Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 2,234 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I read a report earlier today that the Giants are looking to make a trade for an OF. Supposedly they would be willing to part with some veteran pitching. I find this information to be intriguing.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Gscottar, I hear the Cards are loaded with OF’s, who would it take to get MadBum and Will Smith? (I’m still dreaming)

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We have plenty of options to choose from. If there was ever an instance when two teams lined up for a trade this is it. If the Giants are ready to do a deal now then the asking price could be quite high since both players would be more than just two month rentals.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I miss Bader’s dazzling, game-saving plays. But this outfield with Fowler in center, Ozuna in left, and Martinez (or O’Neill) in right presently looks like a championship outfield.

I agree. We do have options to choose from. It does seem like we match up with the Giants well.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Would a package of Lane Thomas, Justin Williams, Randy Arozarena and Helsley come close to getting them both? Helsley is included to give them someone to take over MadBum’s rotation spot and has some upside. Their system, at first glance, is shockingly weak throughout.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m beginning to think that O’Neill may never get a fair shake in the OF here, and he doesn’t seem to adjust well as a pinched hitter. So, I’m tempted to make him the centerpiece of a trade. That prob covers Madbum. So who for Smith? One of Ponce or Helsley? Then throw in a lower level guy that maybe turns into something, like a Dellavalle, Parsons or the like.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I’m in agreement to an extent, but next year I don’t see Ozuna returning, unless he accepts the QO which I highly doubt with numbers he’s putting up and they might have him penciled in there. JMart, Bader and Fowler would still be a pretty solid OF with Thomas as the 4th. There are countless other potential options as well, but they are all very unproven.

That being said, Madbum and W. Smith would put the Cards as the front runner in the NL so it is worth the risk. Assuming things stay the same I wouldn’t probably do it at the deadline, but right now for 5/6ths of a season and basically going all in, I would.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not in favor of trading Helsley or Thomas. Helsley could prove valuable for the rest of the year as a Brebbia-type, riding the Memphis-St Louis shuttle. I still think he has major potential as a starter too.
    Thomas could pass O’Neill on the outfielder pecking order, and looked very impressive in his brief St Louis callup.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

Wonder if the nationals would be willing to trade scherzer if they keep sliding out of contention, he also would have 3 years or so left on his contract. Though they may turn it when they get some players back

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting idea ghost. I’m not sure the Cardinals would want that contract though. The AAV for the next three years is 37, 35, and 34. Gulp! The Cards had a chance to go after Max when he was a FA and they passed.

A more likely scenario for the Nats is they fire their manager. They don’t keep managers very long and Martinez has been an abject failure. They fired Dusty Baker after seasons of 95 and 97 wins respectively and Martinez has obviously been much worse than that.

14NyquisT
    Participant

It looks like Lilliquist took the heat.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I missed this the other day.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With all the outfield talent, infield talent, and pitching talent at Memphis, you have to think that there is trade talk going on. The problem that I see is that there’s no room for a new player on the current 25-man roster, not even for Stroman or Bumgarner. I guess, if they acquired Stroman or Bumgarner, they could put Hudson in the bank at Memphis and save him for a rainy day. But I get the idea that the consensus in the organization is that Hudson doesn’t have anything more to gain by going to Memphis, so sending him down would be unfair.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Stroman and Sanchez both have value because they are relatively young and controlled through 2020. I have no idea what a trade for them would look like. If we got one of them then we wouldn’t have to worry about replacing Wacha or Waino next year.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Stroman or Sanchez would be nice…id have to think Giles is available too if we wanted to inquire…

SF still seems to be our best match IMO… MadBum and Will Smith are temp guys until the end of the year…but that can be a good thing…i just dont know if it drives the price down more than the difference in price of the guys from the Jays with an extra year of control

Targeting Will Smith for the short term….he won’t be cheap…but he would be worth considering re-signing IMO…. Mendoza + Arozarena + Seijas…see if that works….consider Thomas or ONeill but try to keep it 1 for 1…see if POnce is intriguing enough for them too…

then… try Oneill for Stroman straight up…they seem to have space in the OF and ONeill might be intriguing like Grichuk…they will probably want more…so add a Woodford or POnce or OViedo arm and see how close that gets…add in more as needed

We upgrade our team immensely for the rest of this year…and Stroman stays on next year to boot

offseason…
    Ozuna QO but he leaves
    Wacha QO but he leaves
    Gyorko leaves
    Waino retires
    re-sign Will Smith
    Lane Thomas is up to spell Fowler, JMart, and BAder…Carlson inches closer
    re-sign Wieters for 1yr deal again, or see who else is out there cheap…

Jack, Mik, Stroman, CMart/Reyes, Hudson…Reyes/Gomber
    Hicks, Smith, Miller, Gant, Brebbia, Mayers, Leone, Gallegos….Helsley CMart? Reyes?
    Carp,Goldy,DeJong,Jmart,Yadi,Fowler,Wong,Bader
    Munoz, Wieters, Thomas, Edman

we lose some punch without Ozuna…the bullpen is a beast and protects us from any growing pains…the rotation is top heavy, but Reyes and Hudson are high ceiling still, with Cmart still a wildcard…the bench is young cheap and internal for the most part with several options at Memphis

