close

MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

But where is YOUR image of that kid/guy who I always thought kind of looked like Michael J Fox with his copy of the almanac?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lindor is off the market for this coming offseason. The good news is that will make Conforto harder to fit into the budget, and if he does, Nimmo may be on the block.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Conforto would be perfect for the Cardinals. If I could make a wish list for the the next offseason it would be:

1. New CBA without a work stoppage.
    2. Cards sign Conforto.
    3. Cards sign Scherzer.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I second that motion gs

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m starting to think that signing a good starter would be a smart play too, gscottar. Scherzer might be a fine choice, as well.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Puig is still unemployed, tainted though he may be.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

team needs a bat and an arm

I like a Scherzer trade on the sooner side if the Nats will listen

As for a bat…tough call, to me it comes down to contact over HRs etc. If the guy is a bit older doesn’t bother me as long as the contract is short enough and the price low enough

ala

David Peralta
    Whit Merrifeld

If we want to go biggest long term upside, but is a swing and miss darling….well:

Joey Gallo

If we want a free agent at the end of the year and not worry longer term

Starling Marte

-I prefer the versatility, contact, speed, enough power and leadoff skills of Merrifield, but he is probably the most expensive in terms of what it will take to get him

-Peralta’s bat has just enough pop and he makes good contact and plays well in the OF still, seems available and ARZ has a big hill to climb to get out of that division

-Gallo is a great OFer big arm, and loads of power, and strikeouts, but enough walks, and he is young. Probably will take a bit more to get him though…but i haev to imagine a young good SP and more might be enough

-Marte, makes contact, good power, still can play OF well, still has speed. Nice versatile hitter who
    will not hurt us in the OF or where we hit him. Expensive contract but we’d only pay prorated and maybe could get a deal on that depending on our prospects going the other way… MIA knows our players from being so close in ST.

-Scherzer….not sure what it takes to get him, but he is what we lack and even prorated his salary after a trade will be hefty…if WAS wants to save some money the sooner they deal the better

Scherzer plus Marte let’s us compete now and gives us something to think about in the offseason about bringing them back

Peralta or Merrifield are a 2-3yr cost effective solution

Gallo is an investment, and you take the .200 average if you get those 40 HRs and good defense. gmable, but big upside

Only other guy i’d throw out for giggles is Haniger form the M’s. He has missed time with freak injuries, but was a solid player before and if healthy is still probably solid. He was older when he came up so he is already older. I wonder if he is available as they make room for Kellenic and Rodriguez

Regardless, it will cost youth to get these fixes, but to take max worth out of the Goldy and Arenado deals we have to win NOW

We can afford to lose some youth pitching IMO as we create it pretty consistently. Creating Ace’s is tougher as we seem better at 2-3 types and 5-6 types.

It’s a big ask to bring in two major contributors, but it is what the team lacks, and we knew it coming in.

Scherzer is a rental, which paves the way for a future deal. Marte could be the same Or if yo uwant more value for your youth lost, then the limited but high value of Peralta or Merrifield shoudl give you at least 2 years of solid production at discount pricing. If you want Bader’s average and glove, but with 40HR’s for a few years well Gallo is your man.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Jager, I was thinking of offseason moves. I don’t think Conforto or Scherzer would be available during the season unless the Mets and Nats collapse.

As for in-season moves then yes I agree guys like Gallo, Peralta, and Marte should be available because those three teams probably aren’t contenders. Not sure what pitchers would be available in-season.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You are probably right about in-season for Scherzer or Conforto…though i do think saving SOME money for the Nats is a real thing and perhaps they move him earlier just to save some money. It’s a tough call because he is gone after the season for him, they undoubtedly get a compensation pick, but i think they’d want to capitalize on him in season for a trade even in a chance for the playoffs for them. As long as Stras is healthy IMO.

Conforto is similar, but i think they might re-sign him

As for in-season batters…the ones i listed are my options which i think are all MAJOR upgrades to the offense

As for pitchers, it’s always tougher… but i think you look to COL and German Marquez, i like Matt Boyd and DET is still building, maybe Quintana or Heaney from LAA

but there really isnt a Scherzer type available IMO, unless we look at the Reds and with them being in the division I don’t see it happening…Gray or Castillo would be great fits IMO….

Maybe inquire on Montas from OAK?

Participant

Free

Any idea or media stories regarding how Arenado feels about Story or Blackmon? Pretty obvious of my thinking on that..

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would be all for both or either of them, Blackmon is a bit too old for a long term fix, but so what at this point?

Story is a rental, but maybe we could get him to sign?

Maybe if we move DeJong in another deal it would free up a little money?

At this point, I am all for changes.

Bring in Story for a big prospect, and commit the money to re-signing him. Or just hope you can win it with him here.

Personally, I’d be all over whatever is available in the FA market.

-Puig…so what if he is a hothead…if he can still hit .200 with 20 HRs sign him up

-Porcello or Samardjia just for something stabilizing

-Sean Rodriguez, super utility, always seemed to be a Cardinal killer

Point is…bring them in and see if they work, we can’t offer big money, but we CAN offer opportunity…not every team can say that

Minor league deals, maybe with appearance bonuses, and give them a shot. IF they fail, then we are right back where we were.

Puig and Porcello could walk into Starting roles as soon as they show they are fit, if they do well, they’d be basically guaranteeing future money. If they fail, they lose another year of work and become forgotten quicker

I think both want to play more, we can give them that chance. And if they do well, the Cardinals are wlel known for rewarding that

Participant

Paid - Annual

Reddick is off the board.

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 354 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years