Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 464 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Let me be clear, I am not anti-O’Neill. I know he has a lot of potential but I am just trying to be realistic about his accomplishments to date. I was just saying that if Mo were looking for a LH OF with a more proven history Benny would be a good target.

Having said that I am fine with going with what we have. Having Arenado in the lineup takes some of the pressure off of the OF’s to be big producers although some improvement is needed. I like the fact that O’Neill, Bader, Carlson, Thomas, Williams, and Dean are all young and rather athletic. We would have a great defensive OF with that group and I am old school when it comes to pitching and defense.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if MIL has the payroll space for Turner after the Wong signing? WSH might be limited too, which makes the Mets a bigger favorite for Turner now than the LAD? I guess backloading is a possibility for all if Turner gets his years.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What if the Brewers signed Turner then traded Cain to the Mets?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

then Nimmo to STL and Bader to MIL, easy peasy!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think the Red Sox would do that deal straight up. The Cardinals would have to sweeten the pot. But the idea has potential.

I agree. Although I think the sweetening could be to even the money up and maybe a low level prospect from St Louis. Neither had good 2020s and both had injuries.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I think it could be straight up but the Cardinals would probably have to send the Red Sox 2 or 3 million.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Believe Benintendi would be the target

UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wonder if Boston would swap Benintendi straight up for Martinez?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wonder if Boston would swap Benintendi straight up for Martinez?

As I stated earlier in this thread, no I don’t think they would. CMart has negative trade value. The Cardinals would have to kick in money or prospects.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

Not sure there is a lot left in the Free Agent OF market, could possibly see Reddick or a Brett Gardner as a NRI….Jackie Bradley is going to get decent $ coming off pretty good #’s last year.

I could see them giving O’Neil the first couple of months and if he isn’t getting it done making a trade.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So typical of Mo always leaving us a player or 2 short of a great ball club.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Darn that Mo! DeWitt keeps wanting him to spend more of his money and he just refuses to do it… 😉

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the Cards are fine with seeing if those players may be lurking within the Cardinal clubhouse or if they need to go outside for it. It’s possible that O’Neill and Carlson are plus bats with plus gloves. It’s possible Dejong will hit like his first half self and not his second half self. Any or all of those players could be 4-5 WAR guys if things go above average this year. It’s possible that Carlos continues his momentum from Winter Ball and is a rotation stalwart. It’s possible that Alex Reyes finally gets to start and shows the potential that got us all atwitter leasing up to 2016. Combine those guys with Goldy, Arenado and Flaherty and you have a championship nucleus.

If those guys can’t hack it, then you always have the trade deadline or next off season to take the next step. I’m sure Nolan Gorman would be a very fine trade chip to get whomever we want after he terrorizes the hitter’s parks of the Texas and Pacific Coast Leagues this year.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think a cheap middle infield addition would be good or maybe another rotation piece.

Otherwise, we should be in good shape in regards to the division right now. If we want to take a shot at the Dodgers in postseason we can always make a move at the deadline. The payroll space should be there.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar said:

I think a cheap middle infield addition would be good…

Jose Rondon and Max Moroff have already been signed.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jose Rondon and Max Moroff have already been signed.

True. Those guys may be sufficient or if we want more depth we could bring back Schrock or sign someone like Asdrubal Cabrera to give Sosa more competition for the backup IF spot.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Or we could just let Sosa run with it. He’s always been known as a good glove and he could well provide better than hoped for production with the bat. He could at least start a few games for Dejong against LHP. He doesn’t have a big split difference but was better against lefties for 3 of his 4 years in full season ball.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Appears the club chose the SS depth of Moroff / Rondon, over Schrock and Cabreras’ non-SS depth, to give Sosa backup SS depth.
    Defensively Carpenter already has Schrocks 2B/3B backup depth covered, and Cabreras’ 1B/3B? depth?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we have no infield injuries we should be in good shape. If we were to have an injury or two on the infield then we might have to scramble.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

From Derrick Goold today:

Looking ahead
    The Cardinals are set to open spring training in one week, and Mozeliak said the focus in the coming days will be on new health and safety protocols agreed to Monday night by players and owners.

The 108-page manual outlines refined, updated, and some familiar coronavirus protocols for teams as camps open. Mozeliak said he’s “pretty confident with the team we have going into camp.”

The Cardinals will continue to seek some middle-infield depth on minor-league deals, and they will keep tabs on other free agents, such as starting pitchers, even as spring begins.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Ok. My Amazing Kreskin call is Brad Miller and Mike Leake as NRI’s on minor league deals. Miller seems obvious, but I hope Schrock slips back to us.
    Adam will organize a pitcher’s emphasis on hitting this final year, and Leake will rake this spring. He had a meteoric rise to the bigs and we find he still has options. The deflated ball and our ball park create optimism that we will finally see the Leake we dreamed he would be.
    Fortunately, he never makes it into our top ten starters and retires at the end of spring.
    Miller will have a Spezio-moment in the post season and find a place in our hearts.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I would like to add James Paxton and Andrew Benintendi.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

That’s the dream, isn’t it?

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 464 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years