It would be a relatively boring offseason by only re-signing Smith, but it solidifies a weakness in our farm. It also paves the way for the young talent to get closer to replace the vets…Carlson, Montero, Gorman, as well as other upstarts will all be knocking on the door after 2020 IMO which should coincide pretty well with some expiring contracts of… Carp, Fowler, even Wong and JMart too…

I think 2021 will be an interesting year as i look at the contracts and rising hitters…we coudl have some impact guys chomping at the bit to make an impact

2022 could be a whole new era: only Goldy, Mikolas, DeJong, and CMart (i think?) under contract

For giggles:
    Jack, Mik, Reyes, Hudson, Gomber
    Hicks, Gant, Helsley, BRebbia, Gallegos, Mayers, Genesis, Webb (gotta find good lefties again)
    Knizner (C), Goldy (1b), DeJong (SS), Carlson (LF), Gorman (3b), Thomas (RF), Bader (CF), Edman (2b)
    Munoz, Montero, Ortega (C), Arozarena

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Matthew Boyd is apparently being shopped by Detroit. But they apparently think they should get a prospect like Fernanado Tatis, Jr. or Eloy Jimenez for him. Good luck for that.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Boyd is definitely sell high…but i think a team like the A’s might bite…..though at that level of prospect he will eb a Tiger for a while

Shane Greene might be al ittle sell high in theory….but he has been pretty rock steady for the last 3 years

14NyquisT
    Participant

The Orioles should start sending out fliers for 27 y.o. OF Trey Mancini. Also John Means a 26 y.o. 6’3′” left handed starter. Both are putting up good numbers and don’t figure in BAL’s future plans.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ny, not sure if you meant the Cards should take a look at those two guys. If so, I would agree on Means. He is a youngish, cost controlled LH pitcher who is having a very good year. He can start or come out of the pen. As for Mancini, he is having a good year but the Cards have a plethora of RH OF’s already so he would seem to be a duplication of resources.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bumgarner does make the most sense in that he is a bonafide stopper which is something that this teams lacks. I’m not sure Mikolas is that guy is yet. Flaherty and Reyes both have the potential to be to be top of the rotation pitchers, but neither is close to being there for now. The problem with Bumgarner is that he is surely a rental. There’s no way the Cardinals are going to offer him more than 4, or maybe, 5 years, and he surely will want at least 6 years. I don’t like rentals. I’d rather go with players that are committed to the team and the organization and the fan base.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Has Matthew Boyd turned a corner this year? If he has, and with his stuff he could be a fair #2, or good to very good # 3. But these situations depend on Detroit’s value of him. If I was them, I would hang on to him, as he is first time arbitration eligible in 2020, and under control thru 2022.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Unless he pitches much, much better, I don’t believe Wacha will get a QO. He might take the offer, and that is probably not money well spent.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With Wacha’s health issues over the years, he might not want to take a chance on missing out on a 3 or 4 year contract. OTOH, if he takes the QO, he picks up another $18M, or so, and the following year there’s no draft compensation for him signing with another team. I think our front office gives him a QO if they sincerely want him back for one year, and doesn’t give him one if they don’t want him back. I don’t think they give much weight to draft compensation for a player when deciding what to do.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

he is a tricky QO guy…if he stays healthy all year i think he gets the QO and doesnt take it…if he injures himself at some point (even a minor woudl throw flags up…i am thinking if he misses a month total) or is terrible…then I am not sure we offer it…he isnt old, but I think he would have to look at a 1yr deal anyways to prove his health…and undoubtedly for less than 18mil

If he is healthy, and solid to good…i think we give the offer, unless we trade for someone else we like better (Stroman, Bumgarner, Ray etc.)….if he is middling but healthy you probably let him walk…

to me I think you try to move him at the deadline if healthy…even if he is good…I think we have to find another impact pitcher before the season is over…and I am not sure Wacha can be that guy…so deal him to someone for something, and do another deal to bring in to up the quality from that spot…

Bring in Stroman
    and
    Will Smith

impact SP out of the AL East with another year of control and rental impact lefty

then move Wacha and Gyorko either as a part of those deals or in separate deals..we might not get much, but it is time

Final push rotation:
    Mik, Jack, Stroman, Hudson, Waino/Reyes…Reyes, POnce, Gomber for depth
    Hicks, Smith, Miller, CMart, Gant, Brebbia, Leone, Mayers…Helsley, Webb for depth

rotation is solid to potentially dominant
    bullpen can make any bad day in the rotation still a bad day for opponents…straight nasty
    lineup is solid, bench removes Gyorko, but you can bring up several options to fill the role

nevertheless, I think it is time to move on from Wacha unless he turns into the guy who started last year off so well…if he can put together 2 months of phenomenal play then start figuring out the extension now…and consider moving Reyes or Hudson for other upgrades in the offseason or now…

I think we have several gusy in the system who could be giving us what Wacha gives us…

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 2,234 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years