Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 354 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

The Mets are weak defensively and highly overrated. I would hate to have to pitch to the Braves and Nationals giving up four outs an inning consistently. The Phillies seem better than the Mets to me.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Paxton for cheap and 1yr seems like a missed opportunity. When he pitches he pitches well, big lefty and is an Ace if healthy. Even if diminished he is still a smart look for 1yr

Odorizzi is a multi year deal undoubtedly…Porcello must be the look if we want 1yr and cheap

A couple veteran minor league contracts for MI backup and a vet SP the same way

I just do not trust the rotation right now…as much as CMart looked good to be working over the winter and in those games I am still hesitant to depend on him…or Reyes…age of Waino…Mikolas return to form…and even JAck return to Ace form…

Participant

Free

Jager:

Your concerns about the rotation are spot on…it worries me.

Participant

I just do not trust the rotation right now…as much as CMart looked good to be working over the winter and in those games I am still hesitant to depend on him…or Reyes…age of Waino…Mikolas return to form…and even JAck return to Ace form…

I think a lot of Card fans feel the same way and some kind of injury to any of the above would be very problematic and leave the FO scrambling to fill a spot with a sense of desperation. A scenario that should be avoided. Not to sound pessimistic but having all the question marks fall our way is less than 50/50, IMO

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My take is they shouldn’t have signed Waino then and used that money on a pitcher that is not considered a question mark. We know they are working with a down payroll and self-defined their limited flexibility to add players as a result. We don’t have to like it, but we also shouldn’t pretend it is not there front and center.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why is Wainwright considered a question mark, any more than Happ, Quintana and Robbie Ray who also signed for 1/8mil?
    Unless you’re saying add $ to Adams 8mil, I’d prefer Wainwright of those four above.

Participant

Free

Of the SP options still remaining, I like the 28 year old Taijuan Walker the most. He had 11 starts last year and put up very nice numbers which leads me to believe he has the most upside. If he would do one year with an option year included, the upside for the Cards could be huge.

He was projected at 2/16M (take that with a grain of salt of course), but due to the 2021 budget situation, working in the option year with a bigger buyout might make sense. $4M in 2021 with a 3M B/O or $10.5M option? Essentially making this year $7M and an option for 7.5M for 2022. That could turn out to end up looking like a steal, especially with all of the money coming off the books going into next year.

Participant

Free

jj-cf-stl:

His age, his injury history (not extensive but significant) and his perceived fragility.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So same concerns as last winter then, before Adam became the ace of the 2020 rotation, and carried the pitching staffs IP. Understandable age related concerns, but again, who would we have preferred this winter for the same salary?

I have concerns how he holds up over a 162 game season, but I also disagree they “shouldn’t have signed Waino then and used that money on a pitcher that is not considered a question mark”. Who is this preferred pitcher for the same money or less?

Participant

Free

Most important might be his leadership presence. He’s a rock.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

jj said:

but I also disagree they “shouldn’t have signed Waino then and used that money on a pitcher that is not considered a question mark”.

I am the one who wrote this, but I do not agree with it either. It was my way of saying, “The Cardinals are not going to pay for two good-quality MLB starting pitchers this winter. They got their man and there won’t be any more signed.”

They might still add a journeyman kind of guy on an NRI deal, but forget about the Odorizzi or Walker types who would be guaranteed a rotation spot. I just cannot see the Cardinals spending the money.

Guess I should have just said that in the first place.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kevin Pillar signs with the NYM and it may cost Jose Martinez his 40man spot.

The NYM have recently collected Pillar, Almora Jr and Khalil Lee, all 40man outfielders, along with their starting three and Guillermo Heredia.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting group in New York. Their starting three (Conforto, Nimmo and Smith) are strong hitters but they are lining up defense behind them. Almora is very good. Pillar is still solid and I dunno how Lee (who is a lefty) is but they are getting some right handed ability in there at least. I’m hopeful that we can poach one of their OFs at some point to bolster our offense while maintaining only a single weak link in the defense.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It makes you wonder if the Mets are collecting OF’s in anticipation of a trade they are working on. It still wouldn’t surprise me if Kris Bryant is dealt before opening day.

Participant

Free

jj:

You’re right for the salary. Some would want the Front Office to spend 20 million on a starter, not likely to happen. For me, I would’ve passed on Wainwright and put Ponce in the rotation. But IF he stays healthy and he can still pitch then it’s a bargain.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Three Months

Ponce is the new Brebbia. Out of options and starting opportunities, Ponce must move on to his new role. Oviedo, Woodford, and Rondon will try to hold Liberatore’s spot down until at least August. Maybe everyone stays healthy and we just ride those horses.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Tim Tebow retires and now this:

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wowsers. That just set the bar for any future pre-free agency, let alone pre-arb extensions. I can’t imagine going that high for a guy with 1 season worth of plate appearances. A massive gamble by the Padres. Very bold.

Participant

Free

Is that a deal San Diego will come to regret some day sooner than later? Great player but that is a massive deal for a player that has plenty left to prove.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

$640M on the left side of the San Diego infield.

Participant

Free

Hosmer at 21 million at 1B and Myers 22.5 million. Plus Darvish at 22 million and dang that’s a lot of money for 5 players.

Participant

Free

Texas Card:

Hosmer, Myers and Darvish. How is that 5 players?

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The “640M on the left side of the San Diego infield” is Tatis Jr and Machado, plus the 3 players TexasCard named.
    ———
    “For me, I would have passed and put Ponce in the rotation.”

And then spent Adams 8mil on a bat for the lineup. The need is there, but Adams legacy signing and continuing the outfield auditions likely overrode signing Rosario for 1/8mil, or Pederson for 1/7mil.

I was 50/50 on Wainwright vs adding a bat decision, until we traded away Gomber which cost us SP depth, and added Arenado to the lineup.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Petco Park has turned into Fort Knox. Must have a lot of gold stored up out there.

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 354 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years