Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 531 total)
  • Author
    LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar said Goold said:

The Cardinals will continue to seek some middle-infield depth on minor-league deals, and they will keep tabs on other free agents, such as starting pitchers, even as spring begins.

Notice that this paragraph lacks any Mo quotes, unlike the earlier snippets. Perhaps Derrick has other sources, but I can assure you that Mo has not been that specific in any Zoom sessions. I will be surprised if they add anyone of substance. (I don’t consider a High-A reliever with three MLB innings like Quezada to be an exception.)

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Haha. This is funny.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice pickup for the Royals. Benny will be a good fit there.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Three team project potential swap of players. Makes me wonder why KC didn’t shop in the Profar, Pederson isle earlier and keep their own projects. Now that BOS has dumped Benintendis salary, maybe they do do just that. Sold very low on Beni, but I guess they have their reasons.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bos to pay 40-ish % of Beni’s 2021 salary. Helps the KC perspective paying 3.8mil in 2021 and rights to tender or non-tender his 2022 arb3.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Unless the Red Sox turned down better offers, I could argue that they did not sell low. It tells me that his real market value was below its perceived value. He was rumored to be on the block for months so all 29 other teams had plenty of opportunity to assess…

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s sell low compared to all the Bader and Gant for Benintendi discussions here!

14NyquisT
    Participant

This is from Fansided

Specifically, the Cardinals are looking for middle-infield depth on minor-league deals, according to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, though he did not specify on which player(s) the team is interested in.

Among the top options available who could make sense include Eric Sogard and Joe Panik. When Sogard signed with the Brewers last winter, the team was hopeful he could be an everyday player in the infield. Instead, he struggled and was designated for assignment halfway through the year. He would come on a non-roster invite type deal, which is something the Cardinals are said to be prioritizing in their search to fill out the rest of the roster.

Panik, however, does not come with as much upside. While he was a strong player with the San Francisco Giants at second base for multiple years, his play has drastically declined to the point where he struggled to land a minor-league contract. Perhaps the Cardinals look here, but if they want a player who offers upside to play second base or any other parts of the infield, Sogard would be the best bet of the two.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The player the Mets got in that trade is Khalil Lee. I have seen him play before with the Royals AA Texas League affiliate. He is a very toolsy OF with a lot of speed and some pop. He was ranked 8th in the Royals system at one time. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him at the big league level within a year.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Of the Middle infielders available for depth and probably a minor league deal, the guys i kind of like are:

S Rodriguez- Cardinals killer, last year still recovering IMO…good stick plays everywhere
    Asdrubal- good stick, ok at SS but a veteran
    Goins-speed always seems capable
    Descalso- know what we get, maybe a glory days last hurrah
    Hechevarria- still a great defender and plenty of experience
    Adrianza- last year was not great, but versatile and a decent AVG bat
    D Lugo- experience and a bit of speed
    Keon Wong- felt he never gota real chance, and kind of a guy to keep in the family

ALL of these guys have red flags

But we arent talking a starter, maybe a taxi or depth guy. If they have ONE good tool that is worth a shot IMO

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we knew the DH was coming back for sure, a Brad Miller type wouldn’t be a bad signing. That is looking dicey now, so I’m ok with not clogging up more at bats on a guy who may not be much better than Carp. Miller had some success in Philly before so it makes sense that they still like him.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think almost all of those guys can be got for a minor league deal with invite

What is the harm in protecting yourself a bit more than MOroff and Rondon?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I tend to agree jager. I think we are an injury or two away from having a problem with IF depth.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I think that you can say the same about outfield depth.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cards get C Ali Sanchez from Mets for cash considerations per Rotoworld.He goes on the 40-man roster.A defensive first young catcher.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At least in the OF you have Dean, Williams, Thomas…and Edman…maybe Capel or Thorres or Toerner …3-4 guys for 3 spots

The IF depth behind the 4 IF positions…is… Carp, Sosa, then a big drop to Moroff Rondon, Mendoza and even Gorman…and that is stretching it already

I’d feel a lot better with Hechavarria and Sean Rodriguez or even Descalso… Some guys with some real MLB experience

and to be honest…Rodrigues I think can play the OF too…

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

Who do you need beyond Dejong, Edman, and Sosa? Carpenter can play 2B for a bit, if two of them go out with an injury. Someone like Sogard would be available otherwise too.

We haven’t been in a position like this in a while, but if it’s a long term injury, they’ll make a trade like picking up Furcal or DeRosa in the past.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This helps the Cards as he won’t be in Milwaukee.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agreed. I was a bit concerned the Brewers might land him. As it stands we should still be considered the favorites for the division, despite what Pecota says.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One less option for the NYM to upgrade at 3B. Maybe the trickle down effect helps the CHC trade Bryant.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good point JJ. You have to feel the Mets aren’t quite done since they missed out on Bauer and Turner. Bryant would be a good target for them but you can bet that the Cubs would want JD Davis and others in return. The Mets might do it if the Cubs throw Hendricks in the deal also.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With Bryant and Hendricks salaries, surely the NYM would want to offset with Familia and/or Betances, which may be a sticking point.

ATL and WSH still seem like suitors to me for Bryant but they don’t have unused Bauer dollars sitting around like the NYM do.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep, the Nats love those Boras clients.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 531 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years