Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 479 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Padres have to try to find a way to keep up with the Padres. Plus you know the Giants will eventually be back. It’s a deal that will either look really smart or really dumb, in all likelihood.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And still 56mil under the LAD CB tax total. Tough neighborhood to compete in.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Sorry mspaid, I was added the three I listed with Machado and Tatis from the post above mine.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That is more money than I thought Walker would get. Since the end of 2017 he has thrown 67 innings, kind of like Alex Reyes.

I figured the Mets would go after Odorizzi after they lost out on Bauer.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s some commitment. It’s also sort of forced when you are in a division with a juggernaut free spender like the Dodgers.

Hopefully in a couple of years, teams will be talking about trying to take down the juggernaut Cardinals in the NL Central. 😁

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Padres have been building this for awhile. They probably had targeted this offseason to go big regardless of what their intra-division competition was doing.

Spending smart and having a complete organization is more important than total dollars spent. The last few years we have seen the small market Rays and A’s win and go to the playoffs while the large market Angels, Phillies, Mets, and Giants haven’t done jack. The large market Yankees haven’t won a title since 2009. The Red Sox and Cubs are just yo yo teams. They can go from the penthouse to the outhouse very quickly.

To build a sustainable winner requires smart spending and a commitment to a farm system. The Dodgers, Cardinals, and Braves are in that category. The Padres have a good farm system too but they still haven’t proven they can be a sustainable winner. Time will tell.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

The last few years we have seen the small market Rays and A’s win and go to the playoffs while the large market Angels, Phillies, Mets, and Giants haven’t done jack.

Neither the Rays nor the A’s are in “small” markets. The A’s are in the 5th largest metro area (6th in TV), the Rays are in the 18th (12th in TV). For reference, St. Louis is 20th (23rd).

These are teams that claim to be small market so they can receive competitive balance funds and their owners don’t have to invest in their teams.

People need to stop supporting corporate welfare for billionaires.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The A’s and Ray’s are both in dilapidated stadiums and draw worse than some AAA teams. They may be in “large” markets but they are both small revenue teams. Defining market size by the size of a city is erroneous in my opinion. San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the US by population yet they have a AA baseball team. The name of the game is revenue.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

People need to stop supporting corporate welfare for billionaires.

I do agree with this part which is why it amuses me when people rant about “spending other people’s money” (MOTO). The owners are notorious for spending other people’s money.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

I’m not so sure the Rays could draw if you transported Camden yards to Tampa, Florida is a bad market for baseball

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not so sure the Rays could draw if you transported Camden yards to Tampa, Florida is a bad market for baseball

I agree. Having MLB teams in Florida has been a failure IMO. The Marlins have two WS championships and the Rays have two WS appearances yet neither has any fan base to speak of. Arizona isn’t much better. It is hard to develop a fan base when everyone who lives there is from somewhere else.

As for the A’s it is almost impossible to build in Oakland because of the bureaucracy. The Giants dominate that market anyway. I don’t think new baseball stadiums will built in Oakland or Tampa. The A’s should follow the Raiders to Las Vegas while the Rays should migrate to Montreal or Nashville.

mspaid
    Participant

Free

Okay, the Arenado trade was a very good move. But you can’t stop there. We need more offense and here’s how to get it.

Flaherty, Cabrarra and De Jong for Tatis Jr. Make the deal junior and if either Carlson, O’Neill or Thomas come out big then we’ll have an offense.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

No way the Padres even think about taking that…..

mspaid
    Participant

Free

I thought I might be light on our end but I wanted to start low. They can have O’Neill too.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The only time “my quantity” for “their quality” trades work in the real world is when the other team is motivated to move their star player. Dream on, but it ain’t happening with Tatis.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sadly, the Cards missed their chance to get Tatis Jr when they passed on signing him after he worked out for them a number of times and it sounds like he hoped St Louis would go for him.

Anyway, even with his huge deal, Tatis is projected for $269M of surplus value, which is insane. So you’d be looking at something like Flaherty, Carlson, Liberatore, Gorman, Goldschmidt while eating all of his contract (all of this adds to +$267M), plus maybe taking Hosmer or Myers from San Diego…to even get in the ballpark. In other words, it isn’t happening.

mspaid
    Participant

Free

Okay: Flaherty, DeJong, Carlson, Gorman and Cabrerra.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That gets you about 2/3 of the way there. Now add Goldy and pay his entire salary, and you may need to add more to account for the Padres trading their new franchise icon. Remember, Tatis now has a no trade clause too, which he may not want to waive to go to a team that just gutted their near term future to acquire him.

mspaid
    Participant

Free

I’m going to throw in Helsey and I think they’ll be ready for the plucking. Mo, has no doubt read my proposal and he’s on the phone to San Diego making a pitch for my deal. Junior will have to offer a twelve year deal at 38 million a year and if he does then we’ll be ready to play with the big boys.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Patience. This trade is three years away. Tatis will cost much less in return and DeLong will cost much more so it begins to make sense

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why would you trade away half of your team for a SS when guys like Lindor, Baez, Story, and Correa could be free agents next winter? And do we need an upgrade at SS? If the Cards go for a big offensive upgrade at the deadline or next winter it will probably be in the OF.

mspaid
    Participant

Free

Simple g:

I want Tatis the superstar. As for DeJong I’m not a big fan. He’s pedestrian at best. And Yes, after we get Tatis we need to go after another big star for the outfield. We have two big stars…we need four, then fill in with minimum wage guys.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Odorizzi seems a smart buy at this point, i am not sure his asking price of course, but i doubt he wants to sit much longer into ST. And while we have many options, don’t they say you cant have TOO much pitching? Well, then go for it.

A late snag of Odorizzi and maybe take a flier on Danny Santana who might provide some low cost potential impact with the bat for a year

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 479 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years