Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Viewing 9 posts - 2,226 through 2,234 (of 2,234 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Five years is a long commitment for an overseas player with no MLB track record…

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think 4 years is fairly standard unless the player has a desire to go shorter to maximize their MLB earnings. Jung Ho Kang and Byung Ho Park both got 4 year deals, albeit for less money than Kim is likely to get. Still, for a 25 year old it doesn’t seem crazy to try to sign him for 5 years.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some teams may be comfortable with those terms, but I’d bet the Cardinals are not among them…

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Some teams may be comfortable with those terms, but I’d bet the Cardinals are not among them…

Just by the odds, you are likely right. We do know that the Cards wanted to sign Mikolas for longer than 2 years. Not sure about Kim or Oh. We know they bid big on Luis Robert.

For a younger player, if they feel confident about the scouting…it’s not that huge a risk. Even if they go to the top of the expected scale at 5 yrs/$40M, it’s still half a Fowler and about the same as the Carp extension, with not a lot of likelihood that you get totally skunked on it like those two. I’m sure it would have to depend on how comfortable they felt with their assessment based on scouting and video and the fit with the player.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

4yrs with option sounds good for 25 yr old

He has a track record. It’s just harder to compare. But obviously our scouts value those Asian leagues at high levels as Oh Mikolas and Kim are all evidence.

25 yr old with pop. Defense flex at positions we are in need of.

We’ve seen a track.record the last 3 yrs of carp being not good. And we are going to go with that? Feels.like the upside of Kim is a better bet. Even if it isn’t the same stats as Asia. If he hits .250 with 15 hr and 65 RBI between 3b SS and 2b seems fine and worth 10mil. Especialky when he is only 25 and would have room for improvement

Arihara just got 7mil I think for 2 yrs and some of that is post freight think

Cheap

Cespedes’ lityle brother only took 2m to snag

Cheap

If Kim is 4 yrs 40 (ok ncluding post fee) with team option that seems pretty high and probably appropriate.

I still think it’s a real.time to snag these imports for cheaper than normal.

I’m starting to even wonder if Sugano gets 8m

Sugano and Kim are the headliners. Could be bargains in this market.

Nishikawa in this market probably won’t get anything near what Akiyama got so another option.

Rangers need a 3b. I have feeling they may snag Kim

Participant

Free

Daniel Kim 대니얼 김
    @DanielKimW
    ·
    3h
    Ha-seong Kim left Korea for medicals. His destination is unknown at this time, but if you are wondering, there actually was a direct flight to Toronto from Seoul which left at 10:20 am KST. #mlb #kb

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Guess we will find out. There are also flights to Dallas, Atlanta and Chicago today. I would be shocked if the Jays and their high taxes won a bidding war. Possibly the Rangers. Still hoping St Louis is in it, but may not be in the cards this time. No doubt they made a “robust, competitive offer.”

Participant

Free

Daniel Kim 대니얼 김
    @DanielKimW
    ·
    9m
    Ha-seong Kim’s possible check list

1. $$$
    2. Position – SS or 3B
    3. Team that is ready to win now
    4. City w/ big Korean community

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looks like the Padres got Snell maxing out on Mejias value I guess.

Looks like they are about to get Darvish for Campusano

And looks like they are getting Kim for 5 yrs in the high 20m range.

I feel like we could have moved to get Snell with Knizner and more from the Rays. Maybe a young pitcher we would be less needed for with Snell in the rotation. They undoubtedly had other interest in the team when doing the Randy and Jmart deal.

And Kim for under 6mil seems a steal. Even at 5yrs. He’s 26 and even as a super utility that amount isn’t crazy.

San Diego is doing everything a lot of people wish their own clubs would do. Be active and look to make moves instead of waiting for someone else to make moves or be told what is going to happen.

We are doing nothing because ownership thinks they can do nothing and still get into the playoffs with a rebuilding division in the Central. It’s lazy and disrespectful.

That SD team from last year destroyed us. Add in two top flight starters and a hitter and we have no chance against them. Let alone the Dodgers.

They have gotten better and we have done nothing but lose se of our most productive players. (Yalu Wong Waino Miller)

Viewing 9 posts - 2,226 through 2,234 (of 2,234 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